mortenm

How to hinge a u-joint in stud.io?

Hi,

I just started building in stud.io, and to learn how stuff works, I desided to build a known model, so I'm trying to build the Model Team set "5541 Blue Fury".

I've used quite some time figuring out the correct angle for the steering column, and finally got it right. But now I need to figure out how to hinge the u-joint.

5541_zpsllmxfba4.png

As you can see in the screenshot, I also have another small problem; I can't get 71076 and 71075 (chrome exhaust) to snap properly - it needs just the last bit.

Anyone with some wise words to help me out here?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mortenm

I know from my experience that Stud.io doesnt have a Flex tool so this is likely not possible. If you need it to appear bent for instructions or some such, then you may be able to edit the part using some of the many LDraw tools before you import into Lpub for instructions. 

For 71076 and 71075, if you can’t connect them, then it might be an error in their connectivity information.  You can post a message on their forum for it to be corrected in a future next release.  While waiting, you’ll have to either have the parts collide and not be able to connect.

For the universal joint, can’t you just use the hinge tool?  Select the tool, click on the part you want to rotate, and a double arrow appears.

Thanks for your replies. 

I'll make a post on their (bricklink I suppose?) forum regarding the exhaust parts. 

When using the hinge tool on the u-joint, it just rotates the complete part ?

7 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

The dedicated forum for Stud.io is http://forum.bricklink.com/ , not the more general https://www.bricklink.com/messageList.asp .

Thanks. I went by the other day, and the page were not available or looked very abandoned (I don't remember), but I will defenitely create a few threads, as I also have some suggestions for stud.io.

You cannot bend the part you have in model, but instead you have to use the 3 parts the U-joint is made of - see library for parts 62520 (u joints end) and 62519 (u joint middle). You then have full control over them with hinge tool.

Edited by Ivan_M

On 8/13/2018 at 2:15 PM, Ivan_M said:

You cannot bend the part you have in model, but instead you have to use the 3 parts the U-joint is made of - see library for parts 62520 (u joints end) and 62519 (u joint middle). You then have full control over them with hinge tool.

It worked like a charm - when I found out that, of course, it was the 4L joint I needed :classic:

Thanks! :thumbup:

Hi guys,

I've a question for you on stud.io. I used #62519 and #62520 parts, like said before on the topic, to get the perfect angle on my building. However, on the part list, the u-joint is shown as a subassembly of the 2 parts before and not as the 62520c01 part. I don't know if I'm clear

What I've on instructions editor on Stud.io

596474541_Capturedcran2020-05-0713_08_26.png.16404219ab4e9a71dacfffd094632262.png

And what I wish :

36903290_Capturedcran2020-05-0713_19_52.png.5bb72d1987749aeb07923d590722099b.png

How can I fix that ? 

4 minutes ago, Leviathan said:

How can I fix that ? 

You can’t in Studio.

Well, you sort of can if you remove the part list for this step and replace it with your own picture (same with the BOM: fake it in another file and insert it as an image, or simply collate the PDFs when everything is finished).

We asked for a way to have “customized composites” (parts we need to break down in the build to pose, like U-joints and minifigure torsos, but that we’d like to be shown as complete in the BOMs).