Sign in to follow this  
storms26

Reading T-1 #2101, The Chessie Steam Special

As my first IRL creation being shared on this site, I wanted it to be my best. As far as I can remember, I've loved this engine as well as its roster all my life. It ran in my state, showed up in my favorite railroading VCR series, and had a great design as well as a great story. A couple years back, I found out where the engine was located, so we flew to Baltimore to visit it. Upon seeing it, I quickly realized how poor it has been taken care of and how bad of a condition it is in. Ever since, I've wanted to make a Lego model of it that was actually decent. I've made countless models in the past, but they were always so blocky and small. Finally, I feel like what I've made is sufficient enough to be worthy of posting. 

Some info about the real engine: Reading 2101 is a 4-8-4 "Northern" type steam locomotive constructed in 1945 for use by the Reading Company as a member of the T1 class. Constructed from an earlier 2-8-0 locomotive built in 1923, the 2101 handled heavy coal train traffic for the Reading until being retired in 1959. Withheld from scrapping, the 2101 served as emergency backup power for the three other T1 locomotives serving the Reading's "Iron Horse Rambler" excursions until being sold for scrap in 1964. In 1975, the locomotive was restored to operation from scrapyard condition in an emergency 30-day overhaul after being selected to pull the first eastern portion of the American Freedom Train. When the bicentennial excursions were finished, the engine was used to pull the Chessie Steam Special in honor of the anniversary of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. However, after being involved in a roundhouse fire in 1979, the 2101 was traded to the B&O Railroad Museum in exchange for the Chesapeake & Ohio 614. Today the locomotive remains on display in its American Freedom Train paint scheme.

From the front:

37002722684_5ff491dae7.jpg

I'm not too happy with the way the lower side of the boiler curves but I'm okay with it. I already know the color of the engine should be dark blue instead of black, but I have only a couple pieces in that color, and it looks good either way. I wish I could do better with the headlight, but I tried so many options that didn't work. The wheel set for the engine is based off of Tony Sava's GS-4, but it's modified to an extent. The model is to scale with the Daylight and it's passenger cars, so I won't have to worry about it looking out of place.

From the rear:

37680263642_45f3a95ea0.jpg

I tried many alternatives for the cab windows, depending on the parts I had. This was the best option by far, albeit looking goofy. I didn't want to do any extreme detailing on the top of the engine, but I did the essential shapes. 

The tender from the front:

37687756812_bed55085d6.jpg

I tried to get some subtle detailing in, like coal and the rails, but I didn't want to be extreme. The top of the front just barely clears the roof of the engine's cab, so it will be fine going around my R104's. I tried my best with the curve with the yellow, but this was the best I could get.

The tender from the rear:

37687753442_157df4b384.jpg

Tried to get the white part at the bottom of the ladders to look at least a little bit proper, I personally don't think it looks bad, but it doesn't look too great either. 

The two together: 

37010267814_4986ecf4c1.jpg

23866632188_ed1d6e1fbf.jpg

It looks 10x better in person than in pictures. I think that it is going to be a showpiece on my layout, for sure.

Overall, I'm EXTREMELY happy with what I've gotten done so far. There's much to do still, but I'm open for suggestions. Thanks!

Edited by storms26
Updated with tender pictures and commentary.

4 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Beautiful locomotive ...and great first MOC here from you! :wub:

This steam locomotive can participate to the contest Octrainber ...hurry up with the tender! :wink:

Tender already finished as of now! (Pictures posted, too.) I'll try to submit ASAP.