Becis

Building gearbox on 42043 need help please

Hello guys,

After six years without Lego I decided to buy lego again and I choosed the biggest Lego technic set 42043.

It is absolutely amazing, but unfortunately I stucked on the building of the gearbox from package 2.

What I did is that I builded front part of the truck from package 1, then I builded gearbox from package 2 and connected it to the part front part. Then I builded rear part from package 3 and connected it to the part 1 with gearbox.

Then I decided to test the functions:

1) Outrigers working fine > when they reach the end clutch start working and motor is still running

2) Crane > did not test it it is not mounted

3) Pump > working fine

4) the "piston" on the rear end. Here is the issue, when this reach the end of the travel clutch doesnt start to work and gears are cracking.

What I did is that I completely rebuild the gearbox and it is still the same issue, do you have any idea when can be the problem?

Best,

Becis

Thank you for quick reply. But Why this is not happening also with outrigers ?

I thought that it should work the same way

Edited by Becis

The outrigger gear train is protected by the white gear, which is a clutch and it is silent when working. However the grey cylinder is protected by it's own internal clutch, which is loud and sounds like gears skipping teeth. That's just the way it is.

For the record, I believe that overusing the Linear Actuator's internal clutch would eventually wear it off (after all, it's not a hard metal alloy). Or am I wrong?

I don't have any Power Functions elements, so I crank everything "by hand", so the potential damage is lower due to lower torque and rotation speed, but I still try not to strain the LA's too much, just in case.

I just checked again my model.

Do you mean guys by the "pistons" clutch the grey cylinder with three gears? Because here these three gears skipping the teeth at the end

Yes the "piston"aka actuator has its own clutch build in which in this case is very noisy

It may look like the gears are skipping but they are still turning

I just checked again my model.

Do you mean guys by the "pistons" clutch the grey cylinder with three gears? Because here these three gears skipping the teeth at the end

Yes that's what we mean. When the clutch inside slips, it's not smooth like the white gear, it's a very rough stop/start motion which makes the teeth look like they are skipping but they are not. Look at the axle going into the LA (short for linear actuator, the grey cylinder) and hopefully you will see that it is still turning. It will look like the axle is turning inside a bevel gear which is not turning, but in fact the gear is turning with the axle.