Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

The sets look incredible! Some odd minifigure choices for sure, especially with Molly’s hair. I don’t think the piece is bad but it’s just an odd choice to me. The Burrow and Astronomy Tower are definitely the best sets and I love the builds. I’m surprised about the inclusion of the viaduct entrance but it looks great and I like that it and the greenhouse can disconnect and be rearranged with the other sections as we’ve come to expect. I think the Room off Requirement can connect as well due to the pin holes on the ends, but I’m not sure how good it would look. Grawp is a good build and his little ears are so cute! Privet Drive is a bit cramped but still great, and Hedwig’s face is creepy but the overall build is cool. I always expected a July/August release in the US given the last two years, so I was fine with the July 1 date on Shop@Home, but if it’s really changed to August 1 like @RogueTwo said then that’s disappointing. 

2 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

I might have an inkling on why there's so much in the Burrow for not as huge a price as that size set could have. You'll notice every photo is taken at an angle. This hides two things:

The building's interior is one of the sides. The interior also sticks out quite a bit.

And the sloped roof sections (which would be like a square-based pyramid) only have two slopes. This makes it more easily accessible but also means that the exterior will potentially only look good from the angle they've shown on the box.

I'm not sure I've been clear but I think that makes sense!

Only looking good from one angle is relatively forgivable here as most people will probably displayed it by itself (we probably won't be getting more sets from this location) so it can always be turned to that specific angle. I only have an issue with this kind of thing when other sets be to be displayed with it in a certain way which can make half builds look awful (the great hall being a good example of this). 

3 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t actually recall saying he wasn’t, or anything against it at all...not sure what your problem is

No problem here, friend. I just don’t appreciate the homophobic tone of your previous posts. This forum is a safe space for everyone. Now, let’s get back on topic.

Just now, MaxHeadroom said:

Only looking good from one angle is relatively forgivable here as most people will probably displayed it by itself (we probably won't be getting more sets from this location) so it can always be turned to that specific angle. I only have an issue with this kind of thing when other sets be to be displayed with it in a certain way which can make half builds look awful (the great hall being a good example of this). 

I agree with this ? 

59 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

That’s your opinion, and you’re 100% entitled to it. But you also recently shared how much you love Donald Trump and want him included as an exclusive minifig in the upcoming LEGO White House set, so please don’t lecture me on injecting politics into the conversation. I am just saying how Marcos’ visibility as an out gay man and the Design Lead on such an iconic LEGO project makes today’s reveals feel all the more special for me. Marcos deserves so much credit for the sets we all love. I can’t wait to see what he and his team have in store for us with Diagon Alley and the other August set(s)!

No,no, injecting my politics = good. Mentioning your politics = bad. I have to put my fingers in my ears everytime someone has an opinion different to me. :sarcasm:

Just now, sebastian666 said:

No problem here, friend. I just don’t appreciate the homophobic tone of your previous posts. This forum is a safe space for everyone. Now, let’s get back on topic.

I tried to understand what the argument here is and looked at the posts and I‘m pretty sure he did not mean it in any homophobic way. 

Just now, Zepthire said:

No,no, injecting my politics = good. Mentioning your politics = bad. I have to put my fingers in my ears everytime someone has an opinion different to me. :sarcasm:

Haha This!

Just now, MaxHeadroom said:

Yes, that makes sense, I definitely think it's okay with the Burrow. I'm the same with the Great Hall though, that tower looks weird because of its open back. It even looks weird modded to have a back as it's not round.

1 hour ago, sebastian666 said:

I encourage everyone to check out Marcos Bessa’s latest Instagram post about the set reveals. Marcos is the 31-year-old Design Lead for the LEGO Harry Potter series and, as an out and proud member of the LGBTQ community, he is a huge personal inspiration. Marcos mentions all the designers of the sets and explains the logic behind some design choices (like the white door frames). Check it out:

I've never paid much attention to the designers but I'm definitely going to follow him. It's also awesome to know he is part of the LGBT community. 

Just now, sammy_zammy said:

Yes, that makes sense, I definitely think it's okay with the Burrow. I'm the same with the Great Hall though, that tower looks weird because of its open back. It even looks weird modded to have a back as it's not round.

I feel like the front face of the main builds for the Hogwarts sets have so far managed to line up (like the front of the great hall is the same angle as the front of the clock tower). Imo this means they do end up looking good still and having an optimal display angle.

Can we please move away from the whole LGBT discussion? It doesn't matter if you're gay, straight or bi everyone is still human and therefore equal. Stuff like this should be discussed on other forums or PM's and not in this thread. I'm not trying to minimod here but this discussion just doesn't make sense to happen in here. 

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

Can we please move away from the whole LGBT discussion? It doesn't matter if you're gay, straight or bi everyone is still human and therefore equal. Stuff like this should be discussed on other forums or PM's and not in this thread. I'm not trying to minimod here but this discussion just doesn't make sense to happen in here. 

But I think we can all agree that Lego fans are superior...lol kidding of course

34 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

:damn:  LEGO Shop just changed all the USA release dates to August.  I'm so angry at the incompetence and corporate politics of this release.  :damn:

Well, I would like to apologize to AshnFlash. Why are these even releasing in August?! :damn:

Edited by HalfBloodPrince

8 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I've never paid much attention to the designers but I'm definitely going to follow him. It's also awesome to know he is part of the LGBT community. 

Thanks @MaxHeadroom. I’m sure Marcos appreciates your support - and so do I.

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

Well, I would like to apologize to AshnFlash.

He was kind of right that they were releasing in August in the US but the sets themselves are still releasing in June. 

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

Well, I would like to apologize to AshnFlash.

He's still wrong though, it's not a worldwide august release

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

He's still wrong though, it's not a worldwide august release

He was Right about it being a August release, but also wrong as these sets release everywhere else for some reason in June.

Is it something contracted in the sets that they can’t be released in June in the US?

Didn’t Marcos Bessa design the Disney Castle? I swear I can sense a bit of his “signature” in the astronomy tower interior! It actually reminds me of the Disney Castle’s interior.

26 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

To be fair, absolutely everything unrelated to LEGO HP and only LEGO HP, is supposed to not go here lol. Even the COVID discussion.

Anywaaay where were we? Oh yeah, Claire Dearing supplanted Ginny Weasley :laugh: Jk

Edited by Otherworld

Astronomy Tower and Clock Tower do not match.  I doubt Lego wants us to change our disposition, and I am sure that the designers leave nothing to chance.  We had clues about a chamber of secrets and a second Tom Riddle, the missing set could be the conjunction between the two towers

Everyone stick to set discussion please. You actually have something  to talk about now, so let’s talk about the sets. 

Discussion about individuals is utterly out of place. 

Thanks! :thumbup:

Just now, Neminchio said:

Astronomy Tower and Clock Tower do not match.  I doubt Lego wants us to change our disposition, and I am sure that the designers leave nothing to chance.  We had clues about a chamber of secrets and a second Tom Riddle, the missing set could be the conjunction between the two towers

What do you mean they don't match? As in the slight stylistic differences with green cheese slopes on the roof and green cones on the spires?

Sorry, there's no way I'm reading 20 pages, I'll just say a few words and be gone :tongue: Wonderful builds all around, can't really decide which one is the best, honestly. I'm qiuite surprised how actually nice Privet Drive looks. Never thought I'd like to have some average english house on display :head_back: AT is a big step up from last year, it has a nicer shape and the rooms are more detailed. RoR is a neat little set, nice variants of the characters and the patronuses are a must have. The Burrow is fantastic, still would've preferred DH version with the wedding, but what we got looks perfect at this scale. Grawp looks surprisingly good, but we all know people will be buying the set for the centaurs (and Umbridge). Hedwig is a bit weird, but it's a nice sculpture nonetheless

3 minutes ago, Neminchio said:

We had clues about a chamber of secrets and a second Tom Riddle,

no, we had a clue about underground scene,  and a clue about a Tom figure.

it could potentialy point towards tom riddle and chamber of secrets, but it could also be other things.

Don't forget another clue we have doesn't point towards chamber of secrets.         ' wave for film 5 & 6 without ______ I think not'

Just so everyone knows, we are reading and assessing the reports coming from this thread, and thank you to those using the report button rather than carrying on an argument publicly, which derails the thread.

I don't want to lock this discussion because there are new, exciting sets to discuss, and most people have been focussed on discussing them!

So please, to the people not focussed on the actual Harry Potter LEGO in this Harry Potter LEGO discussion thread, please refocus, and please remain polite and kind to one another. You know who you are.

Thanks everyone.

10 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

What do you mean they don't match? As in the slight stylistic differences with green cheese slopes on the roof and green cones on the spires?

No, I am not referring to style, but to architecture: I believe that the tower, as a tower, should stand out between two lower walls, and the clock tower is practically at the same height.  I try to visualize it but it doesn't convince me at all.  In addition, the presence of an additional piece could justify the absence of a complete construction drawing on the box ... sorry for my english, I use the google translator

3 minutes ago, Neminchio said:

No, I am not referring to style, but to architecture: I believe that the tower, as a tower, should stand out between two lower walls, and the clock tower is practically at the same height.  I try to visualize it but it doesn't convince me at all.  In addition, the presence of an additional piece could justify the absence of a complete construction drawing on the box ... sorry for my english, I use the google translator

I think I get you. It's around 4cm taller than the Clock Tower. I don't think they could've made it any taller without it being too tall to be honest. Lego clearly isn't worried about scale or correct locations!

With the walls, I feel like you could solve that problem just by using some of the other set modular pieces? Due to the modular design.

Edited by sammy_zammy