Sign in to follow this  
Double_D

First post, first question (painting LEGO)

Hi guys noob here to Lego,  I've wanted the Porsche forever (slight exaggeration) but could never commit to buying it, now after an unexpected bonus I have extra funds burning a hole in my pocket... While looking at groups on Facebook there was talk of the copyright clones. Wouldn't touch any fake brand with a bargepole but curiosity made me look at them. Seeing the white version made me want to do similar with the genuine pieces. How well does Lego take to paint?  I'm a panel beater so painting is nothing new but I haven't painted Lego pieces before. I know certain solvent paints will react with certain plastics and i don't want to end up with a plastic mess. Having a quick look through old posts acrylic seems the best but what about preparation? Sanding would be the first to do but what about primers? In work I'd use a standard plastic primer but again I'm not sure with Lego. Any help or advice would be great.

I think this is the best place to ask but if not please move it.

Hi Double_D, and welcome to Eurobricks and the Minifig Customisation Workshop.

Though I cannot help you with your question, as I never painted LEGO parts myself, I thought I could be of use by slightly editing your topic title to make it more clear right from the start what your question concerns.

I'm sure some of our members will be able to answer your questions, and I wish you good luck with your project.

Sounds like you want to paint many parts and big parts. Did I get that right? Then spraypainting might be the best option. 

Edited by Wardancer

I'd personally suggest using no primer then using acrylic with an airbrush (since it is a large quantity of parts) but at the end using a matte clear coat.

Though I have never tried painting any LEGO, I think you might want to try using an airbrush. Using a regular brush will leave marks and texture on the pieces, giving them a look that I personally hate to see on bricks and minifigures. For a more smooth finish you should always use an airbrush. 

If you don't have one, you can just buy a 20 bucks airbrush from Ebay. I use them regularly on other models I paint and they're pretty neat. Then you'll need an air compressor, preferably with air tank attached to keep the air flow constant. 

Spray paint works fine on technic panels and so on, and I've never had a problem with new and clean parts. It doesn't dry so well if the parts are dirty or greasy.

But I'd question why you'd do it to expensive parts. I'd go down the route of knock-off if you are just going to destroy the genuine parts anyway. Maybe build the set using genuine lego and use knock-offs for the panels.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Spray paint works fine on technic panels and so on, and I've never had a problem with new and clean parts. It doesn't dry so well if the parts are dirty or greasy.

If the piece seems greasy, wiping it with cleaning alcohol should help.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

But I'd question why you'd do it to expensive parts. I'd go down the route of knock-off if you are just going to destroy the genuine parts anyway. Maybe build the set using genuine lego and use knock-offs for the panels.

This. Knock-offs are cheaper and if you're just using a few fake bricks they won't ruin your build.