Lyonel McBaseplate

Greetings from the Sheng Yuan Certified Store!

Hello, dearest people of Europe and other parts of the Universe. You can call me Lyonel. Tall, glasses, quite colorblind, learning English by myself, and other things that are irrelevant to our subject matter.

Well, I'm not too good at starting things. I'd rather listen (or read) others patiently and jump in when the time is right. So let's do something similar here for a change...

You ask me some simple questions about me and my plastic construction toy preferences, and I will do my best to answer in short and truthful fashion.

Please consider that I'm what could be called a Teen Fan of LEGO, whose most recent dark period was from 2015 to March of the current year (and I would still get CMFs in that time). Also, I am from Venezuela, as my profile states, and we as a country are economically limited as for buying expensive Danish ABS on a regular basis. The major part of my collection is from round 2012, and a large number of it are CMFs. My latest purchase was a Series 12 in July of past year.

To get my topic's rather scandalous title out of the way, it alludes to the fact that the near entirety of construction toy products round my home are those infamous clone brands, of which the one with an S as logo we seem to get the most.

So, to avoid getting tediously long, I'll leave the rest of my background to your requests.

So come on! Bring on the friendly interrogation! :classic:

Welcome.

I'm actually kinda curious about SY.  Been buying those knocokff brands of late, so far only Star Diamond is just about Lego quality.  How's SY compare?

11 hours ago, Space Police XVIII said:

Welcome.

I'm actually kinda curious about SY.  Been buying those knocokff brands of late, so far only Star Diamond is just about Lego quality.  How's SY compare?

Hello.

Honestly, I do not know, at least not by touch. I have seen lots of the S brand (not sure if Sheng Yuan, but quite probable) round here, and they look good enough (maybe a bit too glossy, and there's also the fact that they make bigfigs like 1/3 their actual size. And they made MEGA's Minions and Character's Peppa Pig into minifigs somehow :wacko:).

But as common knowledge states, looks can deceive. I recommend always being wary of the clones' quality. I might eventually get one of those individual figures (if my 4yo brother doesn't get one first), so I'll be sure to report properly when that happens. Don't worry, I'll keep them as away as possible from the pure minds of my genuine ABS :snicker:.

You people are great! Let's keep it coming!

I would like being asked about preferences. Like, the themes and parts I like, etc. Anybody up for that?

OK, now I'll stop being mysterious and tell you my preferences:

My favourite color (generally) is green, but I think all colours are nice for their own reasons. In LEGO colours, I have always found Bright Red to be very pretty.

I haven't considered a single favourite part, but you can look at my profile picture for the ones I have in good amounts and consider important and useful for me (minus my sigfig, of which I have none of its parts :sad:).

I think Ninjago is an awesome theme for many reasons. I have followed it since it appeared in LEGO.com in 2011, and I proudly watched Seasons 1-2 when they aired. I already saw Season 7 and plan on filling the gap eventually (Ninjago is on Disney XD here, and Cartoon Network got me during all these years. I didn't even know Nya was a Ninja until now!). I'm not fighting anyone over who's the best Ninja (because we all know Zane has earned it).

I have a really long wishlist, but the priority now probably is getting any of the Ninjago Movie sets (again, Venezuelan here. That's going to be very hard...). I found LEGO Games a fascinating concept, so I would like to get one of those someday.

Also Star Wars. I'm a fan since my dad made us watch the whole thing before TFA. LEGO Star Wars is an expensive bottomless pit I want to jump in :vader:.

Recently I've been working with the LDraw System of Tools, mainly as a way to document MOCs. I start the models in Stud.io, retouch them in MLCad, and make instructions in LPub to share them someday.

Aaaand that's all I can think of by now. Anything else you want to know?

Hello again!

I just wanted to tell you my birthday is next Monday! Of course, finding a gift was complicated, because I simply couldn't decide which used set on sale online I wanted! There were many interesting ones, and there was a 7467 (International Space Station, 2003) I really liked, since I'm desperate for Space-ish parts. There also was a box of really old parts (Minitalia!) in a wooden box in Danish! That one was expensive.

Anyway, my mum wants me to actually "use" what I get, so they got me Ramses Pyramid. It's not Space-ish, but hey! I'm finally getting a LEGO Board Game! Also my first baseplate, my first microfigs, many firsts here!

I want to review it when it arrives. Any tips for that?