Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Gratian

[COR - Gunboats for the Colonies] Gun sloop No. 1 - Class 2

As one of his first assignments on arriving at King's Harbour, Lawliet Lavendwood has been responsible for overseeing the launch of a gun sloop as part of the Crown's increased efforts to defend her colonies. After a few weeks the work is finally done.

43701677220_718f603030_b.jpg

44604598995_7f6509c7ab_c.jpg

The gun sloop is armed with a 24-pound gun at the bow that is enough to pierce through even lower rating ships-of-the-line, and a 100-pound mortar at the aft for additional firepower.

43701677540_db03e7768c_z.jpg

44793044784_b6dd6e0379_z.jpg

Commanded by a Royal Navy boatswain and an experienced crew manning the guns and oars, giving her excellent mobility in all weathers, she is more than capable of defending Corlander harbours.

44793044234_66b02b9418_c.jpg

43701677090_e4fd04f865_o.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

So I also decided to participate in the gunboat project. I really must say, it's an excellent initiative @Bregir! The idea of gunboats had never occured to me but my imagination went off immediately when you released it.

I havn't solved the rendering issue yet (although I'm not sure it would have mattered in this instance), so you don't have to yell at me again, I'm aware. :wink: [Edit: Obviously, I got around to it eventually]

The only thing I'm not that happy with is how to integrate the keel with the rest of the bow, suggestions are appreciated! If you don't have any criticism or ideas for improvement, Bregir, she's ready to be licenced by the Crown! My recommended stats are:

R: 1
M: 6
G: 3
C: 2
$: 0
H: 0

Edited by Flavius Gratian

That is an really sleek gunboat and I really like that she also has a mast! Hinges ftw!! The only tiny flaw that this technique has, is that the bow has a small gap where the sides are connected but I can't think of a better way to cover it atm. Plus she is such a beauty that I really don't mind this at all!

P.S: I also love the mortar!!!!

This a very nicely made gun boat! I like the overall layout with the mortar and cannon locations. You did a good job with making the bow and stern. Having a mast is a nice feature too. 

To Lieutenant Lavendwood,

I have with great interest noted your zeal in getting Gun Sloop No. 1 launched and ready for service, and must say that your performance has been exemplary.

However, leading a crew and a vessel is an entirely different kettle of fish to making them complete a clearly defined task. Looking through your service record, I have found examples of several daring boat raids and engagements, yet no mention of longer individual assignments.

Hence, I hereby provisionally designate Gun Sloop No. 1 as a sloop of the Royal Navy and require and request that you take command. Your task is to work up the crew to a high standard of gunnery and seamanship, and ensure a high state of readiness. The settlement will supply you with all the gunpowder you can use, and you may call upon the other gunboat in King's Harbour for exercises in more advanced tactics. She too will answer to your orders, and must be drilled similarly.

This is your chance to prove yourself ready and able as captain with your own crew. I trust you shall not waste it.

I congratulate you on your first independent command,

Captain Jno. Cooke, HMS Ironsides, RN

Colonial Governor, The Southern Isles

She is a beauty, Flavius. Love the simple, yet elegant shaping of her hull, and the 'outrigger plate' for the oars is a great detail. Overall, her whole arrangement of the oars is very nicely done,  and I like that you have included a (very well made) mortar too. The lateen rig is very fitting and it's simple nature goes well with the concept of gun boats. The large flag should probably be blowing the other way, though, as they are probably not going with the wind? At least they could then either use the sails, or get better practice rowing against the wind... ;)

I would like to see this and the other one rendered once you figure that out, but I think you have both a nice build, a nice presentation, and a good story and description to go with it. Ticks all the boxes on my checklist!

I am a Dane myself, so the gunboat wars of the napoleonic Era is a natural interest for me. Happy to see it can inspire!

(BTW, the orders above are only as permanent as you want them to be, but regardless of your further plans, I figured we might as well use the Lieutenant while we can! ;) Let me know if you want them changed at some point.)

"King's Harbour 14th Dec 617 AE

Sir,

I have recieved your orders and thank you for your confidence! You can rest assured that
 King's Harbour will soon be protected by the best drilled gunboat crews in Nova Terra.
 I will not disappoint you!

Very respectful,
 Captain Jonathan Cooke, HMS Ironsides, RN                               Lieutenant Lavendwood
 Colonial Governor, The Southern Isles"

Lawliet was disappointed, it was no use denying it. When he transfered to the Colonies he had expected a command of his own with short delay, however, it had takens months. Now when he finally recieve one, it was two gunboats. Granted, he had overseen the launching of one of them, while waiting, but that is a command normally given to non-commissioned officers. Was this a test of some sort? Regardless, he would commit to this duty with the same vigor as always. His superiors would see nothing less from him than excellence.

19 hours ago, Bregir said:

(BTW, the orders above are only as permanent as you want them to be, but regardless of your further plans, I figured we might as well use the Lieutenant while we can! ;) Let me know if you want them changed at some point.)

It's actually a pretty good idea, since I havn't been very active with him until now. I have (finally!) ordered the parts for the ship I intend for Lawliet's command, and most have arrived so hopefully I will have the ship ready by the end of the month. I'll contact you about at that time. (As said, OOC I don't have a problem at all with your orders, it's just that IC Lawliet has some streaks of a praise junky)

She is a beauty, Flavius. Love the simple, yet elegant shaping of her hull, and the 'outrigger plate' for the oars is a great detail. Overall, her whole arrangement of the oars is very nicely done,  and I like that you have included a (very well made) mortar too.

Thank you very much! The mortar took some thinking, but when I figred it out it was surprisingly simple. The only downside is that I'm not sure if that top round plate actually is availible IRL.

The large flag should probably be blowing the other way, though

Yes, you're right! :grin: I thought about itwhile building but, for some reason I decided to leave it.

On 2017-12-11 at 12:28 AM, blackdeathgr said:

That is an really sleek gunboat and I really like that she also has a mast! Hinges ftw!! The only tiny flaw that this technique has, is that the bow has a small gap where the sides are connected but I can't think of a better way to cover it atm. Plus she is such a beauty that I really don't mind this at all!

P.S: I also love the mortar!!!!

Thank you! About the gaps, I spent quite some time trying to solve it to no avail. I guess that's just a drawback of LDD, it would probably have been easier with real bricks! 

P.S. I'm particularly pround of the mortar, because it's so simple. Glad you appreciate it!

On 2017-12-11 at 9:46 AM, Dukesc said:

This a very nicely made gun boat! I like the overall layout with the mortar and cannon locations. You did a good job with making the bow and stern. Having a mast is a nice feature too. 

Thanks very much! Concerning the bow, it's the gaps blackdeathgr mentioned, but I think the overall design makes up for it