NotToScale

British Rail Class 20

Hello, 

I have been mostly lurking and occasionally posting here for a while. I though it’s about time to share a MOC or three and this is the first. 

The prototype is the long serving small/medium BR Class 20 in BR Blue - a common sight for most of the last 60 years on railways across the uk:

20142 at Coalville 31.05.1987

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_20

In terms of background, I set myself some limitations before I started building trains:

1. 6 wide core build
2. A Lego model based on a real train but not a scale model per-say. 
3. No Bricklink etc purchases - parts on hand only. 
4. Doors must open!

Finally, they had to be sturdy enough to be played with by my children without to many issues:

Lego BR class 20Lego BR class 20

Its first run out was round the office Christmas tree (I’m up to date with the photos as you can see!) pulling a wip MOC BR Mk1 carriage in Hogwarts colours and a “festive” train of sweets (hence twin motors and polarity switch hidden in the cab).

The next stage is decals for the side panels and a splitter for the lights so I can have three point lighting through the headboard boards.

Comments and alternate versions very welcome, I know there are a couple of other versions of this type out there but there doesn’t seem to be much information on them.

Very nicely done! I've been sketching a few similar models in LDD recently, so seeing such a good rendition of the class was a nice surprise. I like your bonnet design and handrails; I've been always stuck trying to get a (nearly) 4-wide bonnet around a battery box, which pretty much limits the livery choice to the uninspiring BR Railfreight Grey. I think the class is quite pleasing, the only Type 1 single-cab locos surviving on UK main-line metals. I can't wait to see this model with enhanced lighting and decoration, it should look fantastic.

Nicely done, especially considering your own set of limitations. I like that hockey stick, is it?, for the railing on the side.

20 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Very nicely done! I've been sketching a few similar models in LDD recently, so seeing such a good rendition of the class was a nice surprise. I like your bonnet design and handrails; I've been always stuck trying to get a (nearly) 4-wide bonnet around a battery box, which pretty much limits the livery choice to the uninspiring BR Railfreight Grey. I think the class is quite pleasing, the only Type 1 single-cab locos surviving on UK main-line metals. I can't wait to see this model with enhanced lighting and decoration, it should look fantastic.

Thanks!

I have got as far as working out a way of using the newer 2x1 plate with rounded ends as the headboard on the cab end; this leaves the packaging tight but manageable.

The hood end is more tricky.

Not that I need to explain fitting PF into a tight space to you having seen your extraordinary GWR 0-6-0 Pannier Tank!

2 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Nicely done, especially considering your own set of limitations. I like that hockey stick, is it?, for the railing on the side.

Thanks; yes that’s a pair of hockey sticks for railings with lightsaber handles to match the length. 

Edited by NotToScale
Formatting fix.