Jim

[MOD] 42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck - Mods and Improvements

Hey Guys,  Building this now and was wondering if anyone including Jim has any updates to this.  Tested with two motors by taking the engine out of installing in front.  Huge difference in off-road power.  Just started to rebuild the whole chassis like Jim did.  It's going to be a little difficult because some parts are hard to see what is going on inside the chassis with the gears.  Anyone got added pictures?  Thanks.

I don’t have any updates, sorry. Broke down the chassis, because it was just taking up space. Have been working on Mindstorms projects lately.

That is going to make it a little more difficult to try and and finish but I'll give it a go and report back with pictures if I do.  Thanks Jim.

Just give it a go. You will enjoy it, and learn a lot.

New to the forum, just picked up this kit after not having touched one in 20 or so years. 

I'm looking to do full RC and am stuck between an Sbrick or BuWizz. Getting hung up on how to do 6ch control with only 4 channels. 

Does anyone have any advice on potential solutions or if there is something out there better than an Sbrick or BuWizz?

I guess you have several options. Keeping the original settings with 2 motors, and adding servos for motorising the gearbox switchs. I think someone made it in the past but unfortunately, the ldd file vanished from Lego's site. You could also try to add one motor per functions by using 2 buwizz or using one buwizz with 2 sbrick or 2 of receiver but you may have to switch between different controllers. Or keep some functions manual like the outriggers. Using only one buwizz I would try the first option.

I did some research on both the sbrick and buwizz.  I own the buwizz as it’s far better in my opinion. Huge limitation with the stock battery pack as there is current limiting built in from LEGO.  So even if you sbrick it for ir you will get slightly improved performance you are still limited on the LEGO battery.  The buwizz is all in one both ir and a battery.  I power 5 motors with it and the app works great.  The performance is impressive.  If you are using a single xl motor you find the limitation of it pretty quick from this model.  

On 8/16/2017 at 5:10 AM, jojotakeda said:

Hello, I've been following this fantastic forum for a long time, learned so much from everyone. This is my first Post.

Since I couldn't find a MOD that simply modify 42070 into FULL RC. I decided to do it myself.

here is a very brief video showing it in action.

42070 full rc mod

and I've also made a LDD file. Please go to http://ldd.us.lego.com/en-us/gallery, search "42070". "FULL RC MOD FOR 42070" is the one to download.

Simply import the file into the original 42070 LDD file which you can also download off that website. you will see the overlapping parts and/or additional parts.

I mainly focus on making the set more stable, more firm. and making it FULL RC with minimum replacements.

Looks like Jim is working on something that would totally buff up 42070, cant wait to see it :-D

42070 would be an solid set if it was made Full RC out of box, for its price. I got mine for only $250 CAD. which is a fair price for what it is.

Hi all,
I also purchased the 42070 Truck. The last day´s I powered them up with a Buwizz. Now I would to a bigger upgrade and the idea from jojotakeda looks perfect to me. Please can somebody share his old LDD file again? I`m not sure but should I use two servo motors to motorized the gearbox? Have you an idea how to attach the motors? Thanks in advance.
Have a nice week.

On 12/13/2017 at 4:09 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'd like to present my mod for synchronized outriggers

I and several others have seen that the side triggers touch the ground before the rear ones, which results in some annoying creaking of the inner clutches. The gear ratios and speeds are the same for all mini LAs, so the problem lies in the geometry of the outrigger connections. So I've experimented around with different setups, with the requirement that the MOD must be as easy to be implemented as possible. The solution I found isnt ideal, as the LAs arent perfectly synced and there is still one short creak, but that's the best among what I've found.

This MOD only needs 2 9L beams that push the outriggers out, instead if the black 7L beams dictated in the instruction. The connection hole is moved 2 stud lower, and the outriggers are almost perfectly synced!

@Maaboo35

20181027_224049

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

my solution didn't work, so I deleted my idea.

Edited by johnnie
it didn't work

2 hours ago, johnnie said:

I would have send pictures but I can't post them (what is the max. kB for posting)?

We don't host pictures on EB. It's common to use Bricksafe (Free) or Flickr to host your images and then use the link in your post. You can link/embed a max width of 1024 pixels.

On 5/25/2018 at 5:46 PM, TBX said:

Hi!

I think I found a way to fix the outtriggers. They now run nicely sychronized with perfect ground clearance.
I also put in a cargo area and a parking position for the (slightly modified) crane.

https://youtu.be/tMQPsqJXibE

Edit:
Here are 2 renders and the lxf file:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/137C9oBwjCSwnm5Fiv_O1EgI3HkrUjcUV

Hi Tbx, thanks you for the outtriggers upgrade.

One question: Is it possible to implement this modification on the model already built, or only in the construction phase of the truck?

3 minutes ago, Variteck said:

Hi Tbx, thanks you for the outtriggers upgrade.

One question: Is it possible to implement this modification on the model already built, or only in the construction phase of the truck?

It is, as I developed it in an already built model.