Hi all;

Just managed to pick up a Lego Technic set, 8479 at a great bargain price (picture per my profile user). The owner is migrating and everything goes on fire sale - including his house :laugh::laugh::laugh:. At first, i thought i found gold (a 1997 vintage set) but upon closer inspection, there are few kinks to iron out. Unfortunately, the following parts are missing; 

- all the 4 wire cables (item no; 5306bc015, 5306bc020, 5306bc036, 5306bc046)

- 9v Mini motor (item no; 71427c01), and

- User Guide for Technic Code Pilot Reader (item no; 4111545), and 

- one of the two Flex Cable (Stud Measure) 20L (item no; bb08c20L) - broken!

I have been surfing online for all the parts (and its modern day equivalent). Interestingly, Lego has come up with Power Functions Extension Wire (20cm) (item no; 8886) which i suspect can be used in-lieu of the 4x cables above. Unfortunately, someone (in the forum) mentioned that this cannot be used to power up the 9v mini motor.  :cry_sad: :cry_sad: Don't know how true is that. Can anyone comment on this?

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-Extension-Wire-8886

If the 8886 does not work, can i just buy the longest of the 4 cables and just cut them to the required length?  

Also, is the user guide for Technic Code Pilot Reader available on-line? Just wanna download it.  

Additional twists: 

Even though the set comes with the 2x sensors (item no; 879) - given the age of this item - how to check if they worked? 

Also, one of the two Flex Cable (Stud Measure) 20L (item no; bb08c20L) is broken! For this, can i just go to the hardware store and get hold of an equivalent plastic cable? Or just use "super glue" to join the two ends together? 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi!

Welcome to the forums!

I would use Bricklink. Here is the inventory for 8479: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=8479-1

If you select any of the parts, you will find online stores selling these exact parts. I used that with great success when refurbishing my own 8479, including buying new flex and power cables.

The sensors can be checked like this:  Load one of the models' compilation program, hook up the sensor and see/hear if the Code Pilot responds.

All instructions and user guides are available here: http://lego.brickinstructions.com/m/lego_instructions/set/8479/Barcode_Truck

Good Luck!

Edited by hjxbf
Spelling

also be aware that there are two motor alternatives called older heavy and newer light

10 hours ago, bonox said:

also be aware that there are two motor alternatives called older heavy and newer light

What is the difference? Price wise, I find that the newer one (lighter weight) is more expensive. Which should I opt for?

By the way, for the flex cable which is broken - I am planning to use glue to connect both ends. What sort of glue ? Super Glue? or those glue used for plastic models?

On 4/19/2018 at 7:41 PM, kancs3118 said:
  1. I have been surfing online for all the parts (and its modern day equivalent). Interestingly, Lego has come up with Power Functions Extension Wire (20cm) (item no; 8886) which i suspect can be used in-lieu of the 4x cables above. Unfortunately, someone (in the forum) mentioned that this cannot be used to power up the 9v mini motor.  :cry_sad: :cry_sad: Don't know how true is that. Can anyone comment on this?
  2. If the 8886 does not work, can i just buy the longest of the 4 cables and just cut them to the required length?  
  3. Also, is the user guide for Technic Code Pilot Reader available on-line? Just wanna download it. 
  4. Even though the set comes with the 2x sensors (item no; 879) - given the age of this item - how to check if they worked? 
  5. Also, one of the two Flex Cable (Stud Measure) 20L (item no; bb08c20L) is broken! For this, can i just go to the hardware store and get hold of an equivalent plastic cable? Or just use "super glue" to join the two ends together?
  1. No it cannot be used, PF uses a different connection than the old 9v system.
  2. No, it is a different cable (4 wires instead of 2), and you would also need more connectors for the ends.
  3. Yes, see @hjxbf's link above^
  4. Yes, you can check them just by playing with the set... (or with a multimeter)
  5. No, the Lego cable has special ends. You could try gluing them (with "super glue"), but I doubt it would last very long...
On 4/19/2018 at 8:49 PM, hjxbf said:

I would use Bricklink. Here is the inventory for 8479: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=8479-1

+1

18 hours ago, kancs3118 said:

What is the difference [between the heavy and light motors]? Price wise, I find that the newer one (lighter weight) is more expensive. Which should I opt for?

Only weight and price... You should get the older heavier one, as that is what the Bricklink inventory has listed. (and it's cheaper)

In 1997 I bought this set as new.

A year after I bought the set I found a software program for the code pilot on lego.com.

It's an old program but still works on windows 8.1.

CodePilot.png.4acd7865004ad34c683187677d1d265e.png

Text from the readme file:

DESCRIPTION
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
With this fun program, you can create an original Code Card for your 8479 monster
truck. After downloading the program to your computer, you are ready to code, load,
and go. The six red arrow keys at the bottom of the control panel are the command
buttons for your truck. When you click these keys, you'll highlight some buttons in
the middle row to give you a choice of commands. Click the commands you want the
truck to do, in any order, and this sequence appears in the green panel.

I uploaded the program to Bricksafe.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:32 PM, kancs3118 said:

What is the difference? Price wise, I find that the newer one (lighter weight) is more expensive. Which should I opt for?

By the way, for the flex cable which is broken - I am planning to use glue to connect both ends. What sort of glue ? Super Glue? or those glue used for plastic models?

Both motors function the same - the newer one was just an internal production modification. Pick the one you can find or is cheaper.

You can glue the cable into the end fittings - any ABS plastic cement or superglue will work. I was under the impression you were trying to glue the little broken end onto the inner flex cable (the milky coloured bit). If you are happy to glue, you can use the old one and just glue it into the end fitting if it's only the end that has come off the flex cable. Obviously if the flex cable is broken in the middle somewhere you'll need to replace it.