sed6

Classic Town Lego pile comes back to life

I've just dug out my box of town lego from when I was a kid in the 70's. I suspect I have a dozen or so sets hiding in there. I have several sets of instructions that also survived the last 40 years. The lost instructions and lost bricks I can print online or buy from Bricklink. My plan is to build until they are all gone!

2017-12-15_05-02-43

First up is the Public Works Center from 1981, set 6383. It was easy to discern in the pile because of the crane bucket and tracks so I started with it. 

2017-12-15_05-08-14

While I'm the main kid playing with these my granddaughters and nephews also get to enjoy them. 

2017-12-15_09-18-37

I started on my town pile right after I finished up my classic space pile. From it I was able to rescue 33 sets! Here's a link if interested. 

Up next is the Tow Truck from 1980, set 6679. The blue Exxon doors and tow hook made it easy to pick out of the pile. There are several substituted colors in there which I'll replace off BL soon. 

2017-12-15_05-08-05

This next one has me stumped! Steam Shovel with Carrier, set 730 from 1973. I was born in '73, why do I have a Lego set from the year I was born? My father has passed so I can't ask him. I asked my uncle and he's never seen it. Did my dad buy a Lego toy for his newborn son or did he buy it for his then 29 year old self? I may never know...

2017-12-15_05-06-41

I followed your Classic Space thread and this one will be just as good! Are you going to be making the little name placards for these sets as well? Maybe on green or blue ties? 

Now here's some progress! Five sets all bagged up, waiting on BL parts to finish them up. They include;

Police Headquarters, set 588, 1979

Exxon Fuel Pumper, set 554, 1979

Exxon Gas Station, set 6375, 1980

Fire Station, set 6382, 1981

Main Street, set 6390, 1981

They're not shown but I also have the baseplates for all these as well :)

2017-12-15_05-06-57

Edited by sed6

20 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

I followed your Classic Space thread and this one will be just as good! Are you going to be making the little name placards for these sets as well? Maybe on green or blue ties? 

Thanks! I will. Look closely at the Public Works pic, it's there already. I might stick with gray tiles as they blend in well with the gray baseplates and don't scream look at me. 

29 minutes ago, sed6 said:

Thanks! I will. Look closely at the Public Works pic, it's there already. I might stick with gray tiles as they blend in well with the gray baseplates and don't scream look at me. 

You're right it does blend so well I missed it! haha great topic!

Fantastic!  This will be another trip down memory lane just like the classic space thread.  Already bringing back fond memories... and you're getting to create new memories with the grandkids as well!  :sweet:

Got a few more done this weekend. 

The Motorcycle Shop, set 6373 from 1984. Somehow the motorcycle STAMP (sticker) survived in great shape, not even a crease down the center. Unfortunately all the bikes are missing. But all the stickered windows are in great shape too!

2017-12-17_07-24-48

Also easy to spot are the hulls for the Fire Fighter Ship, set 775 from 1978. I'm missing one center hull, another is cracked, but the bow stern and one center section are in great shape!

2017-12-17_07-24-34

I didn't have the instructions for most of these so I printed them online. The site I prefer for instructions, including online instructions and downloadable pdf's is toysperiod.

https://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-reference/