7 members have voted

1. 1. On scale 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_17796.png.0b82c8bae0c9c1cb2f4c5e26ac22ce1c.png

Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum. I bought it after I watched the movie. Still I don't get to know who was supposed to be the tentacles. :grin: Dormamu maybe? Its a portal beast according to LEGO. (How many universe are there in this multiverse?)

Overview

Name: 76060 - Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum
Theme: LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Year: 2016 
Pieces: 358 pieces
Minifigures: 3
Price: USD 29.99 / MYR 129.90 

Stage a mysterious battle at Doctor Strange’s Sanctum Sanctorum, featuring a portal beast with moving tentacles, eyes and teeth. Use the levitating function levers to hover the Super Heroes around the house. Attach the cape of levitation to Doctor Strange and fly him towards the portal beast to use the mystical artifacts in battle. Trap a minifigure in the tentacles and stage a heroic rescue. Includes 3 minifigures.

• Includes 3 minifigures: Doctor Strange, Karl Mordo and The Ancient One.
  • Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum features a portal beast with rotating teeth, moving eyes and tentacles that can trap minifigures, shelves for mystical artifact accessories, levitation effect for 2 minifigures, and levitation function for Doctor Strange's cloak.
  • Weapons include Karl Mordo's quarterstaff and The Ancient One's magical fans with eldritch calligraphy.
  • Accessory elements include Doctor Strange's cloak of levitation and magical power elements with eldritch calligraphy markings.
  • This set offers an age-appropriate building experience for ages 7-14.
  • Sanctum Sanctorum measures over 4” (11cm) high, 12” (31cm) wide and 7” (18cm) deep.

Introduction

After watching the movie, I feel like getting Benedict Cumberbatch into my LEGO room. Hence this set. The only set that features the great new Sorcerer Supreme(Top Bargainer.) to protect the Earth. 3 main characters are here, all in a medium sized set. I would want Kaecillius and maybe Wong or Christine dressed as an ER surgeon to spice up the set. As you can see in the front box art, its kind of combining most of the scene in the movie into this set. For instance the library with books, the table that Wong listened to Beyonce, the Sanctum, the portal, and the levitation Cloak hanger might indicate that this is the London Sanctum which Dr Strange got his relic. 

Lets get started.

33835760632_050a908fb5_b.jpg

The front box art. Pretty straight forward display set.

33951970186_c22e51b5d1_b.jpg

The back. Showing the play features.

33149189144_83af75e03a_b.jpg

The usual 1:1 box art featuring Dr Strange.

The Instruction Booklets.

IMG_0825

There are 2 booklets which you can see in most of the sets, and there is a Benedict Cumberbatch photo at the top right corner of both books.

IMG_0826

This is the first page of book 1, showing what bag 1 gives you after building. I actually prefer this kind of booklet as you can turn the previous pages to the back without hurting the binding part of the book.

IMG_0828

At the end you can see the play features of the set and the parts list.

The Minifigures.

IMG_0183

For these I like the printed inscription(Sanskrit maybe?) on Dr. Strange and The ancient one's accessories. Plus they are trans pieces!

IMG_0182

The back printings and the alternate faces except for her.

IMG_0181

The printings are so detailed. I can see the Eye of Agamotto.

As you can see the piece that Dr Strange holding was quite new trans pieces and you got 3 of them in the set. Spiderman uses this too but those were white.

The Build

The build consist of three parts, the furnitures, the wall, and the portal beast rotating mechanism.

Lets have a look.

33974710655_322ae850e1_b.jpg

There are 2 cupboards and a table for the furnitures of the room. Table was simple, but the cupboards books are built by stacking colourful tiles and plates vertically which looks like they are standing in the rack. (The skull was replaced by Sauron's eye by me.)

33589593630_c708f06255_b.jpg

Part 2 of the build was the sanctum windows with the wall, and the maps plus books scattered on the floor. The levitating stick was held by a clip attached to the wall. However you need to have something or 'someone' equal weight at the other side of the wall to balance the levitator. The window was a perfect circle formed by arch and inverted arches which was very nice. The ninjago blades was so accurately placed behind the window to look the same with the one in the movie.

33933379496_3b533bc7f2_b.jpg

This part is where the box placed. I've moved it one stud in front to allow the lid to be opened showing 2 gold keys and a red diamond. The handle above was meant for the levitation robe to be hung on. Otherwise was basic bricks for tan colored wall.

33992509665_b94cae0143_b.jpg

Then the portal beast build. The tentacles was built using the tails of the old castle dragons. The beast rushed through the perfect circle with 4 printed eyes and some white horns/teeth. The wall consist of technic bricks and dark red bricks. Open the tentacles will reveal the platform with the sanskrit sticker representing its 'aura'.

33993350505_6e999b47a2_b.jpg

A clearer view to the eyes and teeth.

33149365954_f05b5dd125_b.jpg

The back of the beast was the mechanism. It consist of 4 small wheels and a larger centre gear to rotate the tentacles attached to the technic wall bricks. They were quite simple to build with the instructions given.

IMG_0184

The front view. I replaced the skull to the eye of Sauron, kinda match.. This is when the portal beast's tentacles are closed, you will see how it looks like when it is holding a minifigures as you continue reading.

IMG_0185

The messy rear view. The mechanism are turned by the connecting gears, creating very smooth open and close gesture of the tentacles which I find very impressive. The use of the blade to create the look of the Sanctum's logo was fantastic.

IMG_0186

They looked like they are 'flying' or levitating. Now the portal beast looks hungry. 

And the robe wiggling.

IMG_0188

The stickers are at the left side, right sides are printed pieces including the eye.

The bottom piece are for Dr. Strange to hold the discs.

IMG_0170

Batman: A little help pls.

32199004803_96508a240d_b.jpg

A MOC of the room when he got his 'mantra'.:laugh:

Summary review

Playability: 8/10 (This is kind of a display set.)

Design: 9/10 (The design of the Sanctum's logo and the portal beast was very impressive.)

Price: 8/10 (Quite worthy set as you own it, you complete the series as this is the ONLY Strange set.)

Overall: 8/10 (Can't stress enough that we want more minifigures!)

Edited by kaelthas

Thanks for sharing, It`s nice that you have shown clearly all the elements of the set and the photos are great...!!...basically everything you need to see has been presented in a simple clear way.

Take care and I look forward to seeing more 

Kenny 

Nice review! I really like the set. Its less spectacular maybe than ones with vehicles, but it clearly has charme. And i just cant resist getting something like an occult workshop. I just love magic.  I removed the levitating levers through. That was just too gimmicks for me and took away too much space. But thumbs up for the moving tentacles! What a lovely weird Idea! :laugh:

Thanks for the reply! Glad to have some advice to my post. I will keep up and make more. Stay tuned! 

IMG_0170

Added a new photo in it. The catchy tentacles.

Thanks again!

Got this for Christmas. Honestly, I'm not impressed by it.

The only minifigure I care about is Doctor Strange. I'm not a huge fan of the "spell casting" accessories though. They just don't work for me with the transparent stuff. I'd rather have a shaped thing like the lightning bolts or something molded in a spell casty style. 

The set is not interesting to me. If this thing came with a lot of those BOOK pieces I think I'd suddenly love it heh. But it didn't.

I'd rate this like 2/5 stars myself. Nice pics here though!

I like the way the Ancient Ones fans turned out. They are striking. The fine gold printing on Strange's spells is a little too fine. I absolutely love the set. I love all the room details. The book cases etc. Strange is the best figure. Mordo is probably the dullest or weakest. The set really could have used Wong as well. Does anyone know what the deal is with the odd cross hatching on the Ancient Ones head?

On 1/12/2017 at 7:44 PM, BrickG said:

Got this for Christmas. Honestly, I'm not impressed by it.

The only minifigure I care about is Doctor Strange. I'm not a huge fan of the "spell casting" accessories though. They just don't work for me with the transparent stuff. I'd rather have a shaped thing like the lightning bolts or something molded in a spell casty style. 

The set is not interesting to me. If this thing came with a lot of those BOOK pieces I think I'd suddenly love it heh. But it didn't.

I'd rate this like 2/5 stars myself. Nice pics here though!

Thanks.. The books are stickers on tiles.. As I said, now you have it, you have completed your Dr Strange LEGO collection. Congratulations!

On 1/13/2017 at 0:21 PM, Faefrost said:

I like the way the Ancient Ones fans turned out. They are striking. The fine gold printing on Strange's spells is a little too fine. I absolutely love the set. I love all the room details. The book cases etc. Strange is the best figure. Mordo is probably the dullest or weakest. The set really could have used Wong as well. Does anyone know what the deal is with the odd cross hatching on the Ancient Ones head?

I noticed that too, scar maybe? Between the eyes right?