Donald

Roller Coaster Looping (10261 modification)

Hi, 

I'm trying to extend/modify The LEGO Roller Coaster (10261) with a small looping using the 90º curved tracks. The distance between two tracks I can get done with two plates, back to back. I've fixed them by using Technic plates with holes, an axle and two bushes. Testing it with the real thing proves it works well (using a two-sided SNOT brick makes the overall track too wide and the cars get stuck easily). Unfortunately I'm stuck and can't get height properly adjusted, at least not when designing in Bricklink Studio 2.0 (I don't have all the bricks at hand). Another thing I'm not sure of, is if my structure isn't too rigid. In Bricklink I cannot (or don't how) to shift the curved in such a way to be able to build a full looping.  

I've found a video online of another user who has built a small looping and in his video it seems to work quite well. However the connection between the two tracks seems to be a bit of kludge (on the other hand it may just provide the flexibility needed).

So I'd like to ask the forum if you have any ideas how to make this work. Below a screenshot of the first half of the looping with green arrows pointing out the problem. The Bricklink Studio file can be found here.

Thanks for your comments or ideas. 

Donald

2019-04-04_22-01-13.jpg.4656ce7d33a6227f8d18f09b0a16c3fb.jpg

Edited by Donald
Added link to Bricklink Studio file

Hi Donald,

you will need to bend the circle so you end up with a shape resembling a spiral. This is only possible by putting some stress on the elements. For various reasons, this type of building cannot be realized in studio.

So I suggest to just buy the parts and start building it with your hands. I am sure there are many solutions how to build a full looping.

You can find my take on building a double looping in this thread. More pictures are available in my flickr album.

Have fun!

Arnold

On 4/7/2019 at 10:26 AM, Legopold said:

Hi Donald,

you will need to bend the circle so you end up with a shape resembling a spiral. This is only possible by putting some stress on the elements. For various reasons, this type of building cannot be realized in studio.

So I suggest to just buy the parts and start building it with your hands. I am sure there are many solutions how to build a full looping.

You can find my take on building a double looping in this thread. More pictures are available in my flickr album.

Have fun!

Arnold

Hi Arnold, 

thanks a lot for your answer. I already thought that it would not be possible in Studio. Your model looks pretty awesome and the Flickr photos give some needed inspiration for building techniques.

Donald 

I'd like to take this chance to ask

On youtube I saw somebody create a modified roller coaster that was made up of 6 sets ! The modification was so awesome! In fact, I won't do this because of money and time, but I want to try 2 sets to create a bigger roller coaster. Is there anyone who has already tried to make a modification of using 2 sets? I personally do not have any experience on modification. I almost always build according to the instruction book. Any advice?? 

On 7/17/2019 at 2:48 AM, ks6349 said:

I'd like to take this chance to ask

On youtube I saw somebody create a modified roller coaster that was made up of 6 sets ! The modification was so awesome! In fact, I won't do this because of money and time, but I want to try 2 sets to create a bigger roller coaster. Is there anyone who has already tried to make a modification of using 2 sets? I personally do not have any experience on modification. I almost always build according to the instruction book. Any advice?? 

Check this out: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88177/1963maniac/roller-coaster-10261-modifications/#details. Also