legotux

My first MOC: Tender for a dual 4.5V PF Train combi

All the photos plus descriptions are here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Q90Jehx

Finally, all the ordered parts have arrived and I could assemble and build and test it today. These are two 4.5V 70s/80s train motors, one in the tender and one in the 7720 loc.

The tender also has a Power Functions receiver and a 4.8V NiMH battery pack. The charger is USB and the batteries can be charged via the plug, no need to remove anything.

I tried to push-pull 17 wagons with it, which was succesful (engines in the middle). Then I tried to pull all 21 wagons I own (engines in front), which failed because the magnets wouldn't hold despite added thin neodymium magnet discs.

I'll see about uploading a video if the quality is acceptable... Ah yes the roof of the tender wasn't finished yet in the video =>

And new attempt with all 21 wagons succeeded (23 wagons if you count the engines too): https://youtu.be/8dZ3aVw015E

Legotux

Edited by legotux
videos

Nice little layout, and good idea. I also once tried a double motor articulated 4,5V locomotive, with power from track to do some tests on ramps and heavy trains. It was quite unreliable and I did only see a little traction gain, as I was not using motors with similar use as I should have done.
Is it a modified switch the 10233 is standing? Do you have any pictures of it? I would also like to make such a switch with no space between tracks, but I have yet to resolve the electrical issues when used on double track.

The layout is not finished by far, it's supposed to go across the room, etc.  I had to rethink my whole setup because otherwise no way to make a train station long enough to fit a double 10233.

I combined my frankenstein four points unfinished experiment with an extended 7822 station. A picture is in this thread here  But note that it is very experimental still. For example I do not think the 10233 can switch tracks here, the nose 'swerves' too far out so there is not enough room. I'm still pondering on fixing that or not. The 10233 has a tendency to derail on these points anyway, so maybe it's just not worth the effort.  But when/if I try to fix it, probably the best idea is to try and adjust the height of the platform to stay just under the nose of the 10233. And warn the minifig passengers to stay well clear :wink:

The end goal is to make a 12V compatible layout with blue rails, with the extra grey sleepers I mentioned in another thread, and run the 10233, a PF-powered 4.5V train, and a 12V train on it. All of them with double engines, not just for power but also to make the 12V train+track more reliable.

I had a 7.5% ramp that crossed the track first but I had to abandon that idea, I can't combine it with the station. Instead there will be several milder 5% ramps to overcome several obstacles in the room. I don't think the 10233 could climb the 7.5% ramp anyway.

Legotux

Edited by legotux
fix typo