Sign in to follow this  
jimim

LDD help with LXF files

I am trying to open the LXF file in LDD for the ghostbusters headquarters cause I want to add some of the elements of that build to the new Lego one. I used the Generate instructions button in the upper right corner, but it is taking forever. It was moving along but then it looks like it started over also.

I read that it is easier to use the model view and zoom and turn to build from that but I can't even figure out how to do that.

Is the LDD app the best choice for getting the building instructions compiled from the LXF file or is there something else I should use? Am I even doing this right? Should it be moving that slow.

I'm on a Macbook Pro (2 years with 8 gb of ram).

I'm open for suggestions. Please excuse the very very basic questions but I never knew LDD existed before today and there is this huge huge world of mod out there for lego's. it's pretty overwhelming! But very very cool. The work you all do is amazing! Just amazing!

Thanks,

jim

LDD's instruction generator is pretty bad. And at the size of the GBHQ, it's probably straining. Am I correct in understanding that you modified the official set, and you want to make instructions for your version?

LDD's instruction generator is pretty bad. And at the size of the GBHQ, it's probably straining. Am I correct in understanding that you modified the official set, and you want to make instructions for your version?

Thanks so much.

No I'm very sorry. I want to use some elements from the original build for the interior vs the new lego version. I like how he had some additional video game machines inside. I also like his kitchen better and a few other elements like the lockers also. I wanted to build them so I figured I would pump out the instructions in the designer. I finally figured out how to zoom and move in the model build view but I'm not good like you guys and can't tell wheat certain elements are to build the parts I like. I was hoping the instructions generated are like lego ones so i can flip to the elements i like and see what i need and build them.

I hope that makes better sense now. Again I appreciate it so much!

jim

If you have enough time to dedicate to the creation of building instructions, you could use BlueRender BluePrint for this.

The process is not automatic, but the result is good.

Edited by Calabar

If you have enough time to dedicate to the creation of building instructions, you could use BlueRender for this.

I believe Calabar meant to say blueprint. Bluerender is for rendering.

Damn... yes! I wanted to write BluePrint. Sorry for the lapsus. :grin:

Edited by Calabar

If you have enough time to dedicate to the creation of building instructions, you could use BlueRender BluePrint for this.

when you say enough time. . . maybe i don't even understand what the instructions are that ldd puts out. are they same as what you get with a regular lego set for instructions or different?

using blueprint. . . is it pretty straight forward?

I tried o download blueprint but doesn't run on a mac. I don't own a windows machine.

jm

Edited by jimim

when you say enough time. . . maybe i don't even understand what the instructions are that ldd puts out. are they same as what you get with a regular lego set for instructions or different?

using blueprint. . . is it pretty straight forward?

I tried o download blueprint but doesn't run on a mac. I don't own a windows machine.

jm

LDD's instruction generator doesn't put out instructions that work like normal set instructions. It lacks some logic, which leads to steps where it will tell you to put bricks inside areas which have already been completely blocked.

Blueprint isn't automatic, because you have arrange the steps yourself, but you get better results.

You said earlier in the topic that you want to figure out which parts you need. Maybe you would be better off just selecting the parts you want out of the model and moving them into a new file, where you can take each piece apart.

LDD's instruction generator doesn't put out instructions that work like normal set instructions. It lacks some logic, which leads to steps where it will tell you to put bricks inside areas which have already been completely blocked.

Blueprint isn't automatic, because you have arrange the steps yourself, but you get better results.

You said earlier in the topic that you want to figure out which parts you need. Maybe you would be better off just selecting the parts you want out of the model and moving them into a new file, where you can take each piece apart.

Perfect! Ok how do I do that cause right now I'm only grabbing pieces one by one?! Lol. Oh man I feel so stupid. I'm actually pretty smart I think. Lol I pretty much want to grab the pinball machine, couch, tv. Things like that. If I can grab a completed piece and bring it over as a new file I can spin around I will be cool. Easier than looking through walls and floors and such.

Jim

Perfect! Ok how do I do that cause right now I'm only grabbing pieces one by one?! Lol. Oh man I feel so stupid. I'm actually pretty smart I think. Lol I pretty much want to grab the pinball machine, couch, tv. Things like that. If I can grab a completed piece and bring it over as a new file I can spin around I will be cool. Easier than looking through walls and floors and such.

Jim

The easiest way to do it would be to move out any groups that were in the model you downloaded. Do you have a link to the file you are using? I'd like to take a look at it.

If there are no groups you'll have to use the multiple selection tool (press V) and select every piece of let's say the arcade machine before dragging it.

The easiest way to do it would be to move out any groups that were in the model you downloaded. Do you have a link to the file you are using? I'd like to take a look at it.

If there are no groups you'll have to use the multiple selection tool (press V) and select every piece of let's say the arcade machine before dragging it.

http://www.swissgb.ch/lego-ghostbusters-hq-v2/

it's just the original GB headquarters build. I just want to pull out certain parts of room details cause his are great.

thanks again. i'm very sorry for all the basic questions for the pro's here.

jim

He meant a link to the LXF file you want to use as a basis for your modified model.

that is the page with the file. i just downloaded it from there. i haven't touched it. the one on my computer is the same that he has for download his site.

All right, so the model provided has groups for pretty much every piece of furniture, which makes this really easy.

800x426.jpg

So if you click on the groups tab with the model open, you'll be able to scroll through all the individual items. Just click on the group picture to select the item. Then you can click on the templates tab, make it a new template, and switch to a new file. Then import the item from the templates.

All right, so the model provided has groups for pretty much every piece of furniture, which makes this really easy.

800x426.jpg

So if you click on the groups tab with the model open, you'll be able to scroll through all the individual items. Just click on the group picture to select the item. Then you can click on the templates tab, make it a new template, and switch to a new file. Then import the item from the templates.

perfect. very easy. that will do nicely cause i can just click on it piece by piece to build out what i want. i really appreciate the time you took to help me out over the past few days!

jim