TomOOO

MOC : British standard class 9F (Evening star)

I have started on creating a MOC of Evening star (British standard class 9F), the largest and last of the British steam engines.  My favorite above the class A3 (aka : flying Scotsman - aka Emerald night) and the mallard.  This is a work in progress and so far I have been working on basic design to see if a 2-10-0 will actually go round a lego track as there is no trailing bogie to help. .  I also wanted to use power functions to drive the driving wheels of the engine, and to get the basic "flying" boiler base design as a starting point.  Here is where I am up to, and it drives fine and works well and goes round corners without de-railing.  (Sorry the picture is terrible but it was late at night).  If anyone is interested in this project I will post some more updates.  

You can see it is a heavily modified Emerald night as a starting point - the front has had more work since this picture.  I need to extend the boiler length and try and reduce the diameter.  Then sort out the detail.

train-big-crop.jpg

I took it mostly apart and the new version is much better with a longer boiler and better wheel placement and a better height between boiler frame and driving wheels.  I am getting closer I think; working on the front again, it is very distinctive but difficult to get the front bogie to turn an not hit the cylinders .  I also decided to run a drive shaft between the 2 driving axles rather then using the push rods to do the work - reduces the friction and makes for smoother running.  

Needs the correct tender too.  Hopefully by the weekend I will do some more pictures.