kaelthas

Review of 76099 Rhino Face-Off by the Mine and 76100 Royal Talon Fighter Attack.

How do you rate these two sets?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. On Scale 1-5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding
  2. 2. Which one do you prefer?

• 76099 Rhino Face-Off by the Mine
    • 76100 Royal Talon Fighter Attack
    • Both!

IMG_5832.PNG.ba6c8e6bf95bd20370afb846aca47672.PNG

Hi everyone. It had been a while anyone posted any written review anywhere in the internet. The trend goes to video reviews instead of written ones, but I'm going to continue the effort of making written reviews and hopefully I can get more support as 'You can't save the world alone' quoting Justice League. 

Like my previous post, I am doing this one as a two in one combo.

Don't Freeze. 

I NEVER freeze.

Introduction

The Black Panther himself is T’challa, the king of Wakanda, a mythical African nation that also happens to be the world’s most advanced civilization. He first appeared in Captain America 3: Civil War avenging his father thinking Bucky is responsible for the bombing in the UN causing the death of his father King T'Chaka. In this movie we will know more about Wakanda. 

Let's indulge in these vibranium rich LEGO sets.

Overview

Name: 76099 Rhino Face-Off by the Mine
Year: 2018
Pieces: 229
Minifigures: 3
Price: £19.99 / $19.99 / 24.99€

Team up with Black Panther and Okoye in a Rhino Face-Off by the Mine against masked super villain Killmonger. This LEGO® Marvel Super Heroes set features a posable rhino figure with stud shooters and a rail track with moving mining cart. Tip the mining cart or activate the rail track's explode function to knock over the cart and spill the vibranium. This exciting set includes 3 minifigures.

• Includes 3 minifigures: Black Panther, Okoye and Killmonger.
  • Rhino features a minifigure seat, posable head and legs, rhino horn elements and 2 stud shooters.
  • Mining cart features a tipping function and translucent-blue vibranium nugget elements.
  • Activate the rail track's explode function to knock over the cart.
  • Also includes Okoye's spear.
  • Recreate epic moments from the Marvel Super Heroes Black Panther movie.
  • Rhino measures over 3” (8cm) high, 5” (15cm) long and 2” (6cm) wide.
  • Mining cart measures over 1” (4cm) high, 3” (9cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide.
  • Rail track measures over 1” (3cm) high, 1” (4cm) wide and 7” (18cm) deep.

Name:  76100 Royal Talon Fighter Attack.
Year: 2018
Pieces: 358
Minifigures: 4 
Price: £29.99 / $29.99 / 34.99€

Help Black Panther and Nakia win the ultimate battle against super villain Killmonger and Ulysses Klaue, with this awesome LEGO® Marvel Super Heroes Royal Talon Fighter Attack set. The Royal Talon Fighter features an opening minifigure cockpit, 2 stud shooters and a rear prison compartment to trap a minifigure. The set also includes 4 minifigures with weapons to intensify the role-play conflict.

• Includes 4 minifigures: Black Panther, Nakia, Killmonger and Ulysses Klaue.
  • The ancient mask-shaped Royal Talon Fighter features an opening minifigure cockpit, rear prison compartment to trap a minifigure and 2 stud shooters.
  • Weapons include Nakia's 2 disc blades, Killmonger's flick missile shooter and Ulysses Klaue's ultrasonic robotic hand.
  • Also includes Killmonger's mask element.
  • Recreate epic moments from the Marvel Super Heroes Black Panther movie.
  • Royal Talon Fighter measures over 2” (7cm) high, 8” (21cm) long and 6” (16cm) wide.

The Box

I got my copies from my local TRU and they are packed nicely with the plastic wrap which is very neat. The Royal Talon Fighter is with Wakanda city background and the Rhino scene took place in the vibranium mine. I always love the blue glowy color that represents vibranium. 

At the side of the box, you can see the minifigures are fighting between the good and the bad. (I still reluctant in removing the plastic wrap, they are so nice!)

The Content

Here for 76099 you get one sticker sheet, two instruction booklets and three numbered bags. 

For 76100, you get a thicker book for the fighter, and three numbered bags. I'm very happy that I did not see any stickers here thinking that this set has all the printed parts. I was wrong.

It was hidden at the last page of the book.

The Build

The very elegantly designed Royal Talon Fighter and it looks very Wakandan I would say. This is the result of building bag one, bag two and bag three in 76100. My favorite part of this build is the rear thruster where the base brick is purple in color. It really resembles the scene where it flew in Wakanda, charging through the misty forest as in the trailer. There are 12 side wings in this fighter but unfortunately they are fixed. 

Curves are quite rare in LEGO but the ship looks nicely rounded. At the bottom the trans clear round plate is nicely used as the bottom thruster. I like the combination of technic elements with bricks to have such amazing design of the ship.

The cockpit is quite spacious and the center cockpit is designed for Killmonger but I don't remember he is inside the ship at all. After all the center cockpit is empty, so you can put anyone inside. 

Nakia is piloting the ship. Let's go to the mine and play with the Rhino.

The mine cart is full of vibranium(three trans blue 2x2 plates). I love the trans blue vibranium transport cart so much! The wheels fits perfectly on the railway and the only disappointment is the railway is too short! This cart is built from bag one of 76099.

This Rhino actually reminded me of LEGO Chima. I love the build especially the head. It is built by sandwiching the center bricks with left and right side of the face. Okoye can ride one it and there will still be plenty of space left for other minifigures. The tail is cute, and this is built from bag two and bag three.

War of the beasts! The Rhino is much sturdier than Fenris the skinny wolf.

Little tips I learnt from the Internet.

If you are frustrated in applying stickers, fret no more! This technique allows you to apply the stickers accurately! First you take out the sticker from the sheet, put it at the corner of the sticker sheet, then you can hold the large sticker sheet and apply it at the correct angle. Thanks to a person whom I forgot where he posted this trick in the internet.

This is how it looks like when you paste it at the corner.

The Minifigures

Let's look at the main attractions of these two sets with seven great exclusive minifigures!

Here we have our Wakandan King T'Challa in the Black Panther suit. This suit is quite old fashioned and manually worn. The prints is very detailed and you can see the eyes showing through the helmet. The teeth necklace around the chest are silver printed and very iconic to the character.

In the trailer, the suit is purple, but why is this blue? This suit is enhanced and it is more advanced compared to the first suit and more complex design of the torso and the back. I love the color here but does anyone here agree that purple is nicer?

Killmonger the villain. He got hold of his black panther suit (I wonder where it came from. A spare?). This suit is very nice in gold but looks villainy. The head looks like an alien head if you look closely. They call it the Golden Jaguar suit.

Where are the prints on the earpiece and the legs? But their head and torso prints are amazingly detailed. 

You can appreciate more of their head prints after removing their ears.

Done with the panthers. Now let's look at Okoye, She is the general of the Dora Milaje and the head of Wakanda's armed forces and intel. She is wearing brownish outfit with a belt that has a panther buckle. She is wielding a spear but I would prefer the spear to be chrome in color instead of this old common spear. Don't you think so?

Nakia. She is wearing the red uniform of Dora Milaje, wielding her Ring Blades. You get three rings here, Thanks LEGO! Her uniform is also with a panther buckled belt and she is permitted to keep her hair because she is a spy. Her hair is also unique here in LEGO. She has a smiling face as the alternate expression.

Erik Killmonger in his mercenary outfit and his special mask. Some say the blue outfit look similar to one of the Dragon Ball character. He is holding a blaster, quite uniquely designed. He has only one facial expression despite his mask covering the back of the head. The mask is rubbery and not rigid.

These minifigures are great! Oh wait, I forgot the other villain in the movie. Did you forget him too? Too much Killmonger?

Ulysses Klaue was a black-market arms dealer gangster who wanted to expose Wakanda to the rest of the world, with Klaue stealing a stockpile of Vibranium as a result. During an encounter with Ultron, Klaue sold all of his Vibranium to Ultron before losing his arm during an argument. Here you can see his left arm is equipped with a special weapon which will surprise you in the movie. He has two facial expressions and the white and blue shirt is very accurate to the movie.

This is a new part representing the arm weapon. The hand will hold on the bar like other LEGO weapons.

Where is our beloved Everett Ross? Bag end?

Andy Serkis is a great actor!

Who is the richest of them all?

Conclusion

Both are very nice sets in terms of minifigures and the builds especially the fighter and the Rhino. These two are smaller compared to Thor Ragnarok sets but still a good buy for the exclusive minifigures especially the Black Panthers.

Review Summary
Playability: 6/10 - Both sets are packed with play feature but the pretty low score is due to the features are quite simple.
Design / Building Experience: 9/10 - The design is very iconic to Wakanda. The fighter is amazing and I love the Rhino. Only the vibranium cart is too small but still very nice.

Minifigures:  10/10 - Great minifigures! All the printings and the details are marvelous
Overall: 9/10 - Get these two sets and you are complete for Black Panther. Oh wait, where is the Civil War Black Panther? 

Hope you enjoy the review, do share your thoughts in the comments! 

Thanks kaelthas for pulling and making this combo review for the EB community. It has been a long time since I last read a good review on EB and I am very glad you choose to make them. I have not bought these new sets and your review gave me some good idea on what to expect, especially on the builds. The minifigures comparison and the multi-aspect photos are very nice to look at. 

Good review!

These sets don't totally describe the movie accurately, but understandably so to provide the most play value and variety of figures across only two sets. It's good to get Killmonger in his more differentiated costume despite him not wearing that for much of the movie.

Small correction—the piece used for Klaue's arm cannon in this set (which isn't the best match for the one in the movie) isn't new. The handheld part is from Ultra Agents and the lightning piece is from Nexo Knights.

Good review! For the question about why blue for Black Panther's outfit, I suspect that LEGO wanted to use metallic ink to really capture the glowiness of the outfit. They introduced a new metallic light blue ink last year but I don't think they have any metallic purple ink… maybe that's something they should think about introducing in the future, though!

Another great review! I appreciate how thorough you are with all of your reviews. I'd been holding off on buying either of these sets, but after reading your review I'm inclined to snag the Royal Talon Fighter. Thanks!

On 3/1/2018 at 7:05 PM, WhiteFang said:

Thanks kaelthas for pulling and making this combo review for the EB community. It has been a long time since I last read a good review on EB and I am very glad you choose to make them. I have not bought these new sets and your review gave me some good idea on what to expect, especially on the builds. The minifigures comparison and the multi-aspect photos are very nice to look at. 

Your welcome! Making reviews are the best way of appreciating the LEGO sets! It's quite long since a written review is posted anywhere in the internet. All switched to video reviews but let's continue writing so that the tradition won't stop! Thanks for the compliments! Series 18 is coming.. :wink:

On 3/2/2018 at 12:52 AM, Good Old Dude said:

cool review!

Thanks!

On 3/2/2018 at 3:52 AM, Lyichir said:

Good review!

These sets don't totally describe the movie accurately, but understandably so to provide the most play value and variety of figures across only two sets. It's good to get Killmonger in his more differentiated costume despite him not wearing that for much of the movie.

Small correction—the piece used for Klaue's arm cannon in this set (which isn't the best match for the one in the movie) isn't new. The handheld part is from Ultra Agents and the lightning piece is from Nexo Knights.

I agree that I don't see any scene like these in the movie, but the designs are very similar especially the Royal Talon fighter! Thanks for the corrections! 

On 3/2/2018 at 8:27 AM, Aanchir said:

Good review! For the question about why blue for Black Panther's outfit, I suspect that LEGO wanted to use metallic ink to really capture the glowiness of the outfit. They introduced a new metallic light blue ink last year but I don't think they have any metallic purple ink… maybe that's something they should think about introducing in the future, though!

Thanks for the info! We want PURPLE! We want PURPLE! If LEGO hear this, will we get a purple panther suit in a polybag or something?:grin:

On 3/2/2018 at 9:32 PM, Mac Daddy said:

Another great review! I appreciate how thorough you are with all of your reviews. I'd been holding off on buying either of these sets, but after reading your review I'm inclined to snag the Royal Talon Fighter. Thanks!

Thanks! Snag them all!

14 hours ago, Feijoes said:

Nice

Thanks!

My Civil War Black Panther finally arrived! I love the printings on the earpiece there. How come they are not printed in the new panthers? 

On 3/5/2018 at 1:09 PM, bricks360 said:

Very thorough review and detailed pics.  Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I am hoping I can get enough support for making the Six Infinity Wars Sets Review. Oh ya, I forgot the UCS Hulkbuster, but I still haven't got it..:cry_sad: 

On 3/8/2018 at 10:50 PM, bricks360 said:

I'm excited as my UCS Hulkbuster arrives tomorrow.

Awesome! How was it?

On 3/9/2018 at 1:10 PM, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

Very clever technique to put the stickers on nicely. How tightly does the Erik Killmonger mark stay on the figures head?

Rubberly tight. The clutch power is ok, not loose. That was indeed a great technique I found in the internet. So useful!