Karalora

Halloween/Harvest Village

This thread is inspired by an offhand comment made by @Arstotle in the WV thread.

Halloween is the "other" holiday for which people like to go all-out with decorations, themed parties, etc....in the US, anyway. Its popularity is gradually spreading to other countries but I think it is still considered primarily an American holiday that has been exported, rather than a global holiday the way Christmas is. Therefore it might be prudent to call the line something like Harvest Village rather than Halloween Village.

As for sets, whereas the WV is mainly an ordinary town with a seasonal flair, with occasional fantasy sets...I think the HV should go in the opposite direction and have mostly fantasy sets featuring monster characters, and occasional sets that suggest the existence of a regular human town somewhere nearby. Christmas has a fairly limited stock of fantastic characters associated with it (Santa and his wife, the workshop elves, snowmen, gingerbread people, toy soldiers, that sort of thing), but Halloween can claim any and all spooky monsters that you can imagine. I think there's a lot of potential in sets that depict houses with a quirky structural theme and their inhabitants. (Some examples are in the list below.) And just as the WV is full of snowy roofs and icicles, every set in the HV should include foliage in the fall colors.

So without further ado, here is a list of Halloween/Harvest Village ideas just to get the ball rolling!

• Pumpkin House--a house shaped like a jack-o-lantern, including a "family" of pumpkin-headed minifigs and a pumpkin patch garden plot.
  • Skeleton House--a rickety house frame made of bones, including a "family" of skeleton minifigs and a skeletal dog, bone trees in the garden.
  • "Scary-Go-Round"--a carousel with skeletal horses, much like this one from the LA Haunted Hayride.
  • Farmer's Market--one of the few "mundane" sets, a series of market stalls where produce and other items are being sold. New food molds!
  • Graveyard Jamboree--a graveyard set with many interesting headstone and mausoleum builds, plus a zombie/ghost band playing instruments.
  • Witch's Cottage--a storybook cottage where a witch lives with her traditional black cat. (It occurred to me the other day that witch minifigs always come with brooms, but never have their cats! Why is that?)
  • Vampire Manor--one of the larger sets, a grand house with a bat motif and a "family" of vampire minifigs. This would not be a retread of the Haunted House from the old Monster Fighters line (a beloved set that I build for Halloween every year), but would be stylistically completely different.
  • Haycart Ride--another mundane set, a large wagon pulled by a tractor, for trick-or-treating kids to ride in. If you prefer ordinary towns to fantasy ideas, you could frame the entire village as a haunted attraction, with the monsters just performers in costume, and the haycart as the touring vehicle!

That's all for now but I will add to this later. Feel free to share your own ideas as well!

I would absolutely love something like this. It would combine well with the old Monster Fighters builds as well as Hidden Side (as well as use the ghost parts made for HS), and could keep the fans of those lines happy. With only one set per year I also don't see TLG ever running out of good ideas for a Halloween Village. So all thumbs up for it from me! :thumbup:

Do I believe it will actually happen? Not really - but I hope so. A man can dream, right? :excited:

A few more that just came to me:

• Mummy House--a mini-pyramid with a mummy couple in residence, plus a "birdhouse" (also pyramid-shaped) in the garden and a new vulture mold!
  • Costume Shop--one more for the mundane side of things, designed along similar lines to the WV shop sets, with a big display window featuring dressed up mannequins, and several cloth capes in different colors to represent different costumes hanging on racks (one of the Disney Princess sets does something like this).
  • Haunted Tree--a big old gnarly tree with a face in the bark and mushrooms at the base.
  • Spider House--a house with a spider motif, using web accessories from the Spider-Man sets as structural elements, with spider-people (either humanoid spider-monsters, or characters like the CMF Spider Lady, or both!) as residents.

And another batch of set ideas:

• Harvest Festival in the Park--a regular town set, depicting a public harvest celebration with themed carnival booths, market stalls, trees in autumn splendor, and a pumpkin-carving contest
  • Trick-or-Treat House--another mundane set...every neighborhood has at least one, that person who sets up the most elaborate decorations in their yard and gives out the best candy!
  • Spooky Greenhouse--we're back in the monster village now. Those horrific man-eating plants have to grow somewhere, don't they?
  • Horse-Drawn Hearse--an old-fashioned hearse from before the advent of the internal combustion engine, driven by none other than the Headless Horseman!

It occurs to me that I tend to think of individual builds rather than sets per se--some of these could easily be combined into larger sets. The Spooky Greenhouse would work well as an adjunct to the Pumpkin House since I've established that the pumpkin-people are gardeners. The Horse-Drawn Hearse could be bringing undead party guests to the Graveyard Jamboree. The Haycart Ride and Scary-go-Round could both be attractions at the festival in the park. Or different combinations!

Bumping this now that it's late August and the actual Halloween stores are popping up around town.