Sign in to follow this  
Dino_Bot

'08 Toa Reviews

Well...So there I was. At TRU. Like I do sometimes. I didn't expect to...y'know...buy anything, but...I'm always in the look for new Bionicle canisters. And I had just received money for Christmas...

Fateful combination. Before, I already had gotten Kopaka, but he was quickly stowed with a Don't open 'till X-Mas tag. And so I waited. I WAITED.

Last night, I opened Kopaka and Lewa.

First up is Kopaka. Yes, he's still Kopaka Nuva, but he's drastically changed! His mask is now different, somewhat reminescent of Nuju's mask. There's some old pieces and new pieces as well. Obviously the Inika/Mahri bodies have been an improvement over anything done before, so they're sticking to this body plan, and guess what? It STILL gets the job done. They've got plethora of articulation. New pieces obviously include the mask, the cannon thingie, the wings (well, I haven't seen them on anything else!), and the bayonet's dagger. Once built, he's an imposing Biomechanical Ice God as defined by me and a friend some years back. He's lost his shield and his sword (you can always...y'know...make him hold them), but he's not got a gigantic ball shooter, which at times, can be an annoyance. His colors are still white and grey, but the grey's gotten darker. Soon, pictures will follow. Just feel free to find them around.

As for Lewa, same body plan. He's got lime green pieces, though, instead of his usual Grass green. A thing I did not agree with at first. His mask is very...Rocketeer style, and it looks good. New pieces include his...well...rockets, his sword, his feet, and his mask. His sword is a loong aircutter that combines all Toa of Air's weapon elements,which I guess it's still cool (looks Bionicle 01 if you ask me. Classic). Once built, he is quite imposing, but his legs look a little too skinny and his feet look kinda big. He's just as articulated as the toa from the lasst two years. And this will always be a plus with me. My only gripe is his coloration. I would have preferred the grass green he used to sport. He's also got the cannon thingy.

And by the way, those cannon thingies are FUN. They're the best weapons released thus so far. All the others have blown (Disc launchers were sort of nice).

Next: Pictures, and Toa Ignika.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese hurry with pics! sounds cool though. can the midak skyblaster hold several shots?

oh, why did the TRUs around me all close? :'-(

jifel

DO WANT! Anyway, I want to get these for me and my friends because like me, they grew up with Bionicles, and they want to see what 6 years has done to their familiar Toa.

A bad idea there...if I gave my old Bionicle cohort new Toa, he'd probably smash it in front of my face.

Anyways...while thinking long and hard about these new Toa, I decided I still like the Inika better, even if they have no skull. I mean...did you look at Hahli? Her coloration is just...a winner. And they just...look good. But I assure you, these are better than the Mahri (anything is better than those rushed up Toa Jockheads)

Also, I haven't been at home during the day, and since my camera sucks, I can only take good pictures during the day. I'm trying to be careful with this, so you can truly appreciate their awesome-ness.

Also, I have not bought Toa Pohatu yet. It will take time, I'm afraid.

And while I'm at it, I will review Toa Ignika.

HOLY MEGABLOCK. He's awesome. The Toa himself, is just...awesome. The Ignika is all you can expect, but I expected it to be gold...The Toa has a different torso build than the other Toa, and he's got a low neck, kind of like...Pohatu or Onua, I guess. He's also got new pieces of armor covering his limbs, and his tricolor combo looks awesome. He's just...a very dangerous looking Toa. But his sled...holy snot...This is like the Batmobile of all Toa sleds/mounts. This thing is just...sooo awesome looking. He can even hold it as a shield! (Well, I got him to hold it as a shield...or a megaclaw!). However, you can't really build upon the Sled, it's just...solid. Nowhere to plug in new stuff/upgrades for the Toa to hold. In the end, if you see him, get him. Do not hesitate. Just...buy him. Even if you don't like the Nuva/"Phantoka" at all, just buy this guy, 'coz you will not be disappointed.

As for the cannon launcher things, they hold up to 4 "zamors". They're pretty cool. And they won't fall out like with the real Zamor Launchers. But they're really kind of heavy, and if you get a loose limbed Toa, you're out of luck. And these Toa have looser limbs than the Inika (The Inika I got all had really tight joints, which is generally regarded as good).

Now with...PICTURES!

This is Toa Lewa:

PHOT0001-15.jpg

Strike a pose *expletive*

PHOT0002-18.jpg

Y'all wanna piece o' me?

PHOT0003-20.jpg

Ah Ownly see air.

PHOT0004-20.jpg

Yeah, you want a piece of me.

PHOT0005-18.jpg

Ready for take-off. Wiindflyy!

Toa Kopaka

PHOT0006-20.jpg

Eat Zamors.

PHOT0009-20.jpg

Mute...as usual.

PHOT0010-17.jpg

My leadership is better than Tahu's. More action, less blabber.

PHOT0011-18.jpg

Freeze, Makuta!

PHOT0012editedice.jpg

The ice is nice...

Toa Ignika, The Toa of Life.

PHOT0013-14.jpg

Sledding along!

PHOT0014-15.jpg

Boy this is fun.

PHOT0015-12.jpg

What is this now?

PHOT0016-10.jpg

Can I be yer friend?

PHOT0017-6.jpg

Mata Nui will live.

PHOT0018-7.jpg

Who's there?

PHOT0019-8.jpg

Ya want a piece of this?

PHOT0020-5.jpg

Come get it!

PHOT0021-5.jpg

Simple, but protective.

PHOT0022-7.jpg

Lets fly!

I...Used the mask of time? Everybody can do that. Ask around. :-D

Well, I still haven't gotten Pohatu. And I can't wait. I left him for last because...well...I haven't seen it.

I see the Toa Ignika has a clip onhis back to fit a matoran on. Does this mean we will see a corresponding matoran for him or is it just so he can confom with the others and fit any old matoran on, I wonder.

Nice reviews anyway Dino_bot *y* i look forward to you getting Pohatu so I can sum up whether i want him :-)

Edited by Plural

sweet! i saw all the mtoran and 4 phantoka yesteray, oh why did i buy the skeleton prison carriage?its really cool though! *sweet*

jifel

Finally got Toa Pohatu, pictures tomorrow.

Well...Umm...he's definitely not the Pohatu we all knew and loved (His mask look like his Toa Olda version a little, to be honest), and his color scheme has suffered a drastic change. But, if you're into innovation and pushing the line forward, like me, then you won't be disappointed. Sure, he's the shortest of the bunch, and he's got 6 orange pieces (honestly, that's all the orange he's got. He's mostly grey...), but he's the most innovative. His torso is very different to the other two guy's torsos, and he doesn't have a torso armor piece. He's got a shoulder mounted Midak Skyblaster, which is actually attached in the front, not the back. But here's what caught me off guard. I thought he had hands. His hands are his propellers/pincers. Which, don't get me wrong...I think it's totally cool (This is perhaps the thing he's got most in common with his original version). It's just...new...and cool, because since he's got the mask of speed, he can simply use them as propellers, by moving his wrists in a circular fashion, and when he's not flying, he can use them the same way he used to use his Kodan pincers.

Two things I don't like about this guy: His mask is not a complete mask, and that he doesn't have his foot pieces...I really think that of all the pieces they took away from him, his foot pieces were the parts that they should have left. They're the most telling parts that this is indeed Pohatu.

But that's it. I like him more than I like the other two guys, as he gets 10+ for innovation. But keep in mind that Pohatu got a total body change. He's highly recommended. Don't just skip him because of his colors or his height. He's really cool.

PHOT0001-16.jpg

Ya wannapiece o me!?

PHOT0002-19.jpg

Slightly old, but dignified, and not too old for sex *sing*

PHOT0003-21.jpg

Stand and deliver, Makuta!

PHOT0004-21.jpg

PHOT0005-19.jpg

Can I pinch you?

PHOT0006-21.jpg

Maybe I can learn to do some of this 'windflying' business.

PHOT0007-24.jpg

The Makuta!

PHOT0008-20.jpg

Bad timing, bad toa to mess with.

PHOT0009-21.jpg

Not just ONE toa to mess with, but THREE.

No, no gears involved with any of them. Pohatu's mechanism is a tube and rod type thing. You twist the rod, and the props move. That's why his arms are so strange.

Actually, the friends I told you about still have all the old Toa, Turaga, Matoran, Bohrok, Rahkshi, Metru, and a bit more up to 2006 still built up. They're still fans. :-P

Yes, he is going to be re-made. Greg F and the names list have revealed this. I'm particularly excited.

I love one off Toa.