Sign in to follow this  
bmassaer

What tracks should I use - grey or blue?

Hello,

So now I would like to set up a "board" with a city-layout and of course, some trains. The board will be about 75cm wide (just enough to make a U-turn) and 1m20 in length. I have three 4.5V trains and one 9V high speed train. I would like to build a bridge also. I'm still doubting what kind of tracks to use...

- The blue ones: I grew up with them, so there's a lot of nostalgia. But the don't seem to fix well on the white plates (right now I have them on an uneven wooden floor, though) so especially the faster trains derail on them. And they are not really realistic...

- The grey ones from the 12V trains: these are more realistic and have a better fix, as they can be nailed on the board. But they intend to break easily, and they are a bit more expensive - most important the switches are not cheap? Less nostalgia, but the faster trains run better on them.

- The new grey tracks from the 9V trains: too expensive, and too shiny. But the trains do not derail as much?

I know this is a very personal choice, but do you have any suggestions on what rails to use? Some photo's from people who use the blue tracks?

Thank you so much!

Bart 

Hi Bart,

it mainly dependends on where you want to go with your layout. If you'd like to reasamble a nostalgic layout, then go with the blue ones or the gray ones (I prefer the gray ones). If you'd like to build a more realistic layout stick to the 9V metal rails, since they best reasamble a real track.

But keep in mind that the points/switches of the 9V area need alot more space and 75cm x 120cm will not be enough to build a interesting layout. Therefore the old 12V gray area is maybe a better choice.

For my layout, I used the new PF tracks with modified switches:

BR,

Guenther

I love the grey era because the color is more realistic and it double the sleeper.

In any case you can use the blue rails as sometimes I do

4volt-040.jpg

4volt-037.jpg

4volt-001.jpg

4volt-042.jpg

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts