Hello all!

It has been a while since I have posted here but I have got a new toy! It is on loan to me for the summer and I plan to use it well. This thread will be where I post all my creations and hopefully the programs. I have a few programs ready and waiting to be filmed and a lot more ideas. None of them have been filmed yet, but here is a trailer to wet your appetite!:

As usual, please leave any constructive feedback and keep popping back because I will (probably should!) be updating this thread fairly often.

Technic Jim

Make it Segway-style, it's really fun to do!

Of course, you would also need to order the gyro sensor.

Edited by Beard

I made something vaguely similar a while ago.

The wheels are made of the larger (5-stud wide) tank treads bent the wrong way - I discovered that using between 30 and 45 of these per wheel gives a nice tight loop to use as a gigantic wheel (for those who don't want to splash out on Hailfire Droid wheels). It reached about 20kmph in a test run, although takes a long time to reach that speed. As for turning on the spot, that happens at about 4 full turns every second when running at maximum speed.

Sorry Technic Jim but I do not understand your vehicle.

Is a segway?

What is its purpose?

Sorry Technic Jim but I do not understand your vehicle.

Is a segway?

What is its purpose?

It was just a standard Lego education robot and is designed as a trailer for the things that I am going to build over the summer break. Sorry for any confusion caused!

I see you are using the Home version of the EV3 Education software. Well, There are good news. The EV3 Education software is now available for free from https://education.lego.com/en-us

All you need to do:

1. Create a new account.

2. At the bottom to the page click "Download your software"

3. Click on the tab "Core Software"

Hi,

Always nice to see some Mindstorms activity on Eurobricks. We have too little of it.

Looking forward to your input!

Sorry for the double post, but as promised here is the first creation:

At first glance, it may seem a bit silly, but I have lots of uses for it. It is quite a simple program and you can download it on Bricksafe if you want o have a look inside (http://bricksafe.com/pages/Technic_Jim). The video explains it quite well but if you have any questions, ask away below.

Jim

(PS.Turn on 1080p HD quality on the video. It really makes a difference to the quality of the bit where I show what the program looks like!)

Edited by Technic Jim

Hi.

Interesting !

Can you explain, step by step, how can I import your MyBlock ? Thank you.

Hi.

Interesting !

Can you explain, step by step, how can I import your MyBlock ? Thank you.

Thanks. First of all you go to the Mindstorms page on my Bricksafe (http://bricksafe.com/pages/Technic_Jim/lego-calculator [Yes, that is the right link, the name and hyperlink are different though]) You click on the only item there which will be the number create program, and you download it. Once it is downloaded, open the file. When the file has opened, click on the spanner on the project bar (if you're not familiar with the software, there will be two programs open when you first open the project; one will be called Block and the other will be called NumberCreate. NumberCreate will probably be the one that opens.) When you reach the spanner page, there will be six headers that say Programs, Images, Sounds, My Blocks, Variables and Exportable Items. You want to click on the 'My Blocks' one. When yu click on it, in the table below there should be row full that says NumberCrate.ev3p. You want to click on this and when it goes blue (Item is selected!) click on export. It will then promt you to save it where you want to. This step is now complete. You have a My Block waiting to be imported into any program.

To import the My Block, get to the same 'My Blocks' page as you did last time, but this time on the project you want the My Block on. This time, instead of clicking export on the bottom, click Import. You then have to find where you saved the exported My Block last time and click on it. It should appear in the table. Then, on the top bar, you should go along to the program you want the My Block in, go to the light blue rectangle at the bottom and the My Block should be there. You are free to use it.

In case anyone was wondering, feel free to use any of the programs I post here without asking me but depending how much you edit them, maybe mention me!

Cheers, Jim

Once it is downloaded, open the file. When the file has opened...

Which file ? All your files are .ev3p and I need an .ev3 file to open a project.

Edited by oracid

You have to know that your file is a .zip file not an .ev3 file.

So, I have changed the subfix to .ev3 and now it is good.

Ok, I will have a look to your program.

Thank you.

Here is a program that puts the Number Create program to good use; it's a 14 function calculator! The functions are add, subtract, multiply, divide, exponential, roots, factorial, logarithms and the six trigonometric functions. Most of the functions were easy to achieve, but roots, factorial and log weren't. To work out any root of any number, I took the base of the root (square root - 2, cube root - 3, etc.), put it to the power of -1 to get the reciprocal then multiplied the number by that. Factorial was a rather complicated program which is on my Bricksafe (http://bricksafe.com...lego-calculator). Log in any base was also quite hard! To work it out, I took Log10 of the first number then divided it by Log10 of the second number which gave me Logsecond number(first number). That is all to it really. Oh, and three 14 way switches! If you want to play around with it, the whole program is on my Bricksafe. There is also a very exciting video :grin: (sorry about the hideous quality. It is really hard to film the screen of an EV3 with a first gen Ipad!):

Hope you enjoy, Jim

Edited by Jim