Gooikes

How Lego suffers

After sorting my old (50+) Lego out, I managed to build a tiny post-apocalyptic scene from old, broken, deformed lego pieces. It just shows how much Lego suffers from being played with.

30412596794_b48c966e5b_z.jpg

30412595244_b92fff7410_z.jpg

30412593384_f4c851d03c_z.jpg

30412591184_07b4733337_z.jpg

30412589984_9a9d4df79d_z.jpg

30412588274_7bdc860235_z.jpg

The burnt train rails might have been on purpose. I remember I used to go for ultra realism when playing out scenes with Lego...

I must admit that damage doesn't look like it's been done from normal play. That stuff looks like it's been melted or smashed in some way... repeatedly.

The tires looks about right for aged rubbers. Those were the days when parents let us play with fire and explosives back then.  Not sure you can do that kind of play now without someone calling the police on you.

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

I must admit that damage doesn't look like it's been done from normal play. That stuff looks like it's been melted or smashed in some way... repeatedly.

It all depends on what one considers normal. The red roof-tiles have warped in the sun, after being left on a hot balcony for an entire summer. The white 2x4 with the bulge on it, is (if I recall correctly) the result of having a tiny lightbulb in there for some reason. The broken rails are the result of having all the Lego spread out on the floor to build a train track, and then stepping on them while playing around it. The melted rails are, as I said, deliberately melted, in an attempt to make a war-like 'end of track'.

We are talking at least 30 years ago since I have last seen these bits. Times were different back then. For some reason the sort of play me and my friends did, was rather destructive. You should see my Playmobile collection, or the case full of Matchbox cars my brother has. Those were at a point used to imitate a car demolisher we had in our neighbourhood.

We played all over the place with out toys; not only indoors, but also in the garden, in the alley behind our houses, in sand, grass, water.

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

The tires looks about right for aged rubbers. Those were the days when parents let us play with fire and explosives back then.  Not sure you can do that kind of play now without someone calling the police on you.

Indeed the tires are genuinely rotten by age. I think these date from the time my oldest brother (now 55) was a kid.

Fire and explosives were staple toys ;-) However, I don't recall ever blowing up Lego.

This looks like some really intense playing indeed! I guess its from your final days of playing with lego before your dark ages. The phase, when you don't really care about it. That would explain the heat deformation. It really looks like it got blown up! :wink:

Edit: Ermm... never mind the last two sentences... :laugh:

Edited by Littleworlds

Those granulate trees I have never seen in one piece, actually. They were broken before I started playing with Lego.

The 'modern' trees however, are part of a set that I got for my birthday. I remember being really peeved off when a friend broke them.

I think I stopped playing with Lego when I was about 16. At that time I would build towers that would reach the ceiling. I also made a moving water feature in the wash basin in my bedroom. I build a record player that actually worked. And a chain-reaction track that spanned my entire bedroom, with pieces precariously balanced on the curtain rail and so on...

The pictures show about half of the damaged elements I found in the buckets of Lego I retrieved from my childhood after my interest got recently renewed. The rest of it is in pretty good nick, but used. That is what Lego is for, isn't it?

7 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Not sure you can do that kind of play now without someone calling the police on you.

Sadly true.

Edited by Sir Gareth

Yikes! Very post-apocalyptic indeed. I remember a time I left one of my old Creator houses on the shelf once and someone turned the heater on. It melted half of the back side bricks. A very sad day for me, and I must say the bricks looked very much like those.