Hi everyone, 

I have been running all my models with standard AA-battery boxes (running with 2800 mA AA batteries). Now i am wondering if that, besides space saving AAA-boxes are able to deliver higher output or are better than AA-Boxes. And, in such case, any significant difference between rechargeable 8878 battery box and AAA-battery box?

Many thanks!

Hi!

For PF motors I use the BuWizz which has 3 power settings and basic remote control. I stop using the Lego battery boxes for PF MOCs.

For PU hubs I use Eneloop Pro batteries as I like to use the Lego PU app. for custom coding.

Cheers!

Nikos

6 hours ago, HectorMB said:

Hi everyone, 

I have been running all my models with standard AA-battery boxes (running with 2800 mA AA batteries). Now i am wondering if that, besides space saving AAA-boxes are able to deliver higher output or are better than AA-Boxes. And, in such case, any significant difference between rechargeable 8878 battery box and AAA-battery box?

Many thanks!

Rechargeable AA and AAA have both the same voltage/power. The thing is that original Lego Battery boxes and electronics restrict te current so you never have full power. It's just a safety feature. 

If you want full power you need BuWizz or rc electronics 

On 1/21/2021 at 8:25 AM, HectorMB said:

And, in such case, any significant difference between rechargeable 8878 battery box and AAA-battery box?

I don't have any AAA battery boxes, but I will say that my 8878 battery has been excellent, far better than my AA ones. Although the AA/AAA boxes offer higher voltage when using non-rechargeable batteries, voltage drops significantly as the batteries are used up, while the 8878 box offers a steady, reliable 7.4V. I do realize, though, that 8878 is getting to be stupidly expensive used, and I probably wouldn't buy a replacement if mine died.

Many thanks for your comments! I think one interesting alternative could be to bypass the fuse that limits the output power in the standard AA battery boxes. Is true that the size of the standard boxes is a step down, but the price of the rechargeable boxes is something difficult to overcome. I mean: they're closer in price to a BuWizz that to the regular AA battery boxes...