Sign in to follow this  
scuotter

Winter Village: Landscape

Hello!

Here's my MOC: I've made it mostly because my girlfriend wants a winter village diorama for this Christmas display, but we've only the Santa's Workshop and the new Toy Shop.

I don't want to add other buildings except for stands and stalls, so I've taken ispiration by some old WV sets to make this one...and...Here's our landscape! It includes an iced pond and an ice scake rent, a Reindeer paddock and a Choose-and-Cut-Your-Tree Stand. There's also a small house, MOCed from the 40106.

DSC_0465_small.jpg

As you can see it's made to fit quite tightly an Ikea Lack table (55x55 cm)

DSC_0474_small.jpg

and here some details.

DSC_0478_small.jpg

DSC_0488_small.jpg

DSC_0492_small.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Everyone!!

Edited by scuotter

You made a terrible choice with that glossy red Ikea table to make the pictures on. It looks like there is lake of blood in the first picture, while on the other it's just disturbing and it makes it hard to appreciate the model... which is actually really nice. If only you chose white, blue, maybe even woden base for it, the result would look hundred times better :)

Looks good! I may steal your general layout for an Arctic display since I've never gotten around to making one.

:) thanks!

The key is use wedges and some plate. Also mixing yellowed and new white parts is not so annoying. If you bricklink the parts, the wedges are quite cheap, so it allows for a bigger display (as i'm going to do for an Hoth scenario).

You made a terrible choice with that glossy red Ikea table to make the pictures on. It looks like there is lake of blood in the first picture, while on the other it's just disturbing and it makes it hard to appreciate the model... which is actually really nice. If only you chose white, blue, maybe even woden base for it, the result would look hundred times better :)

oooops! indeed you're right! it could have been perfect for a Pillage The Village Photo! :blush:

It's because I've made the Xmas Village Display on that table and I'm quite accustomed at this contrast (and you'll admit that red and white is rather Christmassy). Also i would not use a white base because i fear that it would been more difficult take a good photo with white lego on white background.

(in the last photo, the one with the detail of the tree shop, there's contrast with the red but it almost merges with the white of the wall.)

...and last but not least, i've got a reflex camera, but i'm still taking photograph on full-auto mode :D

but..thanks for appreciating the model :)

Looks very nice, i like your creation of ice. What is beneath the ice?

thanks!

since I'm lacking trans-blue tiles I couldn't make the iced pond in the "classic" way; also, I don't like the studs on the ice....then i realized that i'd quite a bunch of windscreens of the right color. Under them i placed some grey/green tile to make the bottom of the pond (and to try to give deepness)...ok some is also here to snot the windscreens to the baseplate :D

Then i've covered the edges and the sides of the windscreen with white wedges and plates.

With propper settings, good lighting and not much of a flash, white base and backgrounds do well with lego white, yet your concern is correct - getting this set up properly is tricky. That's why I'd recommend blue rather than white :) Red, however christmassy, acts as a way to big disturbance here. You are right though that last picture is doing quite well.

This looks like a scenario from a horror movie titled "Winter Village: Pool of Blood II" or something similar. It really detracts from your build. :sceptic:

well...ok: terrible backgrounds choice.

after the contest's closure i'll post a photo of the complete Village, of course with red "earth" :D