knotian

Simulation tool - fishing expedition

After fumbling around for a while I believe I need a tool to design and simulate some complex mechanical mocs.

Currently I use Stud.io, but am quite willing to switch. I know LDCad has scripting.[That is the direction I am leaning at this time]

Is their a software package, at reasonable costs, where I can use Lego gears, shafts, belts, ropes, etc., in a 3d environment and simulate their interactions? (That would be better than LDCad?)

I'd like to be able to define the various components and their relationships and then 'put them in motion'.

In the absence of a Lego solution, I know that there are simulation programs that just use element definitions, and plain illustrative shapes to do this and I was wondering which one had gained some popularity among the Lego community.

Thanx

Ed

I wonder if those programs take in account of lego motor torque. Some times you have a mechanism so heavy that the motor will bog down and die. 
It would be helpful if those programs took in account the torque needed and the motors maximum power output. 

I'm really not concerned with that level of detail. Just things like getting the ratios correct and determining the resultant movement in linked mechanisms. Once I have something worked out I usually layit out on my development platform and try it out.

SR3DBuilder does have those capabilities, but that hasn't had any development done since its author passed away some years ago. I don't even know if you can buy a licence for it (for the advanced features) any more.

I did download Linkage (http://blog.rectorsquid.com/linkage-mechanism-designer-and-simulator/), but never got around to using it in anger, so can't offer any thoughts on how good it is.

Owen.

Captainowie,

Thanks. It looks good for linkages and may be helpful. Shafts and gearing, including bevel gears is my main need in lego.