Sign in to follow this  
pantelis

[Moc] Thermopylae

6 hours ago, deraven said:

Nicely done.  Those SNOT piles of slopes work pretty well as the rock walls!

thank you deraven for your comments to my moc..:sweet:

A nice MOC, and an original way to build rocks... That's a nice rock work but unfortunately it doesn't seem very sturdy.

good job !

Interesting idea. I definitely like the rocks althought I'd like a pathway that's a bit less colorfull as the contrast is too strong and You could also try some more detailed trees.

1 hour ago, Faladrin said:

A nice MOC, and an original way to build rocks... That's a nice rock work but unfortunately it doesn't seem very sturdy.

good job !

Thank you Faladrin for your comments.. Yes thats the true i just tried this technique at the time i was building it.. 

34 minutes ago, jakbar said:

Interesting idea. I definitely like the rocks althought I'd like a pathway that's a bit less colorfull as the contrast is too strong and You could also try some more detailed trees.

Thank you jakbar for your feedback i will try to make some changes that you notice.. 

Nice little scenery, I really like the setup with the helmet shield and spears propped against the rocky walls and the way my eyes were drawn around the entire moc because of the double triangle shape from the front.

From the bushes on the left my eyes glided up over the rockwork to the first two trees in the background, down to the minifigs on the road up again along the rockwork to the second pair of trees to finally drop to the olive tall grass on the right pausing at every little detail looks fantastic but indeed a bit flimsy(in fact I think 99% is not connected at all:grin:)

I read you were just trying this out for the first time so may I suggest trying to connect the piles somewhat here and there on 1 side only(looking at the pictures the backside isn't meant to be a viewpoint so you could start there and just cover up the other sides with SNOT techniques) and maybe add a couple varieties of other slope sizes to make it more interesting to look at, now it's like "Hey! Nice technique!" and then when you take a second look it's kind of all the same(although the anglework is differentiating the fact that you used mostly 1x2x3 slopes aside from a 1x3 slope here and there is very obvious at first sight and so you'll skip to another detail without admiring the entire shape of the mounts which I think is the beautiful part of this approach to rockwork.

The path doesn't bother me that much, especially with the minifigs on it but I think if you replace the two brown 2x2's and put maybe one in between the two grey sections of cobblework like a mudpool it would look completely natural without adding too much to it

My only real problem would be the border, I'm not really a fan of the things in general (although some people have really turned it into an art I believe they look nicer on brickbuilt mozaiques and "paintings" than on scenery MOCs even though I admit it adds stature to smaller vignettes making them 'pop out' more), but when used I feel it should be distinguished from the rest of the MOC

In your case for example by having no studs shown unless meant to as a decoration(ie a pattern made of holed studs or something) and have the same dimensions or at least compatible variations as opposed to eachother which you already have, bvut I notice your border is 1 brick wide at all sides except at the back where 2 black looking (but in fact dark gray) wedges are placed against the border making it look like the border invades the scenery(thinking back maybe that's also what jakbar meant with too much color in the pathway..but my complaint comes from exactly the opposite view, there;'s too little contrast between the rockwork path created by the wedges and the border(in the picture at least)

My two cents on this one: simply placing some black tiles on top of those black slopes should do the trick.

Minor points, overall it's a very intriguing MOC especially regarding its rocky, barren setting it's depicting and aside from 4 minifigs discussing and their gear lying about there's nothing going on..exactly the right amount of life per square stud for my taste :wink:

13 hours ago, Ravelino said:

Nice little scenery, I really like the setup with the helmet shield and spears propped against the rocky walls and the way my eyes were drawn around the entire moc because of the double triangle shape from the front.

From the bushes on the left my eyes glided up over the rockwork to the first two trees in the background, down to the minifigs on the road up again along the rockwork to the second pair of trees to finally drop to the olive tall grass on the right pausing at every little detail looks fantastic but indeed a bit flimsy(in fact I think 99% is not connected at all:grin:)

I read you were just trying this out for the first time so may I suggest trying to connect the piles somewhat here and there on 1 side only(looking at the pictures the backside isn't meant to be a viewpoint so you could start there and just cover up the other sides with SNOT techniques) and maybe add a couple varieties of other slope sizes to make it more interesting to look at, now it's like "Hey! Nice technique!" and then when you take a second look it's kind of all the same(although the anglework is differentiating the fact that you used mostly 1x2x3 slopes aside from a 1x3 slope here and there is very obvious at first sight and so you'll skip to another detail without admiring the entire shape of the mounts which I think is the beautiful part of this approach to rockwork.

The path doesn't bother me that much, especially with the minifigs on it but I think if you replace the two brown 2x2's and put maybe one in between the two grey sections of cobblework like a mudpool it would look completely natural without adding too much to it

My only real problem would be the border, I'm not really a fan of the things in general (although some people have really turned it into an art I believe they look nicer on brickbuilt mozaiques and "paintings" than on scenery MOCs even though I admit it adds stature to smaller vignettes making them 'pop out' more), but when used I feel it should be distinguished from the rest of the MOC

In your case for example by having no studs shown unless meant to as a decoration(ie a pattern made of holed studs or something) and have the same dimensions or at least compatible variations as opposed to eachother which you already have, bvut I notice your border is 1 brick wide at all sides except at the back where 2 black looking (but in fact dark gray) wedges are placed against the border making it look like the border invades the scenery(thinking back maybe that's also what jakbar meant with too much color in the pathway..but my complaint comes from exactly the opposite view, there;'s too little contrast between the rockwork path created by the wedges and the border(in the picture at least)

My two cents on this one: simply placing some black tiles on top of those black slopes should do the trick.

Minor points, overall it's a very intriguing MOC especially regarding its rocky, barren setting it's depicting and aside from 4 minifigs discussing and their gear lying about there's nothing going on..exactly the right amount of life per square stud for my taste :wink:

Τhank you ravellino for your soooo big feedback...i think you have see all thinks that i didnt see when i was making this litle moc.. Your feedback will help me to make some thinks better.... Thanks again for all this... ?