Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

3 minutes ago, Crookshanks said:

Have someone thoughts if any hp set will be retiered next year?

Especially Great hall and the clocktower set seems to be have selling very good. How good do you guys think Hogwarts castle have selling? And the smaller sets?

Aragog (and the fantastic beast sets) have been retired this year.

I seem to remember reading the Lego Hogwarts Great Hall was the best-selling Harry Potter toy in 2019 (I offer no source or specific location as I can't remember where I read it!). So it's certainly selling well.

However I wouldn't be surprised if some of the smaller 2018 sets retire, just to make way for new stuff. It's been discussed on here that the Whomping Willow could retire soon to avoid conflicting with Privet Drive, which is rumoured to include the flying car as well.

Edited by sammy_zammy

Just now, sammy_zammy said:

It's been discussed on here that the Whomping Willow could retire soon to avoid conflicting with the Burrow, which is rumoured to include the flying car as well.

Wasn't it rumoured to be in Privet Dr.?

Edited by thenudeorganist

Just now, thenudeorganist said:

Wasn't it rumoured to be in Privet Dr.?

Brain fart, thanks, edited now lol

29 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

However I wouldn't be surprised if some of the smaller 2018 sets retire, just to make way for new stuff. It's been discussed on here that the Whomping Willow could retire soon to avoid conflicting with Privet Drive, which is rumoured to include the flying car as well.

I hope that not to many sets will be retired. I want more hp sets to release next year, so I hope that the most set is selling good! And the castle, because I dont have it yet.

I dont think the Private Drive will included the car. It's going to have more figures than whomping willow, the house will be details (Harry's room) if the rumors is true. And the price is lower. I'm looking forward to this set!

4 minutes ago, Crookshanks said:

I hope that not to many sets will be retired. I want more hp sets to release next year, so I hope that the most set is selling good! And the castle, because I dont have it yet.

I dont think the Private Drive will included the car. It's going to have more figures than whomping willow, the house will be details (Harry's room) if the rumors is true. And the price is lower. I'm looking forward to this set!

Privet Drive is definitely going to include the car, multiple people have confirmed it :wink:. Also Ron would make no sense being included without it. 

1 hour ago, Crookshanks said:

Have someone thoughts if any hp set will be retiered next year?

The 2019 sets will definetely remain on shelves untill next year but I'd expect most 2018 sets to retire in the second half of 2020. The Great Hall is still very much the flagship set of this theme so I would expect that one to last at least another year but the other sets (Whomping Willow, Hogwarts Express and Quidditch Match) will most likely end up on the EOL list for 2020. 

13 minutes ago, Crookshanks said:

I hope that not to many sets will be retired. I want more hp sets to release next year

What you're saying here is very conflicting. In order to get new sets they have to create shelfspace, meaning some sets will have to retire. As I said above: I fully expect all of the 2018 sets except for the Great Hall and D2C to go out of production in late-2020

When Quidditch and Willow sets retire i expect we'll see Snape show up in another set.

He might also be in this years Advent calendar. like Flitwick without his rope, or perhaps just normal like Dumbledore and McGonnagal..  Just a thought.

Edited by deskp

Just now, deskp said:

When Quidditch and Willow sets retire i expect we'll see Snape show up in another set.

He might also be in this years Advent calendar. like Flitwick without his rope, or perhaps just normal like Dumbledore and McGonnagal..  Just a thought.

Even ignoring the AC that makes a lot of sense and makes me feel much more confident about my thoughts on the EOL list for Harry Potter this year. Next year is Deathly Hallows so Snape will definetely appear in at least one set there 

21 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Even ignoring the AC that makes a lot of sense and makes me feel much more confident about my thoughts on the EOL list for Harry Potter this year. Next year is Deathly Hallows so Snape will definetely appear in at least one set there 

On the subject of Deathly Hallows (and Order of the Pheonix and half Blood Prince really), there was very little representation from these in the first reboot (and obviously the original line).

Do we think Lego will do the same here (assuming the theme continues for another year at least)? I feel if they do this they'd need a bit of a shift in focus - at the moment, the focus seems to be on a recognisable build and less on a specific scene like previous waves. I mean I guess DH has lots of unique locations as the trio travel around, but I don't feel like these would be as recognisable/sellable to fans and so wouldn't be as desirable for Lego to produce.

Edit: I guess Hungarian Horntail, Expecto Patronum, Graveyard Duel etc. disproves my point here but this was definitely true in 2018, where we didn't get anything like the Forbidden Corridor or the Chamber of Secrets.

Edited by sammy_zammy

Just now, sammy_zammy said:

On the subject of Deathly Hallows (and Order of the Pheonix and half Blood Prince really), there was very little representation from these in the first reboot (and obviously the original line).

Do we think Lego will do the same here (assuming the theme continues for another year at least)? I feel if they do this they'd need a bit of a shift in focus - at the moment, the focus seems to be on a recognisable build and less on a specific scene like previous waves. I mean I guess DH has lots of unique locations as the trio travel around, but I don't feel like these would be as recognisable/sellable to fans and so wouldn't be as desirable for Lego to produce.

I think they'll just be DH based with a bit of creative differences. At the pricepoints of the upcoming wave you could fill all of them with DH related sets:

- 20: tent 

- 30: small Battle of Hogwarts section 

- 70: Gringotts escape 

- 100: another part of Hogwarts

- 40: another brickbuilt creature similair to the upcoming Hedwig

There is enough in the 2 DH movies to represent here, if not they could always throw in a random scene from another movie like they did this year. While many people her want Malfoy Manor I just don't think that's going to happen.

But it's a bit early to start speculating on next years' sets when we haven't even seen those coming out in 2 months

2 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Edit: I guess Hungarian Horntail, Expecto Patronum, Graveyard Duel etc. disproves my point here but this was definitely true in 2018, where we didn't get anything like the Forbidden Corridor or the Chamber of Secrets.

The Harry Potter franchise is extremely popular. The film franchise itself is the third-highest grossing just behind Star Wars and Marvel. Many of the most memorable scenes are from later films and I believe that there are plenty of possible sets from those films, that would sell well. I guess Lego wanted to focus on building the modular Hogwarts instead of recreating scenes such as the forbidden corridor and the chamber of secrets because they would have to be large sets and wouldn't fit inside the castle build. I reckon, though, that in the future we will be getting those sets also. Perhaps after the modular Hogwarts is complete.

50 minutes ago, thenudeorganist said:

The film franchise itself is the third-highest grossing just behind Star Wars and Marvel. 

I wouldn't say it's just behind Marvel. The Harry Potter movies got around 9,1 billion dollars behind Star Wars' 10,3 billion. Marvel meanwhile has grossed over 22,5 billion dollars! That's more than 3 billion dollars more than Star Wars and Harry Potter combined

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

I wouldn't say it's just behind Marvel. The Harry Potter movies got around 9,1 billion dollars behind Star Wars' 10,3 billion. Marvel meanwhile has grossed over 22,5 billion dollars! That's more than 3 billion dollars more than Star Wars and Harry Potter combined

By "just" I meant that there are JUST two franchises above it. Profit-wise it's clearly a lot behind Marvel.

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

There is enough in the 2 DH movies to represent here, if not they could always throw in a random scene from another movie like they did this year. While many people her want Malfoy Manor I just don't think that's going to happen. But it's a bit early to start speculating on next years' sets when we haven't even seen those coming out in 2 months

You're right, there's a lot more recognisable scenes than I thought. The lake would be cool with the tent as well. And then there's the Lovegoods' house, which would be awesome, and would fit with the Burrow and Privet Drive as well. I agree with you about Malfoy Manor. You're also right it's probably a bit early!

1 hour ago, thenudeorganist said:

The Harry Potter franchise is extremely popular. The film franchise itself is the third-highest grossing just behind Star Wars and Marvel. Many of the most memorable scenes are from later films and I believe that there are plenty of possible sets from those films, that would sell well. I guess Lego wanted to focus on building the modular Hogwarts instead of recreating scenes such as the forbidden corridor and the chamber of secrets because they would have to be large sets and wouldn't fit inside the castle build. I reckon, though, that in the future we will be getting those sets also. Perhaps after the modular Hogwarts is complete.

Yeah that makes sense actually. I guess I forget some scenes in the later films because there haven't been many Lego sets already! Hopefully you're right and they have the Forbidden Corridor and Chamber of Secrets later on, that'd be awesome. I tried creating MOCs but it's hard to get it to fit with the existing Hogwarts set and not start going too complicated!

Just now, Zedro said:

To be true the D2C being DA and to have the front (exterior) of Gringotts, a set in the next year to portray the escape with the dragon, the vaults and a rail system (interior) would be spectacular and would nicely complement the two sets. ;) It is indeed a nice option.

Yes that'd be an awesome way to extend Gringotts! As I don't see the DA D2C incorporating the vast interior that Gringotts would require, and the interior would also work well as a standalone set like the original Gringotts.

In my opinion, the DA set needs to be as complete as possible in order to justify the price tag. You can‘t sell an incomplete DA at 400$ and expect customers to buy the additional shops separately :grin: Sure, the Hogwarts D2C is also incomplete, but they don‘t offer add-ons to that set :tongue: 

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

In my opinion, the DA set needs to be as complete as possible in order to justify the price tag. You can‘t sell an incomplete DA at 400$ and expect customers to buy the additional shops separately :grin: Sure, the Hogwarts D2C is also incomplete, but they don‘t offer add-ons to that set :tongue: 

We just know we'll always want more since even if it is $400, there's still only so much they can put in!

2 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

Yes that'd be an awesome way to extend Gringotts! As I don't see the DA D2C incorporating the vast interior that Gringotts would require, and the interior would also work well as a standalone set like the original Gringotts.

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I doubt we'd get any more individual shops after the Diagon Alley set but I definitely don't see a rail system and a dragon included it what will probably be a very display-oriented D2C. As the vaults and rail carts definitely wouldn't fit into the exterior of Gringotts unless it looked like the D2C Batcave or the Rancor Cage under Jabba's Palace I wouldn't be surprised if two sets are produced with no marketing suggesting they be put together. 

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

What you're saying here is very conflicting. In order to get new sets they have to create shelfspace, meaning some sets will have to retire. As I said above: I fully expect all of the 2018 sets except for the Great Hall and D2C to go out of production in late-2020

Why should they retired sets if they are selling good?

For example, the modular house parisian came out 2015 and retired this year. Other modular houses have come out after that and retired earlier.

If other themes sells worse than hp they will retired and that will create shelfspace for hp.

I have seen great hall, whomping willow, Hogwarts express like "best seller" in some websites in my country. But I dont know if the smaller sets sells good.

1 minute ago, Crookshanks said:

For example, the modular house parisian came out 2015 and retired this year. Other modular houses have come out after that and retired earlier.

If other themes sells worse than hp they will retired and that will create shelfspace for hp.

I have seen great hall, whomping willow, Hogwarts express like "best seller" in some websites in my country. But I dont know if the smaller sets sells good.

it depends where they sell well. if its online they don't have to consider shelf space int he same way, just storage space.

If its in physical stores its different.

23 minutes ago, Crookshanks said:

I see you're not really familiar with the whole 'assortement and EOL' thing, but what you're describing is not how it works. The shelfspace is usually set up per theme so depending on the size of theme X that theme has a specific amount of shelf- and storagespace. This effects storeshelves, the stores' stockrooms, warehouses, distribution warehouses, factories etc. Because LEGO adds well over 100 sets to it's assortment every year some older sets will have to retire to make space for the new ones, those sets are on the EOL list (End Of Life). Usually normal sets (so not D2C's like the modular buildings you mentioned) have a lifespan of 2 years or shorter with an exception here and there. If a strong selling theme could take the shelfspace of other themes like you said they could the amount of themes LEGO produces would lower significantly and a big chunk of storeshelves would be filled with LEGO City sets. It's just the way things have been for years now. For Harry Potter this means there is a high chance of the 2018 sets I mentioned a few posts back going into retirement at the end of the year.

@Crookshanks Keep an eye on this site - https://retiringsets.com/ - if something comes up on their retiring soon list, then look at getting it if you want it. It will retire at Lego.com before other shops obviously, so there would still be plenty of time even when it is listed as "retiring soon" on Lego.com.

Please stop with the EOL discussion in this thread. I don´t expect 2020 sets to be EOL, do you? Sooo back to topic :laugh:

In the USA, Walmart and target have already retired Hogwarts Express and great hall. I believe whomping willow now too from what I saw pre Covid. Yes it’s first wave, but it’s just how it works. It last much longer than previous first waves in other themes. Shop@Home still has them available which is odd considering normally it works the other way around as to who retires what first. Amazon also still has first wave at 80-100% costs. 

I wasn’t fortune enough to snag express or great hall at $20. I’m sure someone arm swiped the whole shelf. 

3 minutes ago, TurboTj-DK said:

Please stop with the EOL discussion in this thread. I don´t expect 2020 sets to be EOL, do you? Sooo back to topic :laugh:

These sets still complement the 2019 sets and the upcoming wave so there's no reason not to talk about it. It's not like there is much to discuss anyway besides the DA speculation that's basically the same every single time. But I hope Crookshanks understands the whole EOL thing now so we don't have to continue it. 

3 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

These sets still complement the 2019 sets and the upcoming wave so there's no reason not to talk about it. It's not like there is much to discuss anyway besides the DA speculation that's basically the same every single time. But I hope Crookshanks understands the whole EOL thing now so we don't have to continue it. 

Whatever dude :dwacko: