Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

I would just love to see new parts and tools for the minifigures! Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of the latest City sets themselves; however, I will buy the sets if there is a new element I want to use on my MOCs.

2 hours ago, CastleBeachFire said:

I would just love to see new parts and tools for the minifigures! Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of the latest City sets themselves; however, I will buy the sets if there is a new element I want to use on my MOCs.

City is my favorite theme. However, I'm not too proud of their recent waves. Especially the idea of named characters (though i do have a soft spot for Chase McCain). I love the vehicles that City does much better anyway. I mostly collect older ones from the 2010s when the standards of City sets were much higher than they are now. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

1 minute ago, Brandon Pea said:

City is my favorite theme. However, I'm not too proud of their recent waves. Especially the idea of named characters (though i do have a soft spot for Chase McCain). I love the vehicles that City does much better anyway. I mostly collect older ones from the 2010s when the standards of City sets were much higher than they are now. 

I agree with you 100%! My personal favorite era was the World City sets, although the late 2009/early 2010 City sets were awesome too! 

3 minutes ago, CastleBeachFire said:

I agree with you 100%! My personal favorite era was the World City sets, although the late 2009/early 2010 City sets were awesome too! 

Not really a fan of World City. Too much focus on emergency sets. Though that would be hypocritical of me to say because then again, you can say the same about City. 

I recently recieved the 2013 cargo truck and the 2013 Octan truck. Let's not beat around the bush here. The 2013 cargo truck was WAY better than the 2017 one. It was more realistic. I don't speak for anyone else, but I have never seen a truck that transports Lego sets in an opened container. Reference to the 60169 Cargo Terminal. 

However, some newer City builds aren't actually that bad. I got the bank from 60245 and I plan on buying the new passenger jet set. Though, I am thinking about scratching that and just trying to find the 2016 airport instead. 

Just now, Brandon Pea said:

Not really a fan of World City. Too much focus on emergency sets. Though that would be hypocritical of me to say because then again, you can say the same about City. 

I recently recieved the 2013 cargo truck and the 2013 Octan truck. Let's not beat around the bush here. The 2013 cargo truck was WAY better than the 2017 one. It was more realistic. I don't speak for anyone else, but I have never seen a truck that transports Lego sets in an opened container. Reference to the 60169 Cargo Terminal. 

However, some newer City builds aren't actually that bad. I got the bank from 60245 and I plan on buying the new passenger jet set. Though, I am thinking about scratching that and just trying to find the 2016 airport instead. 

Haha! Seeing that emergency sets are kinda my thing, I think this is why I love that era so much haha! 

As for other city models, I do hope to move to functional custom rigs. I've been super inspired lately by Criga88 (Seen below) over on Flickr and how the models are quite similar to the City sets, but have much more details.  

Scania P series delivery truck

11 hours ago, Bornin1980something said:

What!?! Where did you get those assault weapons?

Those are just regular SW blasters, official lego bricks.

60259, 60269 and 60271 still have yet to be revealed. I'm assuming those will be this year's town sets. Still a chance for a people pack and town planning set along with a standalone building. 

20 minutes ago, Powered by Bricks said:

Any information of the 2020 last City sets ?

Pictures of 2019 Ski Resort appeared 20 July 2019 and that was a September release, so we'll probably might see some info in 2-3 weeks, maybe sooner unofficially.

8 hours ago, Powered by Bricks said:

Any information of the 2020 last City sets ?

I am ready for some info on the D2C Town Planning set we were supposed to get. I would really like a yellow tram. Hopefully we hear soon!

37 minutes ago, Tallus said:

I am ready for some info on the D2C Town Planning set we were supposed to get. I would really like a yellow tram. Hopefully we hear soon!

I'm getting impatient for that one.

Overall, despite the various subthemes for City, I think I can officially split Lego City in two halves; action outside of the city and action within. However, in recent years, some sets under subthemes that supposedly take place within the city are portrayed as being out of the city such as the 2019 fire plane and the 2014 helicopter chase set. It seems like City is rather hesitant to give shine time to action within the city.

Its obvious that action outside of the city sells better as I'm assuming that young boys don't just love action. They love WILD action. While I do wish for the days when City only focused on action within the city to return, I doubt that would happen as by now, action outside of the city seems to be too popular and provides more ready made action than action within the city. By why put those sets under City? Now that's a tough question! The thing is......putting those types of sets by themselves would be to their detriment and there is really no other place to put them. Put them under City and people buy them. So that's kinda the short version to a long a pointless explanation that would take me away from the point.

City nowadays is more about jobs than city life. By giving more leeway to action outside of the city, the City theme itself is evolving rather than going against its heritage. Though this year, it seems City almost fully promoted action within the city except for the divers sets and the safari off roader. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Does anybody know if set 30370 City Diver Polybag is on the shelves already? I even can't find it on LEGO's homepage.

12 hours ago, The Reader said:

Does anybody know if set 30370 City Diver Polybag is on the shelves already? I even can't find it on LEGO's homepage.

It seems it's not available from LEGO itself yet, but I've seen it being available in certain German (toyme.eu) and Dutch (brickshop.nl) webshops.

So police sets are obviously the money grabber for City. If that's the case, why don't they just give Police its own theme instead? It would make much more sense to do that instead of wasting money (and bricks) on sets that don't make money. Other City sets obviously don't sell and this time of crisis, Lego can only afford to make sets that sell the best. Just a suggestion, Lego! I say give City a break and focus on a theme that only centers around the police force. 

5 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

So police sets are obviously the money grabber for City. If that's the case, why don't they just give Police its own theme instead? It would make much more sense to do that instead of wasting money (and bricks) on sets that don't make money. Other City sets obviously don't sell and this time of crisis, Lego can only afford to make sets that sell the best. Just a suggestion, Lego! I say give City a break and focus on a theme that only centers around the police force. 

Designers design sets a year early. This elite police was just another theme, that was planned. Trust me, city did not do this for corona time, they planned it last year. my brother works there, and told me the sets are planned a year or 6 months early.

News on the d2c set. earlier today, a extremely secret set was leaked. someone from the lego store or a customer bought it, and leaked it. this set was supposed to come out in august. if this set has already been shipped out, then the new city set most likely has to. there has been a trend of sets being put out early, for example the elite police, and mario. So i would say this new city set will be leaked very soon.

Edited by toopizza13

25 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

Designers design sets a year early. This elite police was just another theme, that was planned. Trust me, city did not do this for corona time, they planned it last year. my brother works there, and told me the sets are planned a year or 6 months early.

News on the d2c set. earlier today, a extremely secret set was leaked. someone from the lego store or a customer bought it, and leaked it. this set was supposed to come out in august. if this set has already been shipped out, then the new city set most likely has to. there has been a trend of sets being put out early, for example the elite police, and mario. So i would say this new city set will be leaked very soon.

Are you perhaps referring to the Nintendo NES set?

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

Because Police City sets can be used alongside other City sets and fit in perfectly well with them. Police are part of City. They could equally well start branding Fire in a completely different way to Police and City. They could brand any food related ones as something completely different, so restaurants and food trucks get branded that way. Utility vehicles would need their own theme. Buses and taxis could be marketed under Public Transport. Shops could be sold under a Shops theme. Boats would need their own theme. Sets like Donut Shop Opening would be banned, as it contains Police, Food, Public Transport, Shops, etc. so would need multiple theme branding on the box.

Selling all real life type sets under a common City banner makes much more sense. They don't need individual theme branding. If I look at a City set and see a police car on it, I know it is a police set. I know it can be used alongside other City sets. 

@MAB You bring up valid points. But tbh, those other City themes don't really sell like police do. Even though I work with public transport, I even have to admit that I would probably be one of the very few to have loved a set like 8404 or 60154 as a child. Fire sets don't sell as well as police obviously as they don't really get as much clout as police. So...i mean....whats really the point in doing those other City topics if they don't sell. In this day in time, sells and numbers are what Lego is about now. City is not a theme that's for the fandom and by the fandom like it was back during the "HEY" generation. 

Also, the fandom's argument isn't really whether the police sets are there or not. Its really the fact that Lego releases a substantial amount every year with them taking up the majority of space in the theme. If you kick the sets that don't sell out of the house and give the one that does sell (Police) its own theme then everyone wins. The AFOLs win because they won't winge anymore and the KFOLs (the primary market) wins because they get to see the sets that they want in an even more straightforward way. 

As for those other City themes you mentioned......don't count on those being dedicated themes under City anytime soon. Great Vehicles and Town are your only hopes for those types of sets. That's just been the reality of City since 2012. You can say things like "If you don't like, simply don't buy!". But if you need to take into account that there have been times when City has went months to years without anything interesting. Therefore....what is there that we CAN buy? Nothing! There will be entire waves that we'll be passing up and our table towns will go a while without evolving whether its new vehicles or new buildings. 

You can also say...."You don't know what kind of limitations the designers of City are under!". That could mean various things. Like I said in a previous statement, their limitations may be that they can only afford to specialize in repetition for a year or two and do only the sets that sell. They may not be able to start a new theme for City.....as much as I would like public transport to get its own dedicated City subtheme instead of being regulated to the Town/Great Vehicles subtheme. But I'm not counting on it happening. Matter of fact, as far as non-emergency City subthemes go - we've got trains, arctic, miners, turbo wheels, divers and space. Limitations could also mean that the higher ups don't approve. You can do all the tests you want. If the higher ups who are above the designers say no.....it ain't happenin'. 

Personally, I think the designers of City does focus too much on police. I can also say the same thing about action outside of the city (i.e Space, Miners, Arctic, Divers, Volcano, Jungle, etc). But it obviously sells or else City wouldn't put other topics aside to focus on those more. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

47 minutes ago, Powered by Bricks said:

@toopizza13 any more information of the new d2c set ?

Only thing I'm aware of is that it allegedly has a yellow tram and some vehicles and buildings. But nothing more than that. I'm not even certain it's real, but I do hope so.