Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

The Anakin hairpiece in grey might work? The current Doc Brown piece is still good though.

Untitled33-1.png

I think it works a bit better than the doc brown, Eliminates the floating sideburns and gives him a bit more cooky look

Edited by deskp

1 minute ago, deskp said:

Untitled33-1.png

I think it works a bit better than the doc brown, Eliminates the floating sideburns and gives him a bit more cooky look

It actually works a lot better for Nearly Headless Nick too

25 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

That might work, too bad though we never got Old Man Bilbo :hmpf_bad:

So many things about the fate of the LOTR theme are tragic

4 minutes ago, deskp said:

*pic*

I actually really look that look, I always thought he looked quite eccentric in the film and it makes him stand out a bit more. Lego will probably want to keep it consistent with their previous minifigure (tho this year Dumbledore will have had 3 different hairpieces) but I might try and get this hairpiece in build-a-minifigure at some point. 

I love hearing everyone’s thoughts on the rumoured DA D2C set!! I’ve nearly finished a Florean Fortescues MOC (so really hoping that isnt included!) but it’s one of the more obscure DA shops. I really like the idea of side builds for some of the lesser-known shops (like an ice cream cart for FF, wizard hats for MM, owls for EOE, cauldrons for Pottages etc.). I was planning to do more DA MOCs but putting that on pause until the D2C is confirmed/revealed ?

In terms of improving the 2011 DA set (which I still have), I’d like to see more of the stickers as prints - especially for Gringotts and Ollivanders at least. This, for me, would be a real improvement.

34 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

I love hearing everyone’s thoughts on the rumoured DA D2C set!! I’ve nearly finished a Florean Fortescues MOC (so really hoping that isnt included!) but it’s one of the more obscure DA shops. I really like the idea of side builds for some of the lesser-known shops (like an ice cream cart for FF, wizard hats for MM, owls for EOE, cauldrons for Pottages etc.). I was planning to do more DA MOCs but putting that on pause until the D2C is confirmed/revealed ?

In terms of improving the 2011 DA set (which I still have), I’d like to see more of the stickers as prints - especially for Gringotts and Ollivanders at least. This, for me, would be a real improvement.

Please show us!

15 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Please show us!

Still a WIP but here you go! (Can see a few gaps where pieces aren’t missing - waiting for some more slopes for the roof!)

4D074CCD-F310-42A2-89E3-5FEB79A71EE3.jpeg

91B28073-4467-4F7A-B53D-2FEBDD81F519.jpeg

Just now, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Still a WIP but here you go! (Can see a few gaps where pieces aren’t missing - waiting for some more slopes for the roof!)

Wow I love it, really cool! The colour scheme is great as well. Once DA comes out I've considered making some MOCs too if I have the time but I'll have to get some pieces lol

20 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

I really like it! If the D2C was a whole bunch of buildings with that style of interior and then slightly bigger interiors for the major shops, I'd be really happy.

So far I've managed to get everything from the line except the brick heads, microscale stuff, FB blind bags, and the book that came with a sorting hat set. Mainly down to budget that I've avoided those. I've got the money for the June sets but I'm not sure how I'll be getting them with the virus closing the usual shop I go to for LEGO. 

I'm hoping the Diagon Alley set will include Gringotts bank larger than the 2011 version. WWW, Ollivanders, and the Leaky Cauldron (with a side build for the brick section) around the size of the 2011 buildings (with WWW maybe being a bit bigger). 1-3 small stores like the ones in the book they released last year (see picture), and a small archway section  that would be the same size as one of the small buildings (this would lead to a potential Borgin and Burke's set if that ever got released.
Maybe throw in the dragon to sit on top of Gringotts. I know people have said that the dragon would need to fit 3 figures and therefore be bigger than the dragon from the first challenge but I'm not sure it would have to be. LEGO has never been great about scale and the number of figures that should fit on/in something (the flying car only fits half of the figures it should). 

B8E42911-97DE-4DD0-BC17-9398A20D6B0C.jpeg

39 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Wow I love it, really cool! The colour scheme is great as well. Once DA comes out I've considered making some MOCs too if I have the time but I'll have to get some pieces lol

I find it’s best to build digitally on Bricklink Studio and from there you can an order the specific pieces you need :) 

15 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

I really like it! If the D2C was a whole bunch of buildings with that style of interior and then slightly bigger interiors for the major shops, I'd be really happy.

Thank you! I tried to keep it to a similar build to ollivanders - smaller base with the floor above overhanging to creat that sense of DA from the films

Just now, Scarlet_Patronus said:

I find it’s best to build digitally on Bricklink Studio and from there you can an order the specific pieces you need :) 

Yeah that's what I do. I'm not super familiar with all the parts available though, so often struggle to get anywhere with projects or end up overcomplicating stuff! I guess practice makes perfect.

9 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Thank you! I tried to keep it to a similar build to ollivanders - smaller base with the floor above overhanging to creat that sense of DA from the films

LDD really needs another update. Desperately. It’s lacking so much right now

I'm sorry, what is this book? Qhere can it be bought?

33 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I'm hoping the Diagon Alley set will include Gringotts bank larger than the 2011 version. WWW, Ollivanders, and the Leaky Cauldron (with a side build for the brick section) around the size of the 2011 buildings (with WWW maybe being a bit bigger). 1-3 small stores like the ones in the book they released last year (see picture), and a small archway section  that would be the same size as one of the small buildings (this would lead to a potential Borgin and Burke's set if that ever got released.
Maybe throw in the dragon to sit on top of Gringotts. I know people have said that the dragon would need to fit 3 figures and therefore be bigger than the dragon from the first challenge but I'm not sure it would have to be. LEGO has never been great about scale and the number of figures that should fit on/in something (the flying car only fits half of the figures it should). 

B8E42911-97DE-4DD0-BC17-9398A20D6B0C.jpeg

3 hours ago, deskp said:

Untitled33-1.png

I think that looks fantastic. Really does look like John Hurts appearance.

2 hours ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

I doubt we'll see Florean Fortescues Ice Cream Parlor, Eylops Owl Emporium, the Apothecary or Madam Malins but only because they weren't featured in the films. Despite my best hopes, Lego doesn't really like making non film scene sets.

There is the chance for Quality Quidditch supplies, as I think I'm right in saying it was in the Diagon Alley micro scale set.

Flourish and Blotts could be done, though judging by the modular library sets I'm not sure how many actual book pieces we'd get, probably just a load of unprinted tiles.

I'm unsure whether Lego would make the Leaky Cauldron, as it is does have the pub element to it. But it would be nice to see the brick wall that leads into Diagon Alley.

I can't remember if Borgin and Burkes is confirmed, but it would be great to see it again. Especially if they include the vanishing cabinet like they have previously.

For Weasley Wizarding Wheezes, I hope it has plenty of prints or stickers and little references. (love potions, edible dark marks, Peruvian instant darkness powder etc)

For Olivanders, I hope there's a way to store extra wands, as I have quite a number of the CMF series figures I've ended up with plenty of spare wands.

Gringotts is the most obvious inclusion, I would like the Ukrainian Iron Belly to be able to fit on top of the roof. Or at least be able to remove the heard and place it in an empty panel on the roof, to give it the effect of breaking out.

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

LDD really needs another update. Desperately. It’s lacking so much right now

I used to use LDD until I discovered Studio. Now I'm not sure of what benefit LDD provides compared to it apart from if you prefer the UI. From what I remember, Studio seems to have more parts, be less finnicky when placing stuff, more customisation options with e.g. instructions, and the ability to upload your parts list to Bricklink. What benefit does LDD have?

1 hour ago, LordVoldemort said:

Does anyone think we’ll get a Ginny Mini figure in the D2C Diagon Alley?
she would be either chamber of secrets Ginny in book shop, or Ginny in Weasley joke shop with Pygmy puff. 
I expect the joke shop to have moving top hat.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ginny out of the D2C, simply because she's a main character and a lot of people would be annoyed if she was locked behind such a high price.

55 minutes ago, SupesBatsy said:

I'm sorry, what is this book? Qhere can it be bought?

It's the Lego Harry Potter Build Your Own Adventure book. Can be bought most places e.g. Amazon. It also contains an exclusive sorting hat/fireplace build with Harry.

It has lots of MOC ideas that are fairly simple since it's mostly aimed at kids, but good starting points. There's also some actually pretty cool builds in there.

They do this for lots of themes.

Edit: Jedi's review and flickthrough - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Ndo3SqLRE

Just2Good's review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpudD5T9zks

40 minutes ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

I doubt we'll see Florean Fortescues Ice Cream Parlor, Eylops Owl Emporium, the Apothecary or Madam Malins but only because they weren't featured in the films. Despite my best hopes, Lego doesn't really like making non film scene sets.

There is the chance for Quality Quidditch supplies, as I think I'm right in saying it was in the Diagon Alley micro scale set.

Flourish and Blotts could be done, though judging by the modular library sets I'm not sure how many actual book pieces we'd get, probably just a load of unprinted tiles.

I'm unsure whether Lego would make the Leaky Cauldron, as it is does have the pub element to it. But it would be nice to see the brick wall that leads into Diagon Alley.

I can't remember if Borgin and Burkes is confirmed, but it would be great to see it again. Especially if they include the vanishing cabinet like they have previously.

For Weasley Wizarding Wheezes, I hope it has plenty of prints or stickers and little references. (love potions, edible dark marks, Peruvian instant darkness powder etc)

For Olivanders, I hope there's a way to store extra wands, as I have quite a number of the CMF series figures I've ended up with plenty of spare wands.

Gringotts is the most obvious inclusion, I would like the Ukrainian Iron Belly to be able to fit on top of the roof. Or at least be able to remove the heard and place it in an empty panel on the roof, to give it the effect of breaking out.

I agree. They'll probably stick to film-only stuff, which I'm happy with - we can interpret our own of the others.

QQS has a moderate chance.

I'd be happy with unprinted titles for F&B - I'd rather it look full than each and every item have lots of detail but there not be many of them.

Good point with the Leaky Cauldron. I've been an advocate for including it, but on second thoughts, just the brick wall would do.

No shops are confirmed. I would like B&B but I know others aren't keen and would rather it be as a separate set, as they're more likely to have that as its own set rather than a DA building. Which makes sense actually.

Yes, WWW must be super detailed if it's included! They can go so far with that shop.

That's a good point with Olivanders. I'm kinda hoping they have a similar aesthetic to how I described F&B too.

Lol there'e been endless discussion about Gringotts underground and the Ironbelly. That's another thing that could well be its own set, we'll have to see.

Edited by sammy_zammy

8 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

I'm still lucky enough to own a lot of the 2010 wave so I've skipped out on all the Hogwarts builds so far (I was interested in the Clocktower but wasn't very impressed by the final build). The largest set I've got from this theme so far is the Hagrid's Hut as I've mostly picked up the smaller sets which complement my collection: the Aragog set, Expecto Patronum, the Knight Bus, Hungarian Horntail and Graveyard duel sets. The 2019 sets had a lot more that interested me and I think this year will have even more!

As great as the 2010 Hogwarts is, it doesn’t compare to this current of Castle sections. They’re great builds & details. I know the previous Castle is more complete though. 

4 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

With a bag over his head, great minifig opportunity :laugh: :tongue:

Just imagine the minifig accessory...

59 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

As great as the 2010 Hogwarts is, it doesn’t compare to this current of Castle sections. They’re great builds & details. I know the previous Castle is more complete though. 

I agree with you there, I remember the day that the Great Hall set was revealed because it blew my mind! However I was able to use the pieces from 2010 Hogwarts to recreate the layout of the Great Hall and tower quite well, and have since built my own Hogwarts around it with much larger rooms than you can get in the sets. I think that's the greatest weakness of the new castle segments in that they sacrifice space for detail, especially in the Clocktower and Whomping Willow sets. 

That being said I'll definitely get the Room of Requirement set no matter what and am keeping an open mind about the Astronomy Tower. We'll just have to wait and see... :look:

Just now, Darth Shadowthrone said:

I agree with you there, I remember the day that the Great Hall set was revealed because it blew my mind! However I was able to use the pieces from 2010 Hogwarts to recreate the layout of the Great Hall and tower quite well, and have since built my own Hogwarts around it with much larger rooms than you can get in the sets. I think that's the greatest weakness of the new castle segments in that they sacrifice space for detail, especially in the Clocktower and Whomping Willow sets. 

That being said I'll definitely get the Room of Requirement set no matter what and am keeping an open mind about the Astronomy Tower. We'll just have to wait and see... :look:

Well, that’s true. I didn’t even think of it from MOC/MOD perspective. I reckon you could recreate it decently enough with the old Castle. I don’t MOC so what I see is what I get. Sometimes the minifigures outshine the set they come in, but I feel HP is the best balanced theme out there.