Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Crookshanks said:

Astronomy Tower - I LOVE IT, it's the best castle section lego have did. It's waaay more better then what I expect. But it's feels that lego compromised with the figures, Neville is my favourite. I like that Lavender get a bow. All the details, in the top of the tower, Slughorns book. I've hoped that the greenhouse would be bigger.. I like that we get an sidebuilding with it!

The burrow - I really like it. It's an amazing set. Mollys hair disapointed me and hoped that Tonks should have her more iconic pink hair. Arthur and Ginny is really well made. I like the pig to.

Privat drive - Really nice set. I'm suprised over that the house was that detaild. Petunia and Dudley is nice. I had hoped that they did Vernon better than that. Another almost same looking car in two sets is really anoying. Probably I will wait for a good sale to get one.

Room of requriement, a really sweet set. I really like it and the statue was a nice suprise. This probably will mean I will buy another set of expecto patronum to get Harrys patronum to for this scen.

Forbidden forest - I like the tree and that you can open it. The centatures is the best with this set. I like this version of Umbridge more then the bricktobers. Graup.. He's look awful. I don't like the childish look he have.

Hedwig - The idea was good, but they failed :( Probably I will buy this set to get a complete collection. Not worth the full price. With some more tiles she probably look better. But her eyes look little creepy.

I'm so courios of the other sets i autumn now!

I agree with you on everything, except,

I quite like the Grawp, but I could see why you would want him to look different. I think they had two routes they could go here and they are vastly different so naturally some people will be pleased some will be disappointed.

and the Hedwig - while it doesn't appeal to me, I don't think they failed at all! What they've done with the clockwork is really clever, and the design is something very unique to Lego but very realistic-looking. I feel like you need to look at pics from multiple angles to picture in your head how it looks better though, as some angles make it look a bit weird. How do you think they failed?

22 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I thought it was July in the US...

Sorry, press release said August but seems from the conversation and Lego S@H it is indeed July.

Hey together!

I just want to share my thoughts on these new sets!

I‘m absolutely amazed by the builds - especially the AT and the burrow! I knew that I would not like Grawp, but they did better than I expected.

What I don’t like so much about this wave are the Minifigures. I feel like the wrong figures are overly detailed, while others lack of detailing.

Wich figures are really detailed:

umbridge - great figure, but there already is a great umbridge figure

Hermione and Luna in their Dresses - we have so many variants of them and with the clock tower it was something new with the Yule ball theme and the Yule ball is an iconic scene while the slug Party just feels like they didn’t knew what to do New, so they repeated this „party theme“.

Dobby - quite the same like the CMF one

on the other hand, we have got important figures, that not existed in this wave before like Tonks, Bellatrix,  Molly, Ginny, etc. That are not very detailed or disappointing because the last version was better (Bellatrix). And I mean Molly looks just really really bad.

In my Opinion (and I know a lot of you think otherwise) I would have preferred if they used the budget for more detailed figures and a bit less for centaurs and patroni (?) - but that’s just my opinion :)

all in all really great sets with a bit too much variants of existing characters and a bit less new Charakters or variants of Charakters that did not appeared that much in the last waves.

P.s. I don’t know Why But I really like that Hedwig! :D

Well kingnono says 14 setnumbers are referenced as harry Potter !

Well we only got 6 !

upcoming :

D2C +

75978 +

GWP +

CMF +

POLYBAG ....

and apparently books do not count! 

Well i probably forgot something... *huh*

but in highest expectations there are 3 more references coming:moar:

Edited by Jeankeb

24 minutes ago, Black Numenorean said:

The burrow is in the spirit of the wave of 2018. The rest is less. Private drive is too square. The room of requirement looks like nothing: a poor wall (but for 19,99, ok).

Personaly, i am not fan of the building of Hogwarts too. For hedwige, i have the picture of un great MOc in my mind, so for this, the standard of my vision find the lego set bad.

It is just my appreciation. If you like it, it is not a problem for me.

It's your opinion ofcourse but let me just point a few things out:

- Privet Drive is square because the building in the movies is square, not being square would make it inaccurate

- The RoR is as big as it can be, if you expected more at this pricepoint you probably set your expectations too high 

- Comparing a set to a MOC isn't fair, the official sets have much more constraints and limitations than a MOC (stable, strong, budget etc.)

It's completely fine if you are disappointed with this wave but if this is what you were expecting before seeing the sets you were probably expecting a little too much :wink:

19 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

It's shaping up to be a great year for this theme and we still haven't even seen everything we're getting this year. There's still Diagon Alley, the minifigure series, the mystery set (UCS Dobby's Sock), 

I completely agree with everything you said. I really don't understand how these can be considered worse than 2018.

But what is this UCS Dobby's Sock and where did it come from lol

32 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

I just realised, we were all bashing AshnFlash yesterday, and turns out we were both right - August in the US and June elsewhere

Just want to clarify here. AshnFlash was still wrong. The LEGO Harry Potter sets are not postponed until August in the US. They will be available on July 1, per LEGO’s website.

Edited by sebastian666
Apologies @sammy_zammy - just saw your clarification!

I’m so late into this forum ?It will take so long to read everyone’s commentary so I’ll just say my main thoughts: 

Things I’m happy to see:

-grawp is better looking than I expected, they made a good choice using those hands and the hair is done well. I love all the green colours of the box art.
-the bike handles with bell is a lovely detail

- the room of requirement is much better than I anticipated, the wall build actually has lots of nice features and clearly connects to the rest of the castle. this is perhaps the most well-rounded set IMHP. 
-The robot death eater is perfect and a great addition.

The burrow build looks excellent, I am surprised they open it at the side rather the back but it works.
-The extra hinged section to open the living room is a good idea, but makes me wonder why they have not used the same method for the benefit of the castle builds. 

- the furniture, fireplace and other details of the burrow build are better than the original, they even engineered the top floor slanting!

-the astronomy tower is very ambitious and each room has lots of great details 

-I like execution of the arches over the balcony, looks just like the real architecture 

-I love the complex telescope build and the astronomy planet model 

-I also love the table and other decorations for the party, the food and chocolate fountain look great!

-4 mandrake pots!? Are they printed?

-the Dursley family all look excellent; new prints!

-Dursley house is a grand update of the original

Things I dislike:

-Molly‘a hair is just wrong, also her face doesn’t look like her.

-Lavender is missing her skirt, should have been in the CMF to do justice

-the Astronomy tower build tries to do too much and undermines itself by stretching itself thin. The west wing is too small and should have been saved for another set. 

-the green house room is weird as it uses the same colours as the castle masonry: in the movies they are made from steel (?)

-those white frames in the astronomy tower are very distracting, why not use a more appropriate colour to blend them in. Even black would have been ok. 

-general weirdness of the floor plan and proportions of the astronomy tower set 

Just now, Jeankeb said:

Well we only got 6 !

upcoming :

D2C +

75978 +

GWP +

CMF +

POLYBAG ....

and apparently books do not count! 

Oh no rip money

28 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

I really couldn't disagree more. Most of your complaints seem to be about the interiors. All the interiors aren't great in Hogwarts sets. The Mirror of Erised room is literally a 1x4 plate for goodness sake! The Great Hall is obviously a good interior - but that's like the main part of the set. And your complaint about them theming it around Slughorn's dinner party - surely most people aren't buying the Clock Tower for the Yule Ball, no, they're buying it for the impressive awesome clock tower! Same here - people will buy this for an amazing Astronomy Tower. They had to choose a theme because they like to choose some theme, and they went with this.

I understand your argument they should've themed it around Dumbledore's death, arguably the most iconic thing that happened in the Astronomy Tower - yes this would be awesome (regardless of Lego not liking death scenes), but I don't understand what you're proprosing this scene would contain, apart from different minifigures? And different minifigures you could easily set up yourself using existing characters! Meanwhile Slughorn's dinner party has food, a table, decorations... All your suggestions are (mostly existing) minifigures and accessories, apart from the vanishing cabinet.

TGH Tower was definitely underwhelming--but I was OK with that because the great hall was very good and very updated compared to what we'd gotten before. I feel like the last two hogwarts flagship sets were weird mashups of different locations. If Lego wants to make a set about the Yule Ball, I'd rather have one really well-done, complete rendition of the Yule Ball instead of a small Yule Ball and an incomplete Dumbledore's office. The Astronomy Tower is marketed as the Astronomy Tower. Great--I would love to see a Lego rendition of that. Completed, with a vanishing cabinet and death eaters. But this model feels like a weird collection of odds and ends: Ravenclaw Common Room, the Greenhouse, Slughorn's office. And to be clear, I really like the inclusion of all those (or at least the first two), but not if the focal point of the set itself is lacking. Also, even just modest improvements to Slughorn's office would be a huge step up, especially since that's where the setting for the scene the minifigures included is based around.

IDK I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd prefer them to do one highly detailed part of the castle instead of a montage of incomplete sections. I get that criticizing the set for being focused on Slughorn's party sounds like a criticism of only the minifigures, but I think the minifigures inform what story the set tells. Both this and the Clock Tower feel like they're trying to build a quarter of four different stories each rather than one cohesive part of the Harry Potter story.

As for the architecture itself, I didn't think the Clock Tower was anything special but that's just my opinion. The Astronomy Tower is really big and interesting to build and display, at least from the outside.
 I just don't know that it's iconic enough to pull the weight of a lackluster interior/minifig selection.

1 hour ago, UKFan922 said:

This wave seems to add so many details that just make it seem so charming. I love getting the variants of some of my favourite characters, knowing we'll be getting characters like Myrtle and Sprout in the CMF (and that they'll be far better there, given the extra budget). For me, Snape is so similar between his different iterations that one is enough. And we've already got sooo many Dumbledores.

It's definitely true that we've gotten our fill of Dumbledores. I think including his office and the CMF1 in this set would make the most sense, then maybe take him out of CT and replace with Pomfrey. Obviously that's a lot of moving stuff around and most of it we get anyway, but I'm just saying I don't get the logic of where he's included and where he isn't.

Just now, sebastian666 said:

Just want to clarify here. AshnFlash was still wrong. The LEGO Harry Potter sets are not postponed until August in the US. They will be available on July 1, per LEGO’s website.

Although press release was also wrong which is weird

Just now, Jeankeb said:

Well we only got 6 :

upcoming :

D2C +

75978 +

GWP +

CMF +

POLYBAG ....

and apparently books does not count! 

Privet Drive, Burrow, AT, FF, RoR, Hedwig, Diagon Alley, unknown set, CMF, advent calendar, that’s 10. Plus the polybag, GWP and two (?) brickheadz, that’s a total of 14.

It looks like all 3 areas in the AT set can separate. Also I'm guessing these pin holes leading from the hallway is where the ROR is meant to attach.

5684A5EB-26A7-4AD7-8C4D-EB288C7198DC.jpeg

I might have an inkling on why there's so much in the Burrow for not as huge a price as that size set could have. You'll notice every photo is taken at an angle. This hides two things:

The building's interior is one of the sides. The interior also sticks out quite a bit.

And the sloped roof sections (which would be like a square-based pyramid) only have two slopes. This makes it more easily accessible but also means that the exterior will potentially only look good from the angle they've shown on the box.

I'm not sure I've been clear but I think that makes sense!

1 hour ago, 8fifty said:

Is there already a hairpiece which is available in pink/purple and that would fit her?

Why do people want to change her hair? wearing that outfit her hair was always brown.

just stay patient uintill august  *fingers crossed*

1 minute ago, Otherworld said:

Privet Drive, Burrow, AT, FF, RoR, Hedwig, Diagon Alley, unknown set, CMF, advent calendar, that’s 10. Plus the polybag, GWP and two (?) brickheadz, that’s a total of 14.

You're right thanks!  Wallet Will survive ! 

1 hour ago, GalacticHippo said:

I've lost the list of all the known and rumoured CMF, but I feel like now I'm definitely hoping Tonks is in the CMF since they skipped out on pink or purple hair in the Burrow.

In addition to the 9 minifigures leaked on the package image, kingnono has stated that all four houses receive at least two minifigures in the CMF. He later clarified that those numbers were based off facts and fan theories. We already know there are two each of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw from the leaked package, so that leaves Hufflepuff and Slytherin. And there aren’t many Hufflepuffs left to do besides OotP Tonks. I suspect the fan theories reference is to Rita Skeeter, who kingnono has specifically hinted at in other posts, and doesn’t have an official house even though most fans consider her a Slytherin, and I can’t think of any unassigned characters that are consistently sorted into Hufflepuff by the fandom. 

Just now, deskp said:

Why do people want to change her hair? wearing that outfit her hair was always brown.

Because I think many people find the hair much more recognisable than the outfit!

I am thinking about modifying the room with the big round window at the top of the AT set. It uses the white door frame and on top a 2x2 inverted tan slope as support for the top of the roof. But as far as I can see, you could also use a tan 2x3 inverted slope as part of the wall itself instead. So you wouldn't realy need the white door frame right?

Just now, hoiharry said:

I am thinking about modifying the room with the big round window at the top of the AT set. It uses the white door frame and on top a 2x2 inverted tan slope as support for the top of the roof. But as far as I can see, you could also use a tan 2x3 inverted slope as part of the wall itself instead. So you wouldn't realy need the white door frame right?

i will do that aswell, i understand lego couldn't do that cause the entire wall wouldn't be stable enough for play.

Is anyone else getting a weird glitch in the Harry Potter theme on the Lego website, where it says "displaying 1-17 of 18" but doesn't have a page 2? The last item is always chopped off.

8 minutes ago, deskp said:

Firstly:

6 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Because I think many people find the hair much more recognisable than the outfit!

Secondly: It is just my personal taste, I like her better with the dyed hair. And as I don't think that much of screen accuracy I would be absolutely happy with a second hairpiece I can exchange when I am up for some variety :classic: Nevertheless, the hairpiece Lego used for her is great!

3 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Is anyone else getting a weird glitch in the Harry Potter theme on the Lego website, where it says "displaying 1-17 of 18" but doesn't have a page 2? The last item is always chopped off.

Actually not. The German shop shows "Displaying 1-18 of 19" and there is indeed a second page that shows the book "The Magical Guide to the Wizarding World".

Edited by 8fifty

4 minutes ago, deskp said:

i will do that aswell, i understand lego couldn't do that cause the entire wall wouldn't be stable enough for play.

Yeah that's what I tought as well. But I think most of us will probably just be displaying it and be careful enough with our Lego not to break it. :grin:

Edited by hoiharry

14 minutes ago, deskp said:

I don't get it either as this look is accurate to the scene but people are free to do with their figures whatever they want :shrug_oh_well:

Has anyone paid attention to those new champagne glasses? Sorry if you have already talked about it, too many messages

Just now, AdriWho said:

Has anyone paid attention to those new champagne glasses? Sorry if you have already talked about it, too many messages

Those are not new, if you mean the type Neville is carrying.