OliGunson

LEGO dissertation survey

EDIT: Survey is now closed, thank you for your responses!

Hello,

I am a third year student, currently studying Graphic Communication and Typography at the University of Reading. I was lucky enough to be able to use LEGO in my dissertation topic, and as my research has progressed, I have found it necessary to run a survey. And what better place to open the survey to but LEGO forums?? Below, you will find a link to the dissertation survey, which contains some more information on the type of survey and research, as well as the survey itself. It shouldn't take long for you to complete and I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and responses.

[removed]

(If you are answering on mobile, you will have to turn your screen landscape to see the questions in full)

Many thanks in advance and have a great day,

Oli

P.S. My ethical clearance for this survey only allows for me to collect 100 responses, so if the survey doesn't seem to be working – it may have hit capacity already!

Edited by OliGunson

Hello! There seems to be an issue on page 5 of the survey. When I tick more than one box of a column, as in giving more than one criteria the same adjective, I get an error message. I don't think that's how the survey is intended to work :wink:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! It turns out from question 5 onwards a pesky box was left ticked, preventing people from completing the survey. This has now been fixed and the survey is live and running.

Thanks,

Oli

Done!  Good luck with the survey and your dissertation.

One thought though; the color palette of bricks has changed substantially since the early days.  We've gone from bold primary colors to a more subtle, highly extensive color range (e.g. the humble 1x1 brick now comes in 50+ colors).  It might be interesting to explore the actual distribution of color used in sets through the ages.  You could rank or score the available colors based on perceived gender, grab all the inventories of the sets under consideration (perhaps limiting it to sets within a specific price range through the years), develop a set gender score (some weighted algorithm that calculates the proportion of perceived-masculine colors to perceived-feminine colors) and see how that has drifted through the years.  It'd would be number crunch, but it's easy enough.  

(Disclosure: I'm a data analyst)

Thank you all very much for your responses and insights. I am blown away to have received the required 100 responses after a little over 24 hours - which should really help to speed my presentation along.

As a result the survey is now closed, but I would be happy to share the results and dissertation if people are interested.

Thanks again all and have a lovely weekend,

Oli

33 minutes ago, OliGunson said:

Thank you all very much for your responses and insights. I am blown away to have received the required 100 responses after a little over 24 hours - which should really help to speed my presentation along.

As a result the survey is now closed, but I would be happy to share the results and dissertation if people are interested.

Thanks again all and have a lovely weekend,

Oli

I'm happy to hear that. It would be very interesting indeed to read your results!