anothergol

[MOC] Another AT-ST version 4.5

So good I built two! Just waiting on a couple of parts to finish them 100%, I've made each slightly different too. It's a very clever design, I love how the whole thing is supported on those two ball joints, but there actually isn't any strain on them as it's all about balancing the head - which is tricky at first but you soon get the knack of it.

Thanks Gol.

image_zpszgvmhnzu.jpeg

image_zpsczj84z6t.jpeg

Looking nice.

I too have another build, but the other of the old v1, which I'm gonna disassemble to build another new one.

The cables under the body wrap above it btw, like on this pic AT-ST v2.2, front view

(the original has 3 doing the same thing, in a slightly different way)

For those who have built this thing, how did you go about generating the parts list? The LDD files don't play too nicely with the new BL importing system, as there are some parts that BL doesn't recognize.

For those who have built this thing, how did you go about generating the parts list? The LDD files don't play too nicely with the new BL importing system, as there are some parts that BL doesn't recognize.

I didn't realise some parts went missing during the export, I was Bricklinking Anio's AT-AT, BB8 and A-Wing at the same time so had a lot to keep track of! When I got around to checking the inventory I then realised I was some parts short so just put another order in to get them. I'd just double check the list and manually add anything that's missing.

Recently I've been using Rebrickable's private MOCs functionality as a verification & Wanted List generation tool. It does a pretty good job of part translation from LDD parts to Bricklink-aware part IDs. Better than exporting to LDraw first, and much better than the new Bricklink function...

I upload LXFs for my MOCs and check what parts are & aren't available in what colours, then export to Bricklink wanted lists from there once I've verified it or modified it to fit - I'll go back to LDD and modify the file, re-save, re-import and cycle through versions, swapping parts and colours until it all works.

Occasionally you still have to double-check a part it thinks isn't available in that colour against Bricklink, where it actually is...

It's not perfect but *much* better than the Bricklink "nope, try again - and guess what's wrong" response, though! :classic:

While I had troubles adding the listing at Rebrickable (not every recent part was available), BL should have no problem with it, even alternate part #'s are ok at BL.

However it's something that still needs manual work on your side, because some parts are hidden & you can pick whatever color a shop has in stock, and you may also pick alternate parts (like different molds of jumpers) if a shop has them in stock & not the others.

Same thing with the printed parts that don't exist in the LDD, you will need to check my photos for that.

Edited by anothergol

On 03/02/2016 at 5:00 AM, Frike said:

This thing just gets better and better!

Well yes that's essentially what a 2.0 is :P

On 19/09/2016 at 9:56 PM, anothergol said:

Looking nice.

I too have another build, but the other of the old v1, which I'm gonna disassemble to build another new one.

The cables under the body wrap above it btw, like on this pic AT-ST v2.2, front view

(the original has 3 doing the same thing, in a slightly different way)

It's great. Your next upgrade should be making it 2 inches shorter LOL :P

Edited by Tracytron

9 hours ago, Tracytron said:

It's great. Your next upgrade should be making it 2 inches shorter LOL :P

Why? The metrics are roughly respected, only the feet are too long (by design).

I have an update (with the redesigned body) ready for pictures, but it's waiting Lego's own because I need the printed helmet. Sadly the online shop was already out of stock and I'm still waiting for it.

Hey Anothergol i'm curious if you bought the new Rogue One AT-ST? I wanted to know your opinion on it? If at all possible it would be pretty cool to see a comparison shot between yours and TLG's.

Edited by Forresto

Yeah as I just wrote, I've ordered it, and would already have it if Lego wasn't out of stock at the moment :(

I will certainly make a picture of all of them - I have a smaller cartoonish one waiting for proper pictures as well.

12 hours ago, anothergol said:

Why? The metrics are roughly respected, only the feet are too long (by design).

I have an update (with the redesigned body) ready for pictures, but it's waiting Lego's own because I need the printed helmet. Sadly the online shop was already out of stock and I'm still waiting for it.

I mean it just doesn't look good compared to say an AT-TE walker

EDIT: both with scaling AND the level of greebling :P

Edited by Tracytron

10 hours ago, Tracytron said:

I mean it just doesn't look good compared to say an AT-TE walker

but what does the scale have to do with that?

EDIT: both with scaling AND the level of greebling :P

next version has less greebling on the second leg segment (which was hard to do), but I have to cover technic stuff with.. something. Can't be all tiles - the "real" one has greebling too, only it's different.

7 hours ago, anothergol said:

but what does the scale have to do with that?

next version has less greebling on the second leg segment (which was hard to do), but I have to cover technic stuff with.. something. Can't be all tiles - the "real" one has greebling too, only it's different.

I'm just saying it wouldn't fit in with official sets. But it doesn't really matter I just found another AT-ST moc that's a lot smaller

But of course, since official sets aren't in scale with anything. Lego's own new AT-ST isn't in scale with their AT-AT's either.

On 07/10/2016 at 0:05 PM, anothergol said:

But of course, since official sets aren't in scale with anything. Lego's own new AT-ST isn't in scale with their AT-AT's either.

And that's what I'm trying to fix LOL

On 07/10/2016 at 0:05 PM, anothergol said:

? on a stick i just finished that other one on LDD and its WAAAAAAY too small and while yours is still a bit too big for my tastes it definitely scales better than that other one LOL. now ive just got to completely redesign the legs and make a few little mods to the head so that there isnt so much greebling lol

EDIT: i figured out that it was too big by importing the previous 2 AT-TE sets

Edited by Tracytron

1 hour ago, Tracytron said:

And that's what I'm trying to fix LOL

Except that it's Lego's AT-AT (& most likely many other sets) that are not minifig-scaled.

While "minifig-scaled" is subjective & can range from a scale to its double, Lego's AT-AT definitely isn't minifig-scaled.

This AT-ST is around 1/30, which is more based on the size of a minifig's head rather than its height.
A version scaled according to a minifig height would be smaller and wouldn't have room for 2 seats.

Edited by anothergol

6 minutes ago, anothergol said:

Except that it's Lego's AT-AT (& most likely many other sets) that are not minifig-scaled.

While "minifig-scaled" is subjective & can range from a scale to its double, Lego's AT-AT definitely isn't minifig-scaled.

This AT-ST is around 1/30, which is more based on the size of a minifig's head rather than its height.
A version scaled according to a minifig height would be smaller and wouldn't have room for 2 seats.

"a version scaled according to a minifigures height would be smaller and wouldnt have room for 2 seats" wait wa?

2 hours ago, Tracytron said:

"a version scaled according to a minifigures height would be smaller and wouldnt have room for 2 seats" wait wa?

If you scale it according to a minifigure's height (minifigures thus considered as very very obese people with hydrocephaly), thus 1/48, the head should be 4 studs wide, clearly not enough to seat 2 minifigs.

As seen here, if you use 1/44 or 1/48, a minifig is over twice as large as a normal human, you wouldn't fit 2 in a properly scaled cockpit. That's why I prefer to see minifigs as midgets. Even at 1/35 here the head is still abnormally large.

2700119117_4a9504a731.jpg

2 hours ago, anothergol said:

If you scale it according to a minifigure's height (minifigures thus considered as very very obese people with hydrocephaly), thus 1/48, the head should be 4 studs wide, clearly not enough to seat 2 minifigs.

As seen here, if you use 1/44 or 1/48, a minifig is over twice as large as a normal human, you wouldn't fit 2 in a properly scaled cockpit. That's why I prefer to see minifigs as midgets. Even at 1/35 here the head is still abnormally large.

2700119117_4a9504a731.jpg

Oh you mean by mass? Uh I'm still pretty confused here so if somehow this helps you explain it; i count a minifig as tall as the 44:1 one (also while we're on the topic of minifigures you have to admit just adding an outward hinge at the shoulder would help A LOT with posing them and stuff LOL)

Ok, then the size you'd want is pretty much the one of Bandai's kit, pictured here, 1/48:

It's roughly the correct height according to the height of a minifig, and yet you can see by comparing the 2 Chewies that something's wrong. And in any case, there is room for 2 human pilots in that AT-ST, but only room for 1 minifig. Hence me saying, if you want a 1/44 AT-ST, there's no room for 2 minifigs side by side.

MinifigScale.jpg

There is if you move one of them back a little though lol oh no wait you said specifically "side by side" BRAINFARTS Y U DO DIS TO ME :P

also something to keep in mind is that a minifig is actually only 3 studs wide. I've squeezed minifigs together with just one stud in between their legs MANY times

I've squeezed minifigs together with just one stud in between their legs MANY times

That's generally how it's done, how I did it, and that can't be done within the 4 studs at the scale you're asking for

Perhaps but I feel when one hundred percent correct scale isnt possible, one can still get close. 

However that model seems much smaller then the AT-ST we see on Hoth. I'm curious if the Empire employs two variants. For instance a compact variant makes total sense for dense aboreal terrain whereas the taller variant seems to gain a height advantage on open field.  

Edited by Forresto

Having studied both models, the one on Hoth, while pretty different, doesn't have that much longer legs. It's mainly that we see it with the legs extended. This thing can look much taller when you fully extend the legs.