manglegrat

[MOC] [LXF] Vader's Tie Fighter

This MOC was initially inspired by the wing design from the awesome cornwaille TIE Bomber MOC from Lego Ideas (which I also built IRL - :wub: ), by 75082 (obvs), and a nod towards MikeMo's design in this thread. Apologies for the fairly sketchy and variable lighting in the pics. :blush:

It's a few studs bigger than the one in 75150 (I built this before pics of that leaked) and probably doesn't match the proportions of the movie model (never checked!) but I like the way it looks and it compares well to my UCS 10175 taking into account the scale.

It swooshes well enough but I wouldn't want to bump the wings too many times mid-swoosh - as you can maybe see from the pics they have a bit of weight-related sag (which happens to us all from time to time), so the connections using two of these on either side to keep the wings tight to the body need a bit of care when the action's going down.

27008925772_35dff25991_o.jpg

27034891481_931fe64bc2_o.jpg

27009306382_ae9a592c6a_o.jpg

27103268975_e7f176da77_o.jpg

26829176140_1f01b84218_o.jpg

I built it in bricks first then reverse engineered it into LDD to capture it electronically (minus the printed parts, haven't figured how to do that yet), and I added a couple of extra greebly bits to the inside of the wings that I don't have in my spares box but I think I'm going to have to track down. I could probably dial-up the greebling a couple of notches in general, but I wanted something fairly clean and focussed.

(note the 1x3 inverted slopes underneath the curves in the last pic above are attached to technic holes in this piece in real life but they wouldn't connect in LDD so the digital version has 3 trans red 1x1 rounds there instead - nice enough looking for the LDD but doesn't match the lines well enough in real life for me)

I did a bonus 360 render of the LDD in BlueRender (again, no printing but hey) - and yes, while it's a little back-heavy in bricks it does balance on the stand at that point:

Vader%20Tie%200.1.centered_zpsogpqryfs.gif

Hope you guys like it! :sweet:

Edited by manglegrat
Updated LDD file link to point to Bricksafe

Great MOC. Thanks for the file.

Thanks! :blush: You're welcome - I wanted to give back a tiny bit for all the awesome stuff I've grabbed from others. :classic:

How did you get BlueRender to render translucent in that way? I have read the somebody made a alternativ version of bluerender but all links are down.

How did you get BlueRender to render translucent in that way? I have read the somebody made a alternativ version of bluerender but all links are down.

Yeah, it's using the excellent BlueRender mod from the ex-member formerly known as Bublible from this thread, which I see you've posted on a couple of times - sorry I don't have any ideas how to get similar results on the "vanilla" version of BR. :sceptic: I also have v0005 of the official one but only use the modded version just now.

I tuned in to that thread early enough to grab the .app file for my Mac and read his tutorial before he left the forum. I'm sure at some point the official builds will come close or surpass the modded version, though...

Not sure the etiquette of distributing someone else's stuff, though they did withdraw it & disappear in a huff, so... I could maybe be persuaded to share via PM.

Again, I have Mac .app file only - so it's absolutely no use for Windows folks.