legoig2000

Building LEGO sets with only separate parts.

Lately I am thinking of building old LEGO sets that I do not have with separate parts via Bricklink. My question now is: do those LEGO sets have the same value or the same feeling? Minifigures are of course also included. I then copy the instructions via Brickinstructions.
Thank you for answering.

I’d say yes. The models are the same, and if you really want to, you can BL the instructions for most sets and the boxes for most newer sets. Check the price of the set used first, though. Sometimes that is cheaper then partout. 

Btw, what sets do you plan to get?

I'd say same value IF they are all of new condition and no replacements are used. Certain mold varieties are required during certain eras. If you are building it for you, then it wouldn't matter on end value. If you are building these to sell, then you better get them 100% correct otherwise someone could claim fraud.

These sets are just for myself, of course. I do not want to sell them or something. I am thinking mainly of fairly old Creator sets. I do not want to risk doing this with Star Wars sets because there is a possibility that LEGO will recreate them but then improve them.

I started this conversation because it is actually quite difficult for me. It has a value that you can not explain. For example, I have seen a video with which you can make old, somewhat discolored Classic Space parts back "normal". I would not do this because that discoloration does it right. That makes them seem real. And that is not the case with separate parts ...

You can buy separate parts that are discolored and such. I’d say yes all the way for Creator sets, as they’re usually common bricks, with few mold variations between  2005, when Creator was introduced, and today.