10272 Old Trafford review!

How well do you like this set?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How well do you like this set?

• ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    • ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    • ⭐⭐⭐
    • ⭐⭐

Let me start of by saying that I'm not a fan soccer, so I originally intended to skip this. But when I saw it for $188 (Yes you read that right) I had to pick it up for the parts, because that's the way things works!

If the model impresses me enough, I will keep it built. If not, I'll take it apart to build MOCs...

The build:

It's split into 21 numbered bags and 5 sections (The pitch and 4 other sections)
The pitch is arguably the most boring and the most simple part of the build. All you really need to do is just stack the printed parts onto the studs. Yes, it's as simple as that!!!

The East Stand is where things get a lot more interesting. A lot of technic parts are used to support the building. There is also slopes on both sides, only appearing in very few sets before.

The roofs are simple, yet affective. It simply stacks on the studs, and it's very stable! It's not perfect, however. One example is that bother me is that the transparent bricks doesn't look so transparent when stacked with one another. I would liked to see a large transparent piece instead of several small pieces, but I understand that The LEGO Group is simply trying to make the set have more pieces. It's also extremely hard to understand why some gray pieces are used. Especially that the same piece has existed in white. Both of them ruins the looks significantly in my opinion.
Lastly, the bleachers. My first impression is that it looks amazing, and it hasn't changed when it was built! But I find the stickers ruining the looks a little bit because of two reasons: First, the colors are very close to the same, but not exactly the same. I also find it hard to attach them perfect. Printed parts would have been appreciated, especially given that there are printed parts in this set.
Stretford End is very, very similar to the East Stand. The only difference is the minor exterior details, so I won't be talking about the build here!
Sir Alex Fergusion Stand is by far the most interesting and complex part of the build, which is also why I surprisingly enjoyed this section! The structure also uses technic pins and other unusual parts for support. It becomes more challenging as you get further in this part of the build. It does require sticking things in weird places, but that's simply the style of designer Mike Psiaki!
The bleachers are done reasonably well considering the limitations of the LEGO parts. For example, the designer has used unusual parts to achieve the triangular shape of the bleachers. The other bleachers are also done well. But just like I said, I would have liked to see more printed parts and less stickers, but I'm satisfied with this section of the build nonetheless!

Sir Bobby Charlton Stand seems like a smaller version of the Sir Alex Fergusion Stand, and the build is similar as well. Almost the same structure is used for the internal support on both of them.

The bleachers are very similar, and also uses stickers. That brings us a total of 72 stickers! Just... wow.

Printed Parts:

Brick 1 x 4 with 3 Red Bordered Rectangles Print (Part 3010)
Panel 1 x 2 x 1 with Rounded Corners and 2 Sides with Net Print (Part 23969)
Tile 6 x 6 with Bottom Tubes with Soccer Field, Center print (Part 10202)
Tile 6 x 6 with Bottom Tubes with Soccer Field, Side Line print (Part 10202)
Tile 8 x 16 with Bottom Tubes with Soccer Field Goal Area print (Part 90498)

Rare Colors (According to Rebrickable):

Plate Special 1 x 2 [Top Clip] In Dark Bluish Gray (Part 92280)

Plate Special 1 x 2 [Top Clip] In Medium Dark Flesh (Part 92280)

Plate Special 1 x 3 with 2 Studs with Groove and Inside Stud Holder In Red (Part 34103)
Brick Curved 1 x 4 x 3 In Trans Clear (Part 65734)
Windscreen 1 x 10 x 4 In Trans Clear (Part 65735)
Slope 25° 1 x 8 x 3 In White (Part 49618)

New Parts:

Brick Curved 1 x 4 x 3 In Trans Clear (Part 65734)
Windscreen 1 x 10 x 4 In Trans Clear (Part 65735)

Note: Both sets appeared in the 10271 Fiat 500 but that was released a month later.

Conclusion:

This is an excellent set and definitely a worthy addition to the buildings subtheme. It's very different from the previous ones but I think they will still look good together nonetheless. It has achieved excellent accuracy and I really love all the details it has! I would have preferred more printed parts, and the gray pieces looks a bit weird on the model.
But did I enjoy this set? Short answer: yes. The build was unlike anything other I've built before, so that itself is a winner for me! I highly recommend it, even if you're not a soccer fan! If you are a soccer fan, you're probably going to get this set right away. Regardless of its minor imperfections, it's still a great set.
With all things considered I'll probably end up rating it a 10/10.

Edited by JintaiZ

53 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

I can't call this a review.

Please have a look here and learn.
https://rebrickable.com/blog/271/review-10272-1-old-trafford-manchester-united/

@Jim

I understand I might be missing things, because I'm a TFOL. I will add a parts section soon.

Edited by JintaiZ

8 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I understand I might be missing things, because I'm a TFOL. 

Well, your reviews are a little on the short side and they don't have the level of detail found in other reviews. However, from the number of reviews like this you've been doing recently, it's clear you have a real passion for this, I think your enthusiasm definitely shows through, and that at least should be encouraged!

Have you heard about the eurobricks reviewers academy? It might be worth signing up so you can learn a bit more about the art of writing reviews.

25 minutes ago, NathanR said:

Well, your reviews are a little on the short side and they don't have the level of detail found in other reviews. However, from the number of reviews like this you've been doing recently, it's clear you have a real passion for this, I think your enthusiasm definitely shows through, and that at least should be encouraged!

Have you heard about the eurobricks reviewers academy? It might be worth signing up so you can learn a bit more about the art of writing reviews.

I've revised it a little bit.