Sign in to follow this  
Hip

A Police Station MOC

Hello guys!

A couple of days ago I realised that I wanted to build a series of custom buildings, which would be used to go around my future city. They would be quite sizeable (around 60-70 bricks wide) and very detailed. I am bringing this up because I have discovered LDD Manager, which works fine on my computer. the question is I am new to the bricklink scene, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips to maximise profit on my moc. Should I put more than one MOCs into the same bricklink order, or just go 1 by 1. And also which stores are the best and which stores have in stock the largest amount of bricks?

Looking forward to reading you answers.

Many thanks,

Hip

Hi Hip

It seems you question is more related to purchase strategies on BrickLink rather the digital tools. I think you'll get more help in the General LEGO section, so I'm moving your topic there.

Also note that LDD Manager is no longer supported, so some of the newer bricks are missing. Use with caution.

My suggestions:

• Buy single bricks on bricklink is quite expensive, so you could look for some bulk purchase otherwhere (some suitable lot of bricks that contains a large amount of bricks you think you could exploit).
  • There are other bricklink-like markets, such as brickowl: take a look there too.
  • Unfortunately LDD Manager is not up-to-date, so you cannot convert the IDs of the parts released in the last years.
  • LDD is not the only digital building software. Take a look at the section index for other software.
    If I remember correctly, LDRAW-based software for example don't need to convert the part IDs (IDs are the same used by Bricklink).
  • To buy the parts for your MOCs, you will need to buy from a great number of bricklink stores, and that increase the cost (expecially due to the multiple shipping costs).
    So the best pratice is to create a wanted list for each building and then check each suitable store using the feature integrated in Bricklink.
    That means you shpuld create all the wanted lists for all your MOCs before proceeding, in order to maximize the buy for each store and reduce shipping costs.
  • There are software created to help users to optimize bricklink purchases. Take a look at the Section Index of the Digital Section for them.
  • Usually the stores that have a large amount of bricks are not cheap. But if you have to buy large amount of bricks, probably they are not a bad solution, because you can save multiple shipping costs.
  • Take into account to buy part of the bricks (usually common ones) on the LEGO website through Pick a Brick. The main advantages are free shipping over a certain amount of expense and a virtually infinite amount of available bricks.

Edited by Calabar

Since you are building a police station, you might also want to look at the City sets and see if any of them provide a significant amount or type of parts you would like for your MOC. If you plan on using a lot of white/blue bricks and also need some police minifigs, you might find the current City police station useful for parts. For every set, you can pull up the building instructions online and look towards the back for the complete parts list. Sometimes, but not always, a set like that could make for a nice parts pack.