This model has taken me waaayyy too long to finish. It is a scale model of my very own car with interior and opening everything.

2front2.jpg

2open.jpg

In this video I go through all the details, building techniques and compare it to the real car so that you can see how the details measure up and where I have had to take compromises (hint - compromises are absolutely everywhere!)

There are also building instructions. Here are the instructions for the normal car with normal tan interior and no roof box or roof rack: https://brickhub.org/i/562

2rear2.jpg

This is how my own car looked when I moved to Germany:

4_real_car1.jpg

and here it is recreated in LEGO:

2front1.jpg

As always I use Griddy to design the model:

griddy.png

It was first in 2016 that the front began looking acceptable:

99_construct_may_3_2016.jpg

As you can see, the lower part of the grille and some details have remained unchanged. The major upgrades have been in the grille, logo, and especially how the chrome wedges are connected to the hood.

I continued building the car even with the deficiencies of the front:

97_construction_may_5_2016.jpg

Here you can see how I planned the doors, and there are some obvious things that were changed in the final version: I am using a lighter color of hub caps which look more like the stock rims. The wheel guards in the rear are no longer simple arches, and the battery cooling intake on the inside didn't survive in the latest version.

Here is a rear shot of the same model:

98_construction_may_5_2016.jpg

As you can see, very little has changed with the rear bumper: Only the 1x2 curved slopes have replaced the 1x3 ones here, and the rear hatch has been completely remodeled.

Later the same day I made some mock-ups for the doors:

96_construction_may_5_2016.jpg

and again you can see that the doors have very little in common with the final version: There is no sloping of the B-pillar, and the door handles have been moved up.

Between 2016 and 2020 I didn't take proper progress pictures. This was always a project that I had my ups and downs with, since it turned out to be quite a struggle to get even somewhat right.

But here it is - the final version. If you enjoy strange SNOT building techniques, then I think you will have a lot of fun watching the video :)

2rear1.jpg

Up next? Probably the LC. Only time will tell.

Hm, I like the windshield and all the glass. But I know people prefer to have the models without those. But I also know how much trouble they are to implement and what limitations they introduce.

Wow, all the angles...wouldn't it have been much easier if you had just sold this car and bought a much more squared car, and built that? :wink:

Thanks for the replies. They actually mean a lot to me. I am also a hard critic of the windscreen solution and wish LEGO made a single piece that fit the scale as I prefer to not leave the windscreen gap open in scale 1:20 and below to my own detriment!

I have now for 1,5 year had a new car which has even more impossible angles. Hopefully I can present the LEGO version of it before I hit retirement :D 

Wow, nice. Very impressive at this small scale. Even the wheel rims are almost the same :D When looking at all the detailing, you wouldn't say it's "just" 10 wide.

I think what I like the most is the fact that everything opens, but there are no visible gaps when everything is closed. In my experience this is very hard to do well.

It's funny how the real car seems to have a longer nose, but that's probably the photo that distorts the dimensions of the real car, because you actually measured things with a grid.

The glass-filled windows give it a bit of a Legoland (the amusement parks) feel to me. It wouldn't be my prefered choice but it works very well here, and it allows to add the silver rims of the side windows, which really helps the color scheme, and have "full doors",which I always find a big plus.

Oh, and you gotta love the bike :laugh: