willsbuilds

Are there any sand brown / gray brown colored bricks?

Hello, I am wanting to find a color as close to the shingle siding as I can in the picture below.

I have not done anything with Legos in a long time. I am noticing there a very small pool of brown shades. Each shade is so different too. You will have variations of orange and purple like a light lialc, just a little lighter, then a little lighter. Same with orange. Each shade is relatively close, but with brown it is all over the place. You have tan which is on the super low end of the spectrum then dark tan and then from dark tan reddish brown. There are no in betweens. I'd just give in and use dark tan, but I need that for another part of my build. Any browns out there similar to the one below?

Thanks.

bg.jpg

@JopieK Thanks, I have seen that, but it doesn't really help. Bricks don't end up being the same color the swatches show. And then when you Google them you can't always get an example.

Edited by willsbuilds

It also depends on what type of bricks you are looking for of course. Maybe sand red comes a little in your desired spectrum? LEGO designers (from TLG) have quite some restrictions on colors. Colors play a role in what age category a set is put in but they are also limited in the amount of different colors they can use for a set. So the spectrum is becoming better (I think), but indeed still some gaps. Did you already come across dark flesh as well? There are even masonry bricks in that color: 

Lots For Sale:

Dark Bluish Gray (989)
 Dark Red (492)
 Dark Tan (1064)
 Light Bluish Gray (1096)
 Light Gray (2)
 Medium Dark Flesh (1147)
 Olive Green (119)
 Sand Green (635)
 Tan (348)

Yeah, sand red is a little on the pinkish side. I was thinking dark red. I will add it to the list to check. It will be 1x1 wedge pieces.

https://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-slope-31-1-x-1-18862-33847-35338

Thanks.

@JopieK Just saw your edit. Dark flesh is just what post 2004 brown was isn't it? I never can find dark flesh or examples online. Medium dark flesh always comes up.

Edited by willsbuilds

I meant medium dark flesh as well instead of dark flesh without the medium, medium dark flesh it is more orange than old brown. Old brown is a little darker than current reddish brown, but not as dark as current dark brown. Dark flesh was only around for two years apparently mostly Bionicle parts.

Yeah, I know the difference in brown and reddish brown, I just for the life of me never can find actual dark flesh brick examples. I guess if I Google dark nougat I will have better luck. A light reddish brown would be almost perfect.

Thanks again

In the Brickowl link above if you click the "Colors" tab you get a list of the availability

In a similar way, on Bricklink, the "Color info" tab and its "Known Colors" tab gives also a list:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=54200#T=C

If you were building with regular bricks, I'd say that the old dark gray could be a good fit (just "Dark Gray" on Bricklink, opposed to the current "Dark Bluish Gray"), but that color is old and so the parts availability is limited (and only decreasing) - for example that 1x1 slope does not exist in it.

Edited by antp

5 hours ago, antp said:

In the Brickowl link above if you click the "Colors" tab you get a list of the availability

In a similar way, on Bricklink, the "Color info" tab and its "Known Colors" tab gives also a list:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=54200#T=C

If you were building with regular bricks, I'd say that the old dark gray could be a good fit (just "Dark Gray" on Bricklink, opposed to the current "Dark Bluish Gray"), but that color is old and so the parts availability is limited (and only decreasing) - for example that 1x1 slope does not exist in it.

Right but those comes in and known colors on Brickowl aren't always complete. The wanted shows colors that may or may not exist for the part. So if you hint sometimes you fond out there are more colors. I will check out bricklink.

Thanks

I just realized I already checked out that briklink page.

Thanks again.

Edited by willsbuilds

Alternating white as a minor color splattered in with brown may achieve the look of those shingles.  You know maybe 10 percent white and 90 brown

I have been mixing tan and light bluish gray with some old light grays in there too to make wood shingles that look like our weathered houses where I live.  I am using layered 1x2 tiles instead of cheese slopes most of the time