Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

This set + rumored GWP is going to be worth so much in 10 years. Feel I should buy 2 :laugh_hard:

2 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

Just had a thought how cool a D2C Quiditch staduim would be. 20 figures with each houses team and a full oval with some stands.

And Ravenclaw players would be lilac :wink:

Edited by Modal

46 minutes ago, Albus said:

What happened with 2018 Quirrell?

I'm curious too, anyone here knows?

48 minutes ago, Albus said:

Good catch.

What happened with 2018 Quirrell?

In the movies he wears a brown suit, but it became black on the figure, apparentely with JK Rowling's input. Some scenes it looks kinda black because of the lighting, but overall it should be brown. We discussed it here back in 2018 and even a designer responded about the choice. This is kinda similar.

1 hour ago, mark1991t said:

Here are all the characters currently missing from the 2018-present line, compared to the previous lines: (4)
Offscreen-role: Peeves (1)
Onscreen-roles: Narcissa Malfoy, Goyle, Prof Karkaroff, random Merman, random goblin, Troll, Prof Lupin (werewolf version), Sirius Black (Dog version), Viktor Krum (Shark version) (3)

Oh yeah forgot about Karkaroff and Goyle (and I guess Crabbe too) and I left out the nameless characters and variants/creatures. Either way I hope we'll get them eventually.

1 hour ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Look closely, there is clearly a wand inside something... that tile is just a cover. 

I thought it was just a very good print xD. But I hope you are right.

46 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I was looking up Lockhart's F&B attire earlier because I watched the movie recently and I was sure he wore blue in that scene. Someone on Instagram also posted a promotional shot where his suit and robes were, sure enough, blue. But a quick internet search showed him mainly in what I consider blue ... and then there's that one image you've posted and I instantly knew where Lego had got their colouring from. But the thing is, that picture just looks like an oversaturated shot to me where the red tones are clearly accentuated and when all other images from both watching the movie and promotional shots show blue, I have to question why Lego chose to go with the lilac. They must have seen the images and movie we have. ? 

Maybe they've watched it on a screen with weird settings xD. Or they've seen the actual costume and the one in the movie just has very weird lighting :O. No but I have no clue what happened there xD.

34 minutes ago, Taure said:

I agree that this artwork is a good depiction of Diagon Alley, but I don't think this image much resembles the movie version or the Lego set as revealed. For me, Diagon Alley should look like you've started with a normal Victorian street and then twisted it and turned it a bit bonkers. Whereas the Lego set feels like a series of completely distinct buildings without any real thematic unity or common aesthetic.

The beauty of books is that we all create our own mental image, and nobody can tell anyone else that their vision is right or wrong.

However, the set is based on the movies (specifically the first one) and not the books, or an artist impression, or the studio tour, or the theme park.

If you watch the scene from the first film the set is undeniably accurate and faithful to that movie apart from WWW. The shops are all in the same order and look the same. 

As the wall open up you can see Flourish and Blotts with the same sign, double fronted facade, and even the boxes of books outside. The ice cream parlour is the same colour, with the door and window in the same place, the awning, and the table and chairs on the roof. Then comes the door for the DP office, which is integrated with the pink facade of QQS. Then Scribbilus (which Hagrid points out to Harry) and then Ollivanders.

As far as I can see there are only two departures from the film set. WWW shouldn’t be there, and the buildings should possibly have a 2nd floor. 

I accept the set doesn’t fit with your own imagining of the alley but I think we can all agree it is incredibly accurate to the first film? I say this because I think the set designers deserve credit for that achievement, whether it fits with our own image of DA or not.

Also, and I don’t know how well everyone on here knows London, when I saw the straight on view of the set (back of the box) I instantly thought how well it could be adapted to be a generic London street scene. I might have to leave out WWW and I would repurpose QQS as an old London Pub (The Red Lion I think) and Ollivanders as a posh perfume store or similar. The others are fine as bookshop, ice cream parlour and stationary store. Point is I think it’s pretty cohesive architecturally.

I genuinely hope it grows on you, would be a shame if you can’t find a way to love the set. 

For those living in Canada, I asked about when the new Harry Potter sets were supposed to arrive at the Lego Store and the employee told me that the release is supposed to be on Monday, so keep a lookout ?

The CMF is up on the US shop@home, but just the individual bags, no listing for a full box. Does anyone remember if the DC series had the full box listing from the start or if it came later?

12 minutes ago, Beasty_Boy0800 said:

For those living in Canada, I asked about when the new Harry Potter sets were supposed to arrive at the Lego Store and the employee told me that the release is supposed to be on Monday, so keep a lookout ?

Wonderful, thank you!!

2 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

The CMF is up on the US shop@home, but just the individual bags, no listing for a full box. Does anyone remember if the DC series had the full box listing from the start or if it came later?

Up on GB shop@home too, confirms 1st September release and costs £3.49 ☺️

Welp. LEGO has been defeated by their own hubris once again. I don't want to formulate my full opinions until they see fit to release the full high-res images (which, considering the CMF, I don't expect until at least 3 business months after the set releases), but I'll give my two cents anyway. (tldr: set good, minifigures bad, pink cube should be smaller)

Going from left to right, I really love the new Ollivander's. The color is less vibrant than the 2011 version, but the build here is much improved, and far more film-accurate. The interior looks quaint but nice enough, and I'm very interested to see exactly what the new wand box is, whether it's a new piece or just a clever print.

Scribbulus is simple but accurate, and it's a nice inclusion. Nothing more to say there.

As with most of you, Quality Quidditch Supplies is my least favorite build in the set, but my issue isn't actually with the color- at least, not exclusively. My issue is just with how large the upper section is. It takes up the full 32-stud width with just a cube of basic bricks, and, while the pink color helps in drawing attention to it, I feel as though it won't look great no matter what color it is, and I think the model would look much better if that area were minimized, both in height and width. I do think the lower floor looks fantastic, though, and the interior is nice. 

The Daily Prophet office is just really funny to me. I understand how those who were excited for this area could be disappointed, but I like the exterior entrance, and the interior makes me chortle. I do wish that this had been swapped with the ice cream parlor so that QQS would've been smaller and F&B would've been larger, but oh well. 

Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor is pretty perfect imo. The exterior is very cute and inviting, and the interior lower floor continues that feeling. I also love how we get a nice living area above the shop (same goes for Scribbulus). Also, am I the only one who went a decade not knowing that the DA building in LEGO Years 1-4 with the chairs you can levitate to rescue the student was the Ice Cream Parlor? I was absolutely shook by this realization. 

Flourish and Blotts may well be my favorite shop in this set. I'm a sucker for bookshops, and this fills that niche FAR better than this year's modular. The exterior is very nice looking (Gotta love that sand green), and the interior is accurate as well. Lots of books, it all just looks perfect. Again, my only potential complaint is that I wish they'd grouped it with the DP rather than FF's so that this shop would have more room to thrive.

Last but not least is Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, the largest single shop in the set that isn't a pink cube. And, while F&B is my personal favorite, this is probably the objective best shop in this set. The exterior is fantastically accurate, colorful, and playful, and the interior, while not fully clear, definitely gives off the right vibes. It's super colorful, crazy, and it undoubtedly has the most wares of any shop in this Diagon Alley. I do hope we get a couple Pygmy Puffs, but I'll live if they aren't included.

Now, onto my sole justification for my not planning on purchasing this day one: the minifigures. Hoo boy, are they not very good at all. Now, having 14 minifigures in a $400 set certainly isn't great, but it's not a problem by itself. Having 14 figures that for the most part range from bad to mediocre is a problem.

From left to right, we at least start out well with an accurate (if preexisting) Hagrid, and distinct costumes for the twins, who I imagine will share a single double-sided head, like their 2011 versions and the Patil twins. Things then go steeply downhill with the awful Molly figure from the Burrow, just with a less interesting torso to go with the awful face reuse and terrible hairpiece. (Seriously, you'd think that if Molly was set to appear in two high-end sets this year, you'd think they'd but in at least a modicum of effort, but I guess not.) Ginny isn't too interesting, and I hope she gets a new face print, but currently it seems as though it's just the same print we had for Susan Bones in 2018, which fits 11yo Ginny about as well as her face in the Burrow fits 16yo Ginny. In other words, not well. 

The Golden Trio all look quite bland in their identical black robes. I like Harry's new face, but it looked better on the leaked PS Harry (which I imagine will come in a GWP, likely of the brick wall). Wish they were all in casual outfits, as it would add much visual interest. Draco is similarly uninteresting, but he was wearing black clothing under his robes anyway, so not much is lost. Lucius has the expected hairpiece, which I think is far too bright (as expected). Hi Rs torso is fine, albeit very similar to the 2010 version, but I'm getting really tired of the Hux/Snape/Fury/Fudge legs. Also, I really hope he isn't actually using the Bruce Wayne head. That's how it looks, but it isn't even close! The eyebrows are thick and black, the face structure is completely different, it's just single-sided... There's no way LEGO could be that cheap, right? RIGHT?!?!?

Lockhart looks fantastic in my opinion. His hair would've looked better in blonde, but I think the piece itself is fine, and the torso looks great! The color may not be accurate, but I think the lilac looks far better than sand blue would have. Ollivander is good as ever, and Florean, as has been known for about a month, looks fantastic! The photographer also looks good, but I'll throw a fit if we find out in the official pics that he got a new face print while Lucius and Molly went without. Oh, and the Quidditch uniforms are nice, hope they pop up in an accessory pack so they'll be easier to acquire in bulk. 

Overall, is the set good? Absolutely. Is it great? Certainly. Is it a day-one purchase? For me, definitely not, though I will get it eventually. The build is super-detailed and nearly perfect (aside from the absolute girth of the pink cube), and, while the price/part ratio is fantastic, $400 for everything included in the build feels just about right. The minifigures do suck, though, but that's been consistently the case for a lot of sets this year, so I'll live.

5 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Don't know why this hasn't been mentioned yet but LEGO should've brought back sand red for this set. Sand red would work perfectly for the pink section and it would make the Gilderoy figure more accurate (even if that costume is still inaccurate to the scene). 

Bringing back sand red has been mentioned a few times now. :P

I was really hoping for a new mold for the broomstick. I thought they'd make the extra effort because of QQS building and the iconic nimbus 2000 in the window. The reason this upsets me is because of how amazing the nimbus mold is in the lego harry potter game. 

Interested to hear what people think a Gringotts add on would look like for this set going by the linear layout of the street. Each build is on a 16x32 plate so I presume Gringotts would have to fit in that area. It couldn't be built side on as it would face the wall of Olivanders, maybe have it on an angle so you get street down the side of Olivanders and street continuing along the front. So side of bank faces forward and door and pillars are on angle and then there is no other side as that's open like the rest of the street.

They may also just build it as a stand alone set that doesn't connect? 

50246370651_8c2ae6903c_b.jpg

11 minutes ago, Micmac said:

Interested to hear what people think a Gringotts add on would look like for this set going by the linear layout of the street. Each build is on a 16x32 plate so I presume Gringotts would have to fit in that area. It couldn't be built side on as it would face the wall of Olivanders, maybe have it on an angle so you get street down the side of Olivanders and street continuing along the front. So side of bank faces forward and door and pillars are on angle and then there is no other side as that's open like the rest of the street.

They may also just build it as a stand alone set that doesn't connect? 

50246370651_8c2ae6903c_b.jpg

As long as we get a Gringotts along the same scale as this DA, I'm getting it.

I'd imagine TLG would go the same road as WWW, even if Gringotts isn't a 90° corner. Though I'd prefer if it were a tighter angle, like in the movie.

4 hours ago, clouette said:

https://carousell.app.link/MXDn1nyQ58

Sorry if this is posted, I found a box art of 75978 online

Your comment will definitely get removed because leaks aren't allowed here, but that is just a photoshopped version of the leaks we got today. You can easily tell based on the way the light hits it at the top of the box - the leak has a light reflection in the exact same spot.

Edited by Clone OPatra
No leaked pictures here - and don't quote them from other people either!

4 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

In the movies he wears a brown suit, but it became black on the figure, apparentely with JK Rowling's input. Some scenes it looks kinda black because of the lighting, but overall it should be brown. We discussed it here back in 2018 and even a designer responded about the choice. This is kinda similar.

I see, thanks. A bit like Han Solo's parka on Hoth then, too.

I think I prefer Black anyway. It's not an attractive brown and I don't think it would translate well with Lego's palette.

where are people seeing pictures of the full back? I know a lot of the pics have been deleted, and all I can find is the back with the top cut off.

Not sure I understand the point of having holes in the back as some of the stairs extend past them.

Also, Is the love potion actually attached?

Edited by Surge

24 minutes ago, Surge said:

where are people seeing pictures of the full back? I know a lot of the pics have been deleted, and all I can find is the back with the top cut off.

Not sure I understand the point of having holes in the back as some of the stairs extend past them.

Also, Is the love potion actually attached?

I have them saved from wink.leakz. It’s cut between two pictures.

And...it’s official. August 24th S@H release date for the sets for us poor schmucks in the States. 

Edited by Vindicare

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

And...it’s official. August 24th S@H release date for the sets for us poor schmucks in the States. 

I was just looking and the Burrow & Hedwig don't have dates on them yet but the rest do.  Minifigs says September 1.  Still no Advent Calendar but the City & Friends ones are now up.

2 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Oooo... what to do, what to do? Get the sets as soon as they’re available or wait a week so I can pick up the advent calendar (and maybe some CMFs) at the same time? :)

12 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

Oooo... what to do, what to do? Get the sets as soon as they’re available or wait a week so I can pick up the advent calendar (and maybe some CMFs) at the same time? :)

I just saw a post on another website that the Polybag & Brickheadz are going to be GWP's from Sept 1-15 with HP purchases.  I hope it's true and there are still sets left to purchase by September 1 or at least able to be backordered.  They should have just waited to release the sets until then.  I've waited this long so another week doesn't matter at this point.

59 minutes ago, karrit said:

I was just looking and the Burrow & Hedwig don't have dates on them yet but the rest do.  Minifigs says September 1.  Still no Advent Calendar but the City & Friends ones are now up.

Oops...:blush: I just have AT, Privet Dr. & The Burrow on my wish list. Only saw AT & Privet said the 24th so didn’t bother scrolling down to check the Burrow. D’oh.

37 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

Well, as it seems the Burrow isn’t a 24th release, so you could get AT & PD then Order the rest on the 1st(and possibly get a GWP to boot). Looks like that’s what I’ll be doing. 

Edited by Vindicare

So how confident are we on the Brick Wall GWP? Was the micro scale DA a GWP for the entire month of September 2018?