sammy_zammy

Advice on posting MOC instructions

Hi everyone,

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place (newbie here).

I'm interested in making some MOCs using Studio, and maybe uploading a showcase of the MOC to YouTube and also providing some instructions (made using Studio). Of course I'd also post the MOCs here! I have some queries and didn't know if anyone could help:

• Where do people usually share MOC instructions? Is there a specific website for it?
  • Are there any laws about posting instructions based on IPs like Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, etc? I don't plan on selling the instructions.
  • Since I'm unlikely to sell them, is there any disclaimer people would recommend stating to prevent other people stealing and selling them? (Heard a few horror stories.)

Thank you so much :classic:

12 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:
  • Where do people usually share MOC instructions? Is there a specific website for it?
  • Are there any laws about posting instructions based on IPs like Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, etc? I don't plan on selling the instructions.
  • Since I'm unlikely to sell them, is there any disclaimer people would recommend stating to prevent other people stealing and selling them? (Heard a few horror stories.)

Youtube or Bricksafe are two popular ones, youtube for step-by-step videos and Bricksafe for digital files. You can post the MOC here on EB in the respective theme forum with link to instructions.

No restrictions, you can share them.

If you're worried about that then the only way to be sure is to not share them. Unfortunately those types of people exist and they ruin the fun of sharing designs and cool builds for free.

Just now, koalayummies said:

Youtube or Bricksafe are two popular ones, youtube for step-by-step videos and Bricksafe for digital files. You can post the MOC here on EB in the respective theme forum with link to instructions.

No restrictions, you can share them.

If you're worried about that then the only way to be sure is to not share them. Unfortunately those types of people exist and they ruin the fun of sharing designs and cool builds for free.

Fab, thank you so much for your help that's exactly what I needed :laugh:

16 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

As long as you don't use any original artwork, i.e. the logos, poster type etc. there's nothing wrong with that.

16 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:
  • Since I'm unlikely to sell them, is there any disclaimer people would recommend stating to prevent other people stealing and selling them?

There is no such thing. People who want to rip it off will do so and for a million reasons disclaimers and copyright notices are not legally proof. They are just friendly reminders, nothing more.

Mylenium

You should publish your MOCs on Rebrickable. It's the biggest Lego MOC webside around. I post there too and it's a webside that helps you get known quick.

Kind of an already old topic, but for those who would be wondering the same questions, the first page to check would be this one : Rebrickable - Submitting MOCs

Basically, for free instructions, there is nothing to fear. Problems could potentially start when selling them, in particular if some copyrighted material is used (logos, pictures, specific designs, etc.). But for that, copyright holders should first stumble upon your MOC page and report the infringements to the site admins, which is quite unlikely: LEGO MOCing is growing popular but not to that point, and your MOC could only hurt official LEGO sets, so I would advise to avoid current licences used by LEGO for sets.

Anyhow, Rebrickable has an internal approval system for MOCs, so basically once they publish your MOCs, you should be fine.