AWESOME

I got a question though.. how long can a LEGO battery box run this model before shutting down itself?

Mine usually stops after a few seconds while running two XL motors simultaneously with other motors like a few M motors for door opening and so on.

AWESOME

I got a question though.. how long can a LEGO battery box run this model before shutting down itself?

Mine usually stops after a few seconds while running two XL motors simultaneously with other motors like a few M motors for door opening and so on.

That's why I will use two battery boxes, one for the two XL motors

The other for wheel rotation / conveyor / raise & lower BW. (3 x M motors)

Plus two batteries will act as a counterweight.

More progress and evolution:

Unit tested and found hard to steer, with a basic controller turns only possible by stopping one track.
With a speed controller able to slow one track down but still awkward to steer.
Two XL motors a bit of an overkill so decided to build a subtractor unit.

I built a longitudinal subtractor based on Sariel’s design shown on page 283 of his excellent "Unofficial Technic Builders Guide" book but using studless technic.
The drive to track sprocket wheels is via two Lego worm drive gearboxes (the yellow parts as shown in at "C” in my post #12)
They proved ideal as they lined up OK with the outputs from the subtractor.

An XL motor provides the drive and the M motor provides the steering.
Works OK with basic controller but much better with a speed controller to allow for wide radius turns.

This unit will replace the two original XL motors and will be mounted so that both motors are at the front of the cab section.
Along with a battery box this will help counterbalance the bucket wheel.

Underside of track chassis:-
28956831064_9af6d7a1f1.jpgIMG_3944 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Top view of subtractor drive unit:-
29502051791_23721130ec.jpgIMG_3946 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Underside view of subtractor drive unit:-
29582610185_769bd46fe0.jpgIMG_3947 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Edited by Doug72

The “Beast” get bigger !

As I hoped the the AA battery box provides sufficient counterweight to the bucket wheel unit and the whole machine is nicely balanced on the tracks.

29540833932_ea62091429.jpgIMG_3957 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

29027428913_91c4880f18.jpgIMG_3958 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

PF Controls:
The AA battery box has a stop so power can only be switched on in one direction.
3 x PF switches control the bucket wheel unit - to be house inside cabin section.

Red lever:- Raise and lower bucket wheel.
Yellow lever: Rotates bucket wheel with mechanical stop on PF switch to prevent wrong way rotation.
Also supplies power to the conveyor PF switch so can only run when BW is rotating.
Black lever: Powers the conveyor to discharge either side when digging.

Tracks and steering use a PF receiver controlled using a remote basic controller.
Track speed using an XL motor is quite slow, as are full size machines when digging.
Steering using the subtractor unit has good control for wide radius turns and also on the spot turns.

At the moment the 6 cylinder Vee engine is a dummy and not powered - maybe later.

29361210210_84db189140.jpgIMG_3959 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Next stage is to begin building the cabin and engine housings - not something I am very good at - probably need to order more 5 x 11L panels to complete this or raid the 42055 B model for blue 3 x 11 panels.

Edited by Doug72

I absolutely love how this is coming along! Thanks for sharing all the WIP pics.

Thanks for the comment.

I have made a slight modification to the PF switch bank by rotating it 180 degs to allow cables to be hidden better and also to allow space for the divers legs in the cab.

At the moment run out of parts and only one side of the machinery section is completed.
Awaiting more 5 x 11 yellow panels from Lego to complete the other side.

One problem is how to hide all the holes in the panels !!

The Cab:
First attempt at the operators cabin.

I always find it hard to marry studless with studded technic hence roof cabin arrangement.

29403523480_3c2209b8b9.jpgIMG_3960 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Next step engine casing and maybe devise a way to turn the 6 cyd. Vee engine.

Edited by Doug72

At a guess, how much of this is BWE parts? And how many of the non-BWE parts are functional and how many are decorative?

Firstly I have never set out to construct this MOC as a "C" model of the 42055 BWE set.

It is based around the BWE excavator wheel as built and using the left over parts from the 42055 "B" model which I am still building "s l o w l y".

The other parts required are from my stock of parts or on order ( yellow panels ).

As per post 13,16,18 the MOC has five (5) functions all powered using PF parts

1/. Bucket Wheel rotation. M motor

2/. Conveyor discharge belt. M motor

3/. Raise & lower BW assembly. L motor

1 to 3: all controled manually by PF switches located in the operators cab.

4/. Drive to both caterpillar tracks XL motor

5/. Steering M motor using a subtractor gearbox.

4 & 5 Controled remotely by basic PF Tx

All the panels are not decorative and perform a function as they form part of the rigid structure required to ensure it functions OK and can carry the weight of the BW unit without over toppling.

At the moment only "decorative parts" are floodlights, driver, air filters (used to open battery compartment)

Battery box has been re-located (to make the switch more accessible) - currently its part of the framing - later I hope to make irt removable.

This gives more space for the engine - with room now for an *8 cyl. Vee engine plus space for a possible drive path to rotate it from the track drive unit.

Once completed hope to demonstrate it digging and discharging the spoil.

As each step in the build is completed I find ways to improve previous completed sections - its a back and forth build without any instructions save an idea in my head of what i want to achieve.

I may later try and build a Gyrotiller, another MOC idea I have long wanted to build.

Doug

Edited by Doug72

My MOC nearing completion, just a few more “decorative”parts to put in place.

Have tested the digging function and it picks up bricks well and ejects them via the conveyor OK.

I plan to make a video showing this once I build a demonstration digging trench box with a clear side panel.

29354085423_3f9b6720d6.jpgIMG_4097 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

29354085563_739860267d.jpgIMG_4096 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

I would place the cabin to the side of the machine, with the driver's seat perpendicular to the trench so that he can supervise both the digging and the forward movement of the machine. Underground wheel loaders have a similar arrangement. This being said, your model looks great. The number of buckets on the wheel seems much more adequate to this scale than to the BWE scale where in real life there would probably be 2 times more buckets, but a little smaller. Do you plan on making some instructions or a ldd model of it?

1 hour ago, Gabi_BC said:

I would place the cabin to the side of the machine, with the driver's seat perpendicular to the trench so that he can supervise both the digging and the forward movement of the machine. Underground wheel loaders have a similar arrangement. This being said, your model looks great. The number of buckets on the wheel seems much more adequate to this scale than to the BWE scale where in real life there would probably be 2 times more buckets, but a little smaller. Do you plan on making some instructions or a ldd model of it?

Gabi, thanks for the comments and suggestion about the cab. I will try and re-configure it, depends if able to re-position the three PF switches.

Re Instructions:- sorry no plans - I tend to have an idea and build as I go, resulting in many changes as the build progresses.

As for LDD I have no idea how to use that.

The photos in the previous posts will give you some idea how its built.

The BW is as built for the BWE but the way it is supported totally different.

Update:
Mark 2 cabin built but very cramped due to three PF switches and operator can only stand !

Mark 3 cabin built without PF switches - operator now has a reclining / rotating seat.

Controls:-
All functions now control via two PF Receivers with a hidden PF switch to reverse the conveyor as required.

Two PF 8885 IR remotes used, see photo.
1/      Track drive (black lever) and steering.(Steering wheel)
2/.     Raise/lower bucket wheel. (Red lever)
         BW rotation (Blue lever) interlocked by a stop to ensure can only rotate in the digging direction.
3/     The PF switch is hidden inside below the cabin and only powered when     BW rotates. 
        Switch position c/o using the 1L yellow button just below front corner of the cabin.

29921405401_8e81889588.jpgIMG_4100 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

29921407211_7b1e083ebe_n.jpgIMG_4101 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

MOC - Completed with a minor modification to improve ball transfer on the conveyor.
Two cleats fitted to conveyor as found Lego balls tended say in one place & rotate on the belt.
Underside brace on conveyor structure removed to allow the cleats to pass.

Bucket Wheel Trencher in action:-

Video showing the track drive / steering / raising & lowering bucket wheel / bucket wheel turning with conveyor running.

Using a mock trench to show digging action demonstrated and ball pick up / discharge.

Note: trailing support arm removed to allow Lego balls to be hand loaded.

With a longer conveyor would make a good GBC module.

Edited by Doug72
Missing text.