halfnine

Need Help - Volvo EC750D Scale Model for Son

My son has decided that he'd like to attempt to build a Scale Model of a Volvo EC750D.  I found some schematics and after some discussion and comparison with the size of the 42042B model and the 42055 which are currently built he settled on a 1:20 scale.  This would put the tracks at about 30 cm long.  The cab around the same length.  Width of 21 cm.  And a height to the top of the cab at 18 cm.  I've printed out a schematic at these dimensions so that he has a hard copy for reference.  I found Sariel's tutorial for scale model building as well to get some scope.  I have many, many questions.

What issues will he face with this size of a model?  Would it be simpler to make a smaller scale?  He'll likely want to motorize it.

The 8043 seems like a good starting point for ideas.  What other MOCs would be good candidates?

Where should he focus his energy first?

Which features/functions are likely to cause him the most difficulty?

9 hours ago, halfnine said:

Would it be simpler to make a smaller scale?

Depends of functions, what he want's to implement. This size could be pretty "easy", no too small or big.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:40 PM, halfnine said:

My son has decided that he'd like to attempt to build a Scale Model of a Volvo EC750D.  I found some schematics and after some discussion and comparison with the size of the 42042B model and the 42055 which are currently built he settled on a 1:20 scale.  This would put the tracks at about 30 cm long.  The cab around the same length.  Width of 21 cm.  And a height to the top of the cab at 18 cm.  I've printed out a schematic at these dimensions so that he has a hard copy for reference.  I found Sariel's tutorial for scale model building as well to get some scope.  I have many, many questions.

What issues will he face with this size of a model?  Would it be simpler to make a smaller scale?  He'll likely want to motorize it.

The 8043 seems like a good starting point for ideas.  What other MOCs would be good candidates?

Where should he focus his energy first?

Which features/functions are likely to cause him the most difficulty?

Hello!
About functions: yes, 8043 is the basic point for me, maybe you can look at the "ultimate version” which is fully motorized.

But the 8043 is much smaller than the EC750D in 1:20 scale, so you should increase length/width. I think the main problem will be the arm, you must make it bigger and stronger, but the length of the linear actuator cannot be changed, and this means you will have shorter range of movement.

My suggestion is to reduce a little the scale of the model, to match more or less the dimensions of the 8043. Use the body of the 8043 as a comparison factor, not the arm or the tracks because I think they are a little undersized in the 8043.

Keep us updated!