i bought 8422 recently for €3.50 auction, the set was in very poor condition, yellowed...but i discovered that the tyres are unique to set set, the tyre thread is fanastic. its like street bike thread, i am gonna try bring this old set back to life rebuilding with new parts, its just interesting they never reused that tyre again.

i also love the tyres on 8416/8435....i got a nice few of them now :-)

8422-1.png

6596.png

Nice catch! Congratulations:)

You can make yellowed parts almost white again by putting them in hydrogen peroxide. If you cut fresh potatoes in the bath, the process will be faster (fresh potato do have ferments that accelerate the process of peroxide dissociation). I did it with parts of 8480. They did not become shining white, but they look much more clear:)

About tyres: it seems like the tyres become softer after some years. I have four wheels from 5571 and 4 wheels from 8458. They all are very soft which makes them very suitable for truck trial:) Also, unique rims can be very useful.

Didn't these older tires all get made from a softer compound than the newer ones? I personally prefer the old tyres (like the old 2995 balloon tyres) to the new ones just because tyre are so much more grippy.

You can make yellowed parts almost white again by putting them in hydrogen peroxide. If you cut fresh potatoes in the bath, the process will be faster (fresh potato do have ferments that accelerate the process of peroxide dissociation). I did it with parts of 8480. They did not become shining white, but they look much more clear:)

Keep in mind that white colour aquired in the process is not permanent. Pieces will turn yellowish again (bu it is counted in years, not days)

Before putting in the hydrogen peroxide (2008):

dsc00066.jpg

Result:

dsc00068.jpg

After six years in the closed box (it started turning yellow again earlier):

dsc_0125.jpg

Edited by M_longer

Thanks for all the advice, but I found an eBay seller who had the white rims brand new...they were 2 Euro each.

The other white parts are easily replaced. The bigger problem is the Light Gray parts... A lot of them are yellowed and off colour.

Like the camshaft's, one edge is badly yellowed while the side not exposed to sunlight is fine. I am gonna have to swap out parts for brand new where possible and others in second hand but standard Gray.

Even some of the Red parts went pink!!

There are some amazing tyres and wheel rims out there, to name a few:

8417....I am sure there are others. I was sooo impressed by the wheels on 8448 I bought a second set. As I have an idea to build the C model of 8458 with these wheels + the Red panels design used on 8145,8653 etc.

I love that C model but I don't have the metallic silver panels and wheels nesscary.

Edited by Richard Dower

Are you sure they're original? The white rims i mean.

2€ is quite cheap.

Edited by AlphaX

Are you sure they're original? The white rims i mean.

2€ is quite cheap.

deffo... i have been buying from him for years, German ebay seller: http://www.ebay.ie/i...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

actually, you are the second person today to question me if a part i had was legit or fake....i guess my recent excursion and checking out those fake chinese sets have rubbed off on me, people now questioning if my stuff is legit or not...not really fair as it was mostly an (expensive) experiment.

Edited by Richard Dower