Sign in to follow this  
aska0278

MOC ancient castle ruins

Well first let me say I joined these forums as a mom trying to support my two daughters (7 and 10) who LOVE to build with their LEGOs; especially my eldest's. This is my eldest daughter's THING. (some kids have sports, some kids have dance, she builds LEGOs) Every year our school district holds a LEGO building competition for the elementary students (K-5) They have ONE hour to build from the ground up. There is no pre-building and all pieces (including minifigs) must be disassembled. The kids are divided into grade levels. Each grade level has a "Most Creative" and "Most Realistic" award. There is also "Overall Creative," "Overall Realistic," and of course "Best of Show." My eldest won "Most Creative" for 2nd grade level, "Best of Show" last year (in 3rd grade), and "Most Realistic" for 4th grade level this past weekend.

We (mom, dad, and girls) have been planning, prepping, learning, redoing, and practice building since early January. My eldest and I have been pouring over building tutorials, pictures, youtube videos, and some of the LEGO building books. (It's how I found the eurobricks forums.) She came across CesBrick's Wizard cottage, fell in love with the green water and the water pouring trick, and used that as inspiration for what she wanted to do. We used Derfel's guide to building a medieval village to learn some new techniques. They were the two biggest contributors I thought I'd share some pictures because I think she did a fantastic job, and since the forums here have helped her create what she wanted to do. So thank-you eurobrick peoples for all the inspiration. You helped my 10yr old daughter achieve her vision, and win a prize for the third year in a row at her LEGO building competition.

Side view of the side witht he wizard's house (he lives under some ruins in the hill) and the pig pen:

26282807001_20ae020711_z.jpgwizard6 by asuka0278, on Flickr

Side view of the waterfall, and other castle ruins:

25744166824_71c5a4be44_z.jpgwizard8 by asuka0278, on Flickr

Head on view of the waterfall. She ran out of time and didn't get to put the translucent blue pieces over the water:

26304293401_338906dc8c_z.jpgwizard5 by asuka0278, on Flickr

head on view of the wizard's house and the water pouring trick. (She thought that was the coolest trick ever and was determined to use it.)

26282806311_ca19e272fd_z.jpgwizard9 by asuka0278, on Flickr

The next day she was allowed to display her creation at the school district's STEM festival. So she was able to add the translucent water pieces to it. A head on view of the ruins:

26344404196_ff1d392d73_z.jpgruins by asuka0278, on Flickr

Frog Pond (this is my favorite part, with the waterfall coming in a close second.)

25767587263_b2eb077e61_z.jpgfrog_pond by asuka0278, on Flickr

This shows lots of creativity, and the execution is pretty amazing for a 10-year-old.

My favourite parts are the "foam" at the bottom of the waterfall as well the way she arranged the leafs on the ground.

Very nice build indeed! The frog pond is also my favorite! It's always nice to see once in a while Lego designers at such a young age, reminds me of my past self. Tell your daughter to keep this MOC around. DONT TEAR IT APART!