Let me introduce you my biggest and most complex MOC so far - COFF3 BOT. Once I was contacted by a man from HP (Hewlett-Packard) and he asked me: "Are you able to build LEGO robot that would supply Nespresso coffee machine with capsules?" It sounded interesting to me so I set meeting with him to know more. He explained me that they got coffee machine with bluetooth so you can turn it on from your smart phone. The problem was that you have to insert capsule manually into coffee machine and they were looking for some "remote control LEGO solution". Soon I began working for him and it took me about 3 months to finish this robot. It was built mainly out of LEGO Mindstorms Education and LEGO Technic Bucket Wheel Excavator. It contains about 2500 parts. The most difficult part of development was building this robot. Programming was piece of cake.

1504534475m_DISPLAY.jpg

Robot in stand by position. It has 3 storages for 5 capsules so you can load it with up to 15 capsules.

15045344761_DISPLAY.jpg

Robot without coffee machine. Notice the rail that helps robot to stay with coffee machine.

15045344772_DISPLAY.jpg

Detail of three mechanisms that insert capsules into slot on the top of coffee machine.

15045344773_DISPLAY.jpg

Detail of gearbox - there are three parallel gearboxes that switch large motors between operating storages and movement of robot. I had to use gearboxes to avoid using another EV3 brick. This series of gearboxes is part of robot that causes most of its failures.

15045344784_DISPLAY.jpg

EV3 brick works also like counterweight for jib. I've attached it in such way to keep access for battery charger.

15045344785_DISPLAY.jpg

And how it works? You turn it on and it moves to stand by position. Then it waits command from some bluetooth device that determines number of storage - you can choose out of three different capsules for your coffee. When robot receive it, it turns over coffee machine and opens its slot for capsules. It does it by pulling little lever on the top of coffee machine. Then it releases chosen capsule into slot and closes it. When it is done it sends you message that you can turn on coffee machine.

I will add link to video when HP releases it (I am not allowed to upload any video of this robot).

And finally one fun fact: cost of this coffee machine is about $200 and cost of LEGO bricks for this robot was about $800 (excluding my work).

Edited by Tomik

Just now, bord4kop said:

Epic this one :grin:

I can 't wait for the video to watch it in action :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you for comment. I hope guys from HP do it soon.