Werlu Ulcur

LAAT/i Gunship (75021): nose art?

For Christmas I got a Republic Dropship with AT-OT (yeah, I love my wife :wub:), and after assembling it, I made a family picture:

LAATc-times-LAATi_02.jpg

I really liked the newer 75021 Gunship, I think it's better built and more swooshable then the old 7676, but it has one (major) flaw in my eyes: no nose art :sceptic:. Come on, look at the LAAT/c:

LAATc-times-LAATi_01.jpg

Now compare to this:

LAATc-times-LAATi_04.jpg

I know the space for nose art is much smaller then what we had withe the older Gunship and Dropship, but there has to be something I can do. You cane easily turn the two plates around and make a bigger smooth area, like I did here:

LAATc-times-LAATi_03.jpg

I just have to find a sticker that could be used there. I was almost inclined to use those yellow attention stickers - they're 1×4 and come in many construction sets - just to put some color there, but I would rather have a more "SW-esque" art solution.

Any ideas?

Edited by Werlu Ulcur

The problem is that they've all done it for the big panel on the older Gunship. I would like to see something that would fit, both aesthetically and in terms of size, the smaller area that the newer version offers.

You could probably change out the side 4x6 panels w/studs around the edge for one big 6x6 tile, then resize the decals appropriately.

If I'm not mistaken a white 6×6 is not available, right?

Just checked on BL and there's only a light bley available. In theory the sticker would cover all of it, but the borders will show. Would it work?

I have modified my 7676 gunship and had done exactly that. I cut the stickers 2 studs off, and was left with this.

1392079183m_SPLASH.jpg

full page: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/380976.

But I am sure you are looking for something more like this.

1437885899m_SPLASH.jpg

Where the nose art is actually on the nose!

It all depends what kind of nose art you want as well.

Smitty, that looks good! I'm trying to order the 6×6, and when it gets here I'll see what can be done. Next week I'll try to get some stickers printed.

Been a while since I done it, and today shooting some F1 cars I remembered that I hadn't showed what came of this. Here's how my LAAT/i looks now:

Gunship_03.jpg

Definitively not as good as the older 7676, but definitively better then it was :thumbup:.

Really liked the nose art, it's a pity that there aren't to many making nose art anymore.

A real shame indeed :sceptic:. Lego should adopt a big smooth tile up front so that whoever wants to apply a sticker can do so (like we had with the 7676).

Personally, I simply replaced the 6x4 plate by four 1x4 white tiles and applied custom nose art stickers on top. No picture sadly.

This make me feel and probably sound stupid, but I've never thought about that....