TurboBrick

Custom Printed Part Retailers/Recommendations

Hi folks - 

I'm looking for a reputable U.S. based retailer of custom printed tiles/parts -- particularly food, book/ephemera items.  (Official LEGO books/sushi prints just aren't varied enough for my project.)  The BrickBuildersPro store had almost everything I needed when I browsed last week, but there seems to be an issue with the site now and every search/browse renders an error.  I've contacted their support.

Eclipsebricks/EclipseGrafx has some really nice stuff, but unfortunately, they carry divisive political propaganda items which eliminates them from consideration.

I'm willing to purchase from overseas vendors (e.g., Firestar Toys, La Petite Brique, Minifigs.Me), but wondered if anyone has a suggestion for a U.S. based retailer I'm overlooking?

Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation for a non-U.S. vendor, especially with reasonable prices and shipping?

Many thanks,
-TB

Edited by TurboBrick
Would be nice if they didn't print political items, but after buying from them, there's no denying they're a great printshop: great quality, courteous and generous.

7 hours ago, TurboBrick said:

Eclipsebricks/EclipseGrafx has some really nice stuff, but unfortunately, they carry divisive political propaganda items which eliminates them from consideration.

Why not buy the parts you want, and ignore the ones you don't like? Surely most stores sell things that you don't like. For example, all supermarkets here sell newspapers that have their own often divisive political views. But I still buy food in those stores. If I didn't, I'd starve.

Reaper - thanks for the link, already found a couple items I've not seen before - will weigh the cost/benefits.  It's good to know that someone actually prints parts that were intended by LEGO to be stickers.

MAB - We'll see.  They offer custom printing so I've submitted a request counter to some of their pre-made selections.  If they accept and print that, I'll happily buy other items from them.

For custom food, try the Brick Orphanage on Bricklinks - they carry custom items from TnT (which unfortunately doesn't seem to be active)

https://store.bricklink.com/relhak

I have ordered some items from them - I can let you know how they were after I got my hands on them.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar
inserted hyperlink

alvinofdiaspar - this is fantastic!  Pricy, but certainly covers the most obscure items.  Especially the seafood/sushi selections and pizza in multiple stages of preparation.  The printed glass is amazing too.

Yes, please let me know about the quality of their parts when you get them (or if you already have).  Really appreciate this suggestion - thank you!

20 minutes ago, TurboBrick said:

alvinofdiaspar - this is fantastic!  Pricy, but certainly covers the most obscure items.  Especially the seafood/sushi selections and pizza in multiple stages of preparation.  The printed glass is amazing too.

Yes, please let me know about the quality of their parts when you get them (or if you already have).  Really appreciate this suggestion - thank you!

You’re welcome. Yeah the price is high but that’s pretty much a given when it comes to custom prints. And yes the glass seems to be amazing as well - and there were some patterns that seem to have sold out that looked absolutely spectacular. I will repost the images of those I found later as well (and will take pics of the glass I have bought when I get them too). It is so difficult to find serious printed glass that approaches the official ones in the Brickbank modular.

I am on a bit of crusade to find and create minifig scaled Lego food/foodstuff for an eventual build - will keep you posted!

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

On 2/7/2019 at 8:02 AM, alvinofdiaspar said:

It is so difficult to find serious printed glass that approaches the official ones in the Brickbank modular.

Ah - thanks for the Brink Bank mention. I had those windows on my wanted list, but removed them because I planned on getting the full set (which was just retired ><).

As for good, smaller LEGO printed 1x2x2 windows, I think these look pretty nice...

Glass for Window 1 x 2 x 2 with Arched Gold Window Pattern (60601pb017)

Glass for Window 1 x 2 x 2 with Ornamented Window Arch Pattern (60601pb013)

16 hours ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

The stained glass in question:

That stained glass looks amazing!  And wow, right out to the edges.  Considering this is the most color/pattern intense of the offerings I've seen, I suppose their simpler patterns will be just as good.  Is it fair to say you're pretty happy with it?

Again, I really appreciate you sharing this and the link.

1 hour ago, TurboBrick said:

As for good, smaller LEGO printed 1x2x2 windows, I think these look pretty nice...

Glass for Window 1 x 2 x 2 with Arched Gold Window Pattern (60601pb017)

Glass for Window 1 x 2 x 2 with Ornamented Window Arch Pattern (60601pb013)

That stained glass looks amazing!  And wow, right out to the edges.  Considering this is the most color/pattern intense of the offerings I've seen, I suppose their simpler patterns will be just as good.  Is it fair to say you're pretty happy with it?

Again, I really appreciate you sharing this and the link.

Funny I literally just received my Brickbank order today - I smacked myself for not checking online before doing my Christmas modular order, thinking that they will retire the sets by chronological order of appearance. Wrong-o - I have gotten Parisian Restaurant and Detective’s Office instead.  Had to pay through the nose for aftermarket BB and shocked by how quickly the set appreciated in value.  Not impressed. :wall:

Thanks for pointing me towards those two prints - I think I can find a use for them. My current build requires something specifically Art Nouveau in design, so neither this spectacular but sold out design nor the other Art Deco glass available fits the theme. I will take pics of the glass I have bought when they arrive.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

3 hours ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

Funny I literally just received my Brickbank order today - I smacked myself for not checking online before doing my Christmas modular order, thinking that they will retire the sets by chronological order of appearance. Wrong-o - I have gotten Parisian Restaurant and Detective’s Office instead.

Yeah - I was ticked-off too. PR was my first modular last year and I nabbed DO just in time (built it last weekend).  I just found BB on Amazon for *close* to retail and had to grab it - this should tide me over on large/expensive sets for the year.

Happy to find someone who knows the difference between Art Deco and Nouveau, and I admire your pursuit of an Art Nouveau build - that is going to be a challenge.  The new Fantastic Beasts movie set in 1920's Paris.  Not going to recreate a Metro entrance anytime soon, but hopefully they'll release some unique designs.  These are items I own or have on my list, nothing is really outright art nouveau, but some of it is passable.  You've likely seen most or all of these parts, but just in case...

This plant element is now in black and has that 'whiplash' style

This 1 x 4 x 5 window is vaguely period appropriate at least for filler (NOTE that's 5 tall, not 6)

The old Fabuland Lamp Post looks kinda' absinthe influenced

Older 2x6x5 Ornamented Arch

Newer 3x6x5 Ornamented Arch with better color choices

The Elves line had some parts that would fit well, like the fence and curved fence

And shall I assume you saw the Brick Orphanage Art Nouveau Leaves glass?

Let me know if you plan to showcase your effort - I am intrigued.  Meanwhile, I'll be working on my majestic 8-stud wide comic book store, lol!

On 2/8/2019 at 10:03 PM, TurboBrick said:

Happy to find someone who knows the difference between Art Deco and Nouveau, and I admire your pursuit of an Art Nouveau build - that is going to be a challenge.  The new Fantastic Beasts movie set in 1920's Paris.  Not going to recreate a Metro entrance anytime soon, but hopefully they'll release some unique designs.  These are items I own or have on my list, nothing is really outright art nouveau, but some of it is passable.  You've likely seen most or all of these parts, but just in case... 

This plant element is now in black and has that 'whiplash' style

This 1 x 4 x 5 window is vaguely period appropriate at least for filler (NOTE that's 5 tall, not 6)

The old Fabuland Lamp Post looks kinda' absinthe influenced

Older 2x6x5 Ornamented Arch

Newer 3x6x5 Ornamented Arch with better color choices

The Elves line had some parts that would fit well, like the fence and curved fence

And shall I assume you saw the Brick Orphanage Art Nouveau Leaves glass?

Let me know if you plan to showcase your effort - I am intrigued.  Meanwhile, I'll be working on my majestic 8-stud wide comic book store, lol!

Actually I cheated in this case - I am in the process of collecting the pieces for @Giacinto Consiglio's Casa Brickllo - in the style of the Catalan variant of Art Nouveau called Modernisme.  Having been to its' namesake Casa Batllo a few years ago, I knew I just have to get it built - it is one of my favourite buildings in Barcelona.

One of the really special thing about that building is the second floor stained glass window  - one can't really replicate it with Lego easily at a modular scale, but I can adapt the build with custom glass to pay homage to it.  Here is the custom glass from Brick Orphanage I have chosen for the build:

It is a little bit more vibrant than the Art Nouveau leaves glass at Brick Orphanage but still speaks to the general style of the architecture.  Thank you for the list of Art Nouveau parts as well!   My personal design style is more Structural Expressionism (Hi-Tech), and I am thinking of how I can adapt/modifiy 8 Chifley in Sydney by Roger Stirk Harbour into a relatively short mid-rise on a modular footprint.

If you have a chance, check out Alice Finch's Lego Architecture Idea Book - it is mightily inspirational and there are tons of useful detailing for more intricate architectural styles,

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

On 2/8/2019 at 10:26 PM, alvinofdiaspar said:

I am in the process of collecting the pieces for @Giacinto Consiglio's Casa Brickllo 

Just coming back to this and thinking that's a LOT of 1x1 plates!  The facade of the real Casa Batllo is insanely organic - I can't think of a better way to represent that at a modular scale other than through prints, which you've got a handle on.  I noticed he used some of those Elves fences (19121) in sand green on the second level, but really obscured.

For Structural Expressionism (I've not heard of that until now, but I'm not well-versed in architecture), I imagine you're able to make some unique applications with Technic parts?  Hit me up if you have an instagram - would like to see how 8 Chifley, and of course, Casa "Brickllo" work out.  I'm not MOC-ing at the level you are, just getting started and struggling with the road network, available space AND keeping all areas accessible to my 4y/o :)

I'll check out the book for sure, looks like it covers some pretty advanced methods.

2 hours ago, TurboBrick said:

Just coming back to this and thinking that's a LOT of 1x1 plates!  The facade of the real Casa Batllo is insanely organic - I can't think of a better way to represent that at a modular scale other than through prints, which you've got a handle on.  I noticed he used some of those Elves fences (19121) in sand green on the second level, but really obscured.

For Structural Expressionism (I've not heard of that until now, but I'm not well-versed in architecture), I imagine you're able to make some unique applications with Technic parts?  Hit me up if you have an instagram - would like to see how 8 Chifley, and of course, Casa "Brickllo" work out.  I'm not MOC-ing at the level you are, just getting started and struggling with the road network, available space AND keeping all areas accessible to my 4y/o :)

I'll check out the book for sure, looks like it covers some pretty advanced methods.

Yes, the amount of 1x1 is quite high - it basically made up the street facade.  After going through the insane 10253 Big Ben set, this will probably be ok (and you can stack 1x1 accurately by putting the side edge down against a hard surface and let that guide the stacking - attach the first 1x1 plate to a 1x1 block first help - just detach the 1x1 block when done). I am not a huge fan of using prints for outside details other than glass because it is a very flat looking (plus it depends on Lego creating them - custom is just too specific for it to be cost effective).  This and the two other Art Nouveau builds in the series uses the Elves fences in black, white and sand green - to more prominent effect in the other sets.

I am thinking of adopting the 10247 Ferris Wheel support structure design for the mock 8 Chifley build - it definitely require Technic parts and some additional experimentation.  It would be interesting to see how it works out but I am eager for that challenge.  I will try to document and post it on here when it happens (it may take some time!) 

Edited by alvinofdiaspar
correction

Those are beautiful - all of them!  The circular cakes with the hole are such a cool idea too.  This is The Brick Orphanage, right?  I'm going to kick myself, bc I just ordered from them and didn't connect the dots (they had the cheapest dark green windows at the time).  

1 hour ago, TurboBrick said:

Those are beautiful - all of them!  The circular cakes with the hole are such a cool idea too.  This is The Brick Orphanage, right?  I'm going to kick myself, bc I just ordered from them and didn't connect the dots (they had the cheapest dark green windows at the time).  

Yup, these are from Brick Orphanage - the Bundt cake tiles are amazing.  Re: Brickbuilderspro - their site don't seem to have any of the individual tiles on sale - how does it work?  The interface doesn't seem particularly intuitive.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

Copy that - and thanks, *Bundt* cakes - totally eluded me, I'm a rube :blush:   Anyway, I had to go back to Brick Orphanage after that post and just got 3 packs of sushi for the seafood market and some "Islamic Architecture glass" panels for the mosque and/or Near East district (I have a lot of heavily modified "Prince of Persia" and Indian themed sets).

BrickbuildersPro site is totally messed up now, I mean, it was bad before: I had to browse 40+ pages.  Now it seems they either stripped their inventory or are phasing out.  I've looked around for other printed items and finally gave in to Eclipse for their printed comics - they also have these awesome printed texture brick walls on individual bricks.  They sent a few free extra "thank you" printed tiles as well (iPad, iPhone, etc).

Otherwise, you're better going to La Petite Brique (FR) or FireStar (UK) for a wider range of printed parts from a full variety of U.S. and European customizer brands.  Just ordered a bunch from FireStar, mainly newspapers and menu boards - also a few custom minifig parts.  Shipping was only $2.  Note: I registered an account and filled my cart, then decided against it.  The next day, I got an email from them offering 10% off if I completed my purchase, so went ahead with it.  Still in transit, and if it makes it here: yay!

Edited by TurboBrick
clarity

42 minutes ago, TurboBrick said:

Copy that - and thanks, *Bundt* cakes - totally eluded me, I'm a rube :blush:   Anyway, I had to go back to Brick Orphanage after that post and just got 3 packs of sushi for the seafood market and some "Islamic Architecture glass" panels for the mosque and/or Near East district (I have a lot of heavily modified "Prince of Persia" and Indian themed sets).

BrickbuildersPro site is totally messed up now, I mean, it was bad before: I had to browse 40+ pages.  Now it seems they either stripped their inventory or are phasing out.  I've looked around for other printed items and finally gave in to Eclipse for their printed comics - they also have these awesome printed texture brick walls on individual bricks.  They sent a few free extra "thank you" printed tiles as well (iPad, iPhone, etc).

Otherwise, you're better going to La Petite Brique (FR) or FireStar (UK) for a wider range of printed parts from a full variety of U.S. and European customizer brands.  Just ordered a bunch from FireStar, mainly newspapers and menu boards - also a few custom minifig parts.  Shipping was only $2.  Note: I registered an account and filled my cart, then decided against it.  The next day, I got an email from them offering 10% off if I completed my purchase, so went ahead with it.  Still in transit, and if it makes it here: yay!

I happen to bake and have a Bundt cake pan that I use, so it is hard not to know :tongue: Now you got me tempted to pick up their "Islamic Architecture Glass" before it goes as well - we actually have an Islamic Art Museum (Aga Khan Museum) up here that uses a similar glazing and I want to do something along such lines. 

It's too bad that the BBP site seems so messed up - they have foodstuff on their FB album that I am definitely interested in picking up (they have sliced onions at one point - let's face it, you can't make a decent minifig scaled salad right now).  I want to get the movie poster glass from Eclipse for Palace Cinema, and those liquor bottles from LPB would be perfect for Parisian Restaurant (thanks for bringing the store up!)  There are already a few items on my shopping list at Firestar, so I guess I will just have to bite the bullet soon.

Lego is such an expensive hobby :laugh_hard:

EDIT - shoot, the liqour bottles are out of stock!!  There goes my brief dream of having Absinthe in the restaurant!

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

Holy cow, that glazing is so vey close!

4 minutes ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

you can't make a decent minifig scaled salad right now

I have no suggestions, but just want to say this is hilarious!

5 minutes ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

those booze bottles from LPB would be perfect for Parisian Restaurant

I wanted them, too...  but there's another unavailable pack that's way, way better: the Minibar Pack!!!  Seriously, just look at it.  I stumbled on it and asked them if they plan a re-release... Reply from the company:

"Thank you for contacting us.

We have been working on a new pack. It has been a long journey as the place we got the bottles produced is closing. We do have plans on releasing a new pack this year, However we are not sure when exactly. 

Once it is ready and released we will notify our customers through our newsletter and on our facebook page."

So, look out!  Hopefully the bottle colors are more varied, but this would probably be my final impulse buy.

6 minutes ago, TurboBrick said:

Holy cow, that glazing is so vey close!

I have no suggestions, but just want to say this is hilarious!

I wanted them, too...  but there's another unavailable pack that's way, way better: the Minibar Pack!!!  Seriously, just look at it.  I stumbled on it and asked them if they plan a re-release... Reply from the company:

So, look out!  Hopefully the bottle colors are more varied, but this would probably be my final impulse buy.

Thanks, I will definitely be on the lookout for the Eclipse version.  Having said that there is just something about that trans light blue Bombay (Brickbay) Sapphire looking especially enticing.  The Absinthe green of course would look so good in a fin de siecle Beaux-Arts Cafe build.  Just need a Van Gogh minifig... (EDIT - there are at least two different Van Gogh minifigs available on Etsy.  I am shocked.)

As to the salad - let's face it, standard Lego diet is pretty abysmal.  The tomato and cucumber customs would fit well with the newish 3 leaves plate

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

1 minute ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

The tomato and cucumber customs would fit well with the newish 3 leaves plate

Yup - I made rooftop garden with those - and to your point some extra veggies would've fit the bill...

Not a fan of gin, but I LOVE that Sapphire bottle!  A bar wouldn't look right without it.  The absinthe bottle is choice, indeed!  And speaking of Van Gogh, there's this.  BrickLoot also has some LEGO-fied paintings with frames.  I've been using their lights - the PR kit was on sale so that was my first.  So far, so good.

Lighting is definitely in the works - but there are so many different brands and I wanted something expandable and flexible.  I am leaning towards Brickstuff.

Good tip, their kits look pretty configurable/modular  - I've also heard good things about BrickLED.  Im still experimenting.  Seems antithetical, but doing a lot of little stuff at once helps (me anyway) sort out the grand layout.  If you go with Brickstuff, please do let me know how that goes. 

19 hours ago, TurboBrick said:

Good tip, their kits look pretty configurable/modular  - I've also heard good things about BrickLED.  Im still experimenting.  Seems antithetical, but doing a lot of little stuff at once helps (me anyway) sort out the grand layout.  If you go with Brickstuff, please do let me know how that goes. 

I wish there is a neater way to do cabling with the builds, instead of the rather ad-hoc approach. I will definitely let you know if I go with Brickstuff - they have some mightily impressive EL signage panels and new LCD displays too!