Sign in to follow this  
MiniGreavy

Looking for a good Star Wars Book

Hi,

I'd love to read a good (!) Star Wars Book again. I've already read the X-Wing novels (my favourite Star Wars books yet), I Jedi and the Thrawn-trilogy from Timothy Zahn. Unfortunately I can't get the Hand-of-Thrawn-trilogy (as long I'm not willing to pay the ebay-prices).

Thanks for your tips!

The Republic Commando novels (Hard Contact, Triple Zero, True Colors) are most excellent. If you enjoyed the military, character heavy, Jedi-less stories of the X-Wing novels, you'll love these.

I'd also recommend anything in the new Legacy of the Force series and the Medstar Duology (Battle Surgeons, Jedi Healer). Legacy of Evil and Dark Lord are also good reads. If you're in for the long haul, try the New Jedi Order series...it's long, but worth it ;-)

I found the Republic Commando novels a drag, sorry.

For a standalone book, try Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, Outbound Flight, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader or Darh Maul: Shadow Hunter.

For a series, well there's the Hand of Thrawn trilogy. I picked up the Han Solo trilogy fairly cheap off eBay last year. I personally loved the New Jedi Order series, but you need to commit to that. It's got some great stuff, especially where Luke, Kyp and Jacen are concerned. It's just let down by Han Solo, who I really (spoiler) wished they'd killed off in the final book. Plus the series sets us up for the Legacy of the Force series, which is fanstastic. I mean DARTH CAEDUS!

The New Jedi Order is the best there is, IMO, but to really enjoy it, I think you need a fairly good background knowledge of the earlier EU events, as it draws on everything that's happened in the 25 years before it (Rogue Planet, the X-wing serie, Dark and Crimson Empire comic series, Jedi Academy serie, the Corellian trilogy, the Junior and Young Jedi Knights series and so on). It isn't really necessary, but it does give it a whole new depth and feel of authenticity...

The X-Wing books by Michael Stackpole were the absolute BEST.

I had the honour of meeting him when I was in the US for the Origins festival in 2006 (I'm on the right, and yes I've got a Coke Belly :-D :-D :-D )

Origins_2006_281.JPG

I'm currently reading Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry which is quite cool.

Dr. S.

Thanks for your tips.

I read the first three books of the New Jedi Order, but I'm not too keen on them. Maybe it's because I don't have much knowledge of the expanded universe.

The Legacy of the force series is not unfortunately not translated til now (I've already read some books in English, but everytime I do it seems like work to me: studying a foreign language instead of enjoyment of a good novel ;-) ), but I'm looking forward to it.

I found a nice book about Mace Windu or maybe I head for one of the standalone books, that you suggested.

@Doctor Sinister: I absolutely agree with you, the X-Wing novels are by far the best Star Wars books I ever read. "Coke Belly" is a funny expression to me; we call it "Beer Belly" (translated for sure). Seems like you're coming from the USA and I'm from Germany; the differences of two cultures :-D :-D :-D

Edited by MiniGreavy

@Doctor Sinister: I absolutely agree with you, the X-Wing novels are by far the best Star Wars books I ever read. "Coke Belly" is a funny expression to me; we call it "Beer Belly" (translated for sure). Seems like you're coming from the USA and I'm from Germany; the differences of two cultures :-P

No, it's also called a beer belly here, but I don't drink (at all, don't really see the point), so I renamed it. :-D

Oh, and I'm in the UK.

Dr. S.

Edited by Doctor Sinister

I'd love to read a good (!) Star Wars Book again. I've already read the X-Wing novels (my favourite Star Wars books yet), I Jedi and the Thrawn-trilogy from Timothy Zahn. Unfortunately I can't get the Hand-of-Thrawn-trilogy (as long I'm not willing to pay the ebay-prices).

Actually, there's only two books in the Hand of Thrawn storyline, I believe. I read the entire Zahn series some time ago and remember there being only 5. ;-)

Hm, I dunno what to suggest really. I remember reading a series years ago about Han Solo's kids at the Jedi Academy. Even though they were meant less for adults and more for teens, they still were good, and I remember them being fairly long each. Can't remember the title though.... 8-|

New Jedi Order: Prior to reading it, I'd only read Rogue Planet and DM: SH. I was a newbie to SW novels. I ploughed through the whole NJO in a matter of weeks. I was captivated. That I knew hardly anything of the EU mattered not.

Mace Windu novel: That'll be Shatterpoint. The premise was great. The end product wasn't particualrly good as I recall. I'd love another MW book.

Death Star: fantastic build-up... to nothing. I loved that book until I finished it, whereupon I declared "was that it?" Such potential wasted on a poor ending.

No, it's also called a beer belly here, but I don't drink (at all, don't really see the point), so I renamed it. :-D

Oh, and I'm in the UK.

Dr. S.

Oh, I'm sorry. It sounds too funny to me (maybe I was guided by some prejudices :-D ).

Actually, there's only two books in the Hand of Thrawn storyline, I believe. I read the entire Zahn series some time ago and remember there being only 5. ;-)

Yeah, it's absolutely correct what you say, there are only 5 novels in English. But some German publishers love to split books in two to get more money from poor customers. So in Germany, there are two trilogies. By the way, I noticed this damn practice at (is this the right preposition? That's one of the most difficult points in the English language to guess the right preposition :-/ ) other books, too. For example Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin. Or Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. Every time a new book is released, we have to buy two. What a shame!

Edited by MiniGreavy

i'm reading outbound flight at the moment, that has thrawn in it, and i'm enjoying it.

Death Star: fantastic build-up... to nothing. I loved that book until I finished it, whereupon I declared "was that it?" Such potential wasted on a poor ending.

to be fair you already knew what the ending would be :p

Unfortunately I can't get the Hand-of-Thrawn-trilogy (as long I'm not willing to pay the ebay-prices).

If you want to cut down of the price of books and are willing to take second hand condition then may I suggest taking a look at http://gb.bookbutler.com/ type in the name or the ISBN and it searches the online bookshops including the resale market. You can normally get any book for a reasonable price, as long as you