Sign in to follow this  
Professor Thaum

[PA Cup - Cat. B - Classe 2 ] Arkham Chaser

Not far from Alexport, on high sea.

uss3.jpg

Iauln : Doctor, you're sure to let me skip this one ?

Dr Thaum : Yes my dear Iauln, the Arkham Chaser is really easy to handle and you're now a pretty skilled sailor, go on, knock yourself out !

axhm.jpg

Iauln : WOOOOHOOOOOOO !!!!

Dr Thaum : Yes my boy !! come on touch the wind, this cutter is made for that !

3psc.jpg

39di.jpg

Iauln : Born to be WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILD !!!

rd42.jpg

Iauln : Doctor, could we win the race with this ship ?

Dr Thaum : It's a matter of wind, skill and above all luck to win a race... But yes, this ship is fast, maneuverable, swift with enough sails. It could win the race.

Some bonus pics

l9lx.jpg

171b.jpg

zzhy.jpg

s9au.jpg

4nq2.jpg

yqr1.jpg

I really enjoyed to built this boat, hope it will please your eyes...

C&C Welcome

ARKHAM CHASER - Class 2 Cutter

R     M     G     C     $     H

3      6      0      0     2     1

This ship is based upon the Pen Duick of Eric Tabarly

Nice shape, cool colours and some great designs. Like the headlights, simple yet effective. I really like the jib boom and the astern dark tan railing.

All around excellent yacht, Professor! A very elegant, long, low and sleek vessel that I think will do very well in light weathers! Both bow and stern are using some interesting and effective techniques, but my favourite part of your build is the rigging.

It looks very true to reality, including ropes for lowering the sail area in hard winds. My only comment is the odd little boom you have on the innermost jib (the forestaysail). I have never seen that - normally they would simply be sheeted home to the relevant side.

Good luck in the cup!

That jib boom might not be that common, but I have seen one often enough. It may have been developed after the time of the coalition wars, but BoBs has its own timeline and I love to see some variety of rigs.

26 minutes ago, Wellesley said:

That jib boom might not be that common, but I have seen one often enough. It may have been developed after the time of the coalition wars, but BoBs has its own timeline and I love to see some variety of rigs.

Can you show some examples? :)

@Bregir

46942310464_b317cb035a_n.jpg
This is a plan from 1953. Seems indeed to be a fairly new invention.

Here a few results from a quick search. I still don't know the exact terminology, would be nice, if someone could clarify the boom's name.

313101-hoyt-jib-boom-sail-boat-1.jpgIMG_4366blog.jpg

And of course from the Pen Duick, which was the inspiration for this build:

Pen+Duick+trbord+ar..jpgpenduick%20model.jpg

Thanks. Never seen it before.

A few modern sailboats have a rail that the sheet is fixed to. When you tack, it simply falls (the fix point runs to the other end of the rail, which is mounted starboard to port) to the other side like this little boom will, and I think that might be the modern equivalent.

Doubt it would be used much for racing, though, as it can't be trimmed with the same flexibility as normal sheets. :) (At least I can't figure out how that would work)

I came back on the plans that served me to built this ship, and the added boom appeared on the plan of Pen Duick in 1958, but not on the original 1898 (gaff Cutter Yum or sistership Nan) plan by William Fife III.