Sign in to follow this  
Lego David

Star Wars will be leaving LEGOLAND in 2020

This came as rather unexpected news:

(Skip to 6:00)

So it seems like the Star Wars Miniland will be leaving LEGOLAND California in January 2020, and it will be replaced with a different attraction. What are your thoughts? What do you think this means, and what new attraction do you think will replace the Star Wars Miniland?

I wouldn't read deeply into it. For all we know, Disney is attempting to cut down on whatever meager competition Legoland poses to Disneyland's flagging Galaxy's Edge.

In fact, I'd bet money that's why.

you could be on to something there.  Could also be linked to Lego taking ownership through their family company KIRKBI Invests?  maybe Disney felt some kind of threat from this?  

It woulld almost be sounding like the start of a decline in licencing between Lego and Disney?

1 hour ago, paul_delahaye said:

It woulld almost be sounding like the start of a decline in licencing between Lego and Disney?

See, I think that's going too far. Lego is a very popular product - unless Disney is getting into the toy-making business (other than the garbage they sell at their theme parks), there's no reason to end a licensing agreement that is making them money for essentially no effort. It would be like cutting off Mattel. Not to mention that Lego is pretty deeply embedded into some Disney properties, which would make any rift both painful and public:

lego-store-1556114680.jpg

It's almost certain that this is a minor decision rather than a major one. And if it was a major one, I think we all know on which side we'd come down on: Lego's. If Disney ever did foolishly end the licensing, at this point, we have pretty much everything we need to keep MOCing for some time to come.

If you want to fret over something, I'd worry about Disney's monopoly at some point being broken up. I get a general sense that Hollywood is none-to-happy about the mega-corp, and - eventually - the powers that be may go to the government with some bit of evidence or whatever that allows the feds to force Disney to divest various business interests. THAT might risk the Lego partnership.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

5 hours ago, Lego David said:

So it seems like the Star Wars Miniland will be leaving LEGOLAND California in January 2020, and it will be replaced with a different attraction. What are your thoughts?

I have been to Billund 3 months ago.
The Star Wars Miniland was in TERRIBLE condition.

If it is more or less the same in California, then it is no big deal to get ride of it entirely.

I was in the Singapore Legoland a few years ago and that star wars 'exhibit' was in rough shape as well. The darkness kind of hid things, but you could see it was getting a bit stale and dusty. Some bits had fallen over without being fixed. Big line to get in as well, so pretty disappointing experience compared to the rest of the park.